Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, the digital test is coming? (LSAT field test)

dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
edited March 2017 in General 1644 karma

One of my friends would participate in coming May. It's called "Digital LSAT Pilot Test".

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

lol oh geez. I'd love to hear about your friend's experience in May.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

People aren't going to like this :( I'm also curious to see how it goes though!

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Lord, let me hurry up and get this darn test out of the way! I can't take all the f*ckery!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I doubt it will be implemented for quite some time. Probably 2020 if even then. There was a report released some time ago where the LSAC discussed their research and ideas re: having a digital test and essentially there seem to be a few big problems with doing so. One I believe was financial. I'll see if I can find the article and I'll edit my post when I do.

It would suck to all the sudden have a digital test after practicing on paper and pencil all this time. Definitely taking in September/December, lol. Just in case.

• chgunnschgunns Alum Member
    92 karma

I would love a digital test. The LG section is make or break for so many people, and it often comes down to who has the most time and financial resources to devote to prep. If a digital test cripples the prep industry, even for a just a few years, that is a great thing for equality of access.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

That would beyond suck! I don't think it would be this year though. I think LSAC is smart enough to understand the gravity of a change like this. I would expect some sort of major anouncement with at least a year notice. That way, no one who has been preparing for a paper test will get caught in the crossfire.

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

What fresh hell is this? I just bought 36 new pencils and a kickass sharpener I'm in love with.
    :neutral:

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

@ScooterMinion hahaha I can so relate! Went to Staples to buy wooden pencils and they be considering going Digital... da fuq!

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

Game-changer for people who took all their PT's on pirated PDF's.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

For anyone interested. Here's the link http://digitallsat.lsac.org/Pages/Default.aspx

Every test taker get a $100 gift-card.

1644 karma

"LSAC is currently not planning to discontinue the paper-and-pencil LSAT. The Digital LSAT Pilot Test is being conducted as part of research on a possible future format of the LSAT."

It seems the new format won't be implemented in a predictable future.

http://digitallsat.lsac.org/pages/faq.aspx

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@dennisgerrard Why must you torture us so?

1644 karma

@jkatz1488 Sorry. I just want to know how we need to respond to this potential change:)

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Fascinating info @dennisgerrard ! They'd have to offer a lot more than that for me to take it digitally considering the cost of the test. The good news is like @"Alex Divine" said it looks like we all have some time before the digital format is the only option.

• allanisraelallanisrael Alum Member
    edited March 2017 98 karma

@ScooterMinion What fresh hell is this? I just bought 36 new pencils and a kickass sharpener I'm in love with. I threw my head back and literally guffawed!!!! Yes, it is frwesh hell indeed! Last I checked, lawyers like antiquities so lets stick to old pencil and paper. Am so taking my test in Dec!

1644 karma

The pilot test is FREE @"nessa.k13.0"

4141 karma

Ooo so I read the FAQs page so it's like you take it for fun as your score won't be reported to law schools. Interesting

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma

I'd be very curious to see what the "detailed performance report" would look like so if anyone here ends up taking it, please consider emailing your report for me to have a look, thanks!

1644 karma

I consider to take one,though it's two-hour flight. I would give a report if I take it.@ J.Y. Ping

edited March 2017 2573 karma

Well, for all those wanting to take the test just to see where they stand, I say go for it! If it won't count and they're paying you for it, why not? Hmm? Maybe I'll take it and then use that $100 to pay for the real deal??

https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/thumbor/1UCqC6E8YntSMsDAj9rJBiVZkw0/fit-in/1024x1024/filters:format_auto-!!-:strip_icc-!!-/2017/02/06/925/n/1922507/8b9df5695898e6f1e25586.24223435_edit_img_image_16516765_1486411880/i/What-Roll-Safe-Thinking-Meme.jpg

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Interesting for sure. Have they said if you will have access to spare paper to mark up certain sections or even map out logic games? The test would be rather ridiculous if not.

Since I'm in Columbus and they have a test site at OSU I might actually sign up for shits and giggles. I'm nowhere near ready to sit for real but it might calm some nerves of going through the process at least.

edited March 2017 1018 karma

Thanks for the info, @dennisgerrard!

After careful consideration, since I'd be entering the 7th circle of hell without my coveted pencils and sharpener, I've confirmed my application to be a digital test pilot (lol) as a test center is only 30 mins away from me.

Yippee Ki Yay, ...LSAC!

Update: still waiting for LSAC to send me my admissions ticket for this pilot test. Takes up to 48 hours to receive it once confirmation of approval is received. Talk about jumping through hoops to help them with research. Sheesh!

@"Dillon A. Wright" bumping Takamine's question to you.

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@"nessa.k13.0" Lakeland is one of the 20 Test sites - You should so do it!!! Jealous:)

edited March 2017 4141 karma

LOL @tanes256 true. Yeah @twssmith I saw that! Looks like I'll be taking it then as it's not in my nature to turn down $100 and not sate my curiosity----basically I don't have a good reason not to take it. I'm registering for it!

• chgunnschgunns Alum Member
    92 karma

Grape job distributing pilot centers across the nation. /sarcasm font

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@"nessa.k13.0" YAY! Hope it doesn't fill up - my girls got an email about it distributed by Georgia Tech - which I would not consider a pre-law hotbed for interest, lol...

• TakamineTakamine Alum Member
    154 karma

Just signed up for it on 5/20 in Houston. Some interesting details in the confirmation email. @"Dillon A. Wright" Any LSAC violations if I share details?

edited March 2017 2573 karma

@twssmith where did you see Georgia Tech? I didn't see any sites for GA.

Update: Nevermind. I misread your comment.

12637 karma

@Takamine said:
    Just signed up for it on 5/20 in Houston. Some interesting details in the confirmation email. @"Dillon A. Wright" Any LSAC violations if I share details?

Unless the email says not to share you should be fine! Just keep following forum rules. :)

• xtrfalconxtrfalcon Alum Member
    148 karma

Wow. Surprised Las Vegas was selected to be a pilot test site. Considering it's free of charge, doesn't count, $100 for free... I don't see too many downsides to taking it. I should be through CC and starting a few PT's by then, so I'm super stoked to see what kind of performance report is provided after. I can feel myself getting nervous already!

edited March 2017 1997 karma

Eh, I signed up. No harm I suppose, and it'll hopefully allow me to get out the jitters of test-day anxiety and calm some nerves so I'm more prepared for the real thing. The confirmation email did share the following info :

The following features are automatically available for the Digital LSAT Pilot Test:
    • Stylus
    • Scratch paper
    • Multiple font sizes
    • Adjustable line spacing
    • Brightness adjustment
    • Android accessibility features such as:
    o Large text
    o High-contrast text
    o Touch-and-hold delay (none, short, medium, long)
    o Magnification gestures
    o Color inversion
    o Color correction including deuteranomaly (red-green), protanomaly (red-green), and tritanomaly (blue-yellow)

The stylus and scratch paper are the interesting parts. Maybe we will be able to mark up the on screen prompts and prevent having to copy everything back over to blank paper? This would be immensely helpful for LR/RC. If we can diagram LG's that would also be a huge time saver instead of having to jump back and forth between the tablet and your paper to copy the rules over. Should be fun :smile:

12637 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    Eh, I signed up. No harm I suppose, and it'll hopefully allow me to get out the jitters of test-day anxiety and calm some nerves so I'm more prepared for the real thing. The confirmation email did share the following info :

The following features are automatically available for the Digital LSAT Pilot Test:
    • Stylus
    • Scratch paper
    • Multiple font sizes
    • Brightness adjustment
    o Large text
    o High-contrast text
    o Magnification gestures
    o Color inversion
    o Color correction including deuteranomaly (red-green), protanomaly (red-green), and tritanomaly (blue-yellow)

The stylus and scratch paper are the interesting parts. Maybe we will be able to mark up the on screen prompts and prevent having to copy everything back over to blank paper? This would be immensely helpful for LR/RC. If we can diagram LG's that would also be a huge time saver instead of having to jump back and forth between the tablet and your paper to copy the rules over. Should be fun :smile:

I like the colorblind and accessibility options! I myself am a tritanomaly colorblind guy and it's really rare for places to have that (since tritanomaly is very rare to begin with!)

The stylus and scratch paper options are nice too. People were wondering how they were going to do LG on a tablet, that explains that. Let us know how this goes! I'm very interested to hear all about it.

1997 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

• Stylus
    • Scratch paper
    • Multiple font sizes
    • Brightness adjustment
    o Large text
    o High-contrast text
    o Magnification gestures
    o Color inversion

I like the colorblind and accessibility options! I myself am a tritanomaly colorblind guy and it's really rare for places to have that (since tritanomaly is very rare to begin with!)

The stylus and scratch paper options are nice too. People were wondering how they were going to do LG on a tablet, that explains that. Let us know how this goes! I'm very interested to hear all about it.

Yeah I can't say I've ever met someone who has mentioned being tritanomaly colorblind. (I don't mean anything rude by the following statement I just don't know how to word it less bluntly.. I'm genuinely interested) Would having accommodations be beneficial for someone with your condition? With the LSAT being exclusively black text?

It is nice they are opening up the range of accommodations though. I'll be sure to write up a summary of the experience afterwards so everyone else can ask questions/learn from my shortcomings haha

• smseraj3smseraj3 Alum Member
    edited April 2017 162 karma

Is anyone else getting a "runtime error"??

Or it is because there is a specific application period that I have to wait for?

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

I kind of want to sign up. Will it help with test day jitters for June? Who knows... I can't imagine how to do the LG section in this format. Crazy.

1997 karma

@smseraj3 said:
    Is anyone else getting a "runtime error"??

Or it is because there is a specific application period that I have to wait for?

I kept crashing the webpage because the picture I was uploading was too large. Maybe try that. Or try a different browser. I had issues between Chrome and Firefox. The application window should be open though.. I haven't heard that they are closing it yet.

@RafaelBernard said:
    I kind of want to sign up. Will it help with test day jitters for June? Who knows... I can't imagine how to do the LG section in this format. Crazy.

I'm hoping it calms my nerves; that's why I signed up at least. As far as LG go, they said you will have scrap paper you can use as well as a stylus for the tablet (I'm assuming you'll just be able to digitally mark up the pages similar to how we do now except on the tablet)

12637 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    Yeah I can't say I've ever met someone who has mentioned being tritanomaly colorblind. (I don't mean anything rude by the following statement I just don't know how to word it less bluntly.. I'm genuinely interested) Would having accommodations be beneficial for someone with your condition? With the LSAT being exclusively black text?

No offense taken! We're a rare breed. :P

It's not necessary for paper but it definitely will be for the test if it transitions to tablet. Lots of options on there that bleed into the background without colorblind modes.

1997 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

No offense taken! We're a rare breed. :P

It's not necessary for paper but it definitely will be for the test if it transitions to tablet. Lots of options on there that bleed into the background without colorblind modes.

Oh very cool. I didn't even think to consider the blacklight bleed. That sounds like a migraine waiting to happen.

2573 karma

That stylus worries me. I'd probably just use the scratch paper. I have a Galaxy Tab something but I don't use the stylus because I think it's too small. I also had issues retrieving my markups before after shutting down so I just quit using it. Hopefully there isn't anything complicated about saving in case you have to come back before time expires. I haven't checked the site but does it give the dimensions of the tablets?? I'm sure it'll be bigger than a 7" but how big do tablets get? This just seems all bad to me. :neutral:

edited April 2017 1018 karma

@tanes256 said:
    That stylus worries me. I'd probably just use the scratch paper. I have a Galaxy Tab something but I don't use the stylus because I think it's too small. I also had issues retrieving my markups before after shutting down so I just quit using it. Hopefully there isn't anything complicated about saving in case you have to come back before time expires. I haven't checked the site but does it give the dimensions of the tablets?? I'm sure it'll be bigger than a 7" but how big do tablets get? This just seems all bad to me. :neutral:

Agreed. But only one way to find out. So into hell I must go...

...yay, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of LSAC, I shall fear no questions...

edited April 2017 1997 karma

@tanes256 said:

If I had to guess, I would hope they are using some sort of proprietary software that saves all of your markups. I can't imagine the hysteria if you get an app crash or something like the tablet locking up/freezing/resetting lol. It'll be a strange experience without question.

• noahbh10noahbh10 Alum Member
    44 karma

I just signed up to take it this morning. Here is the link if anyone would like to sign up for some extra practice. http://digitallsat.lsac.org/Pages/Default.aspx

• nicole.ann.keimnicole.ann.keim Alum Member
    22 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    I'd be very curious to see what the "detailed performance report" would look like so if anyone here ends up taking it, please consider emailing your report for me to have a look, thanks!

I'll be taking the test. When I get the report I'll send it to you!

• WalliumsWalliums Member
    373 karma

Boo, Houston is all full and I'm not driving out to San Antonio.

1997 karma

I'm curious to chat other students up the day of the test. I wonder if it will be primarily new comers looking for experience with the test to calm nerves, or individuals who have already sat and just want a free 100$.

1644 karma

I would say most are students preparing for LSAT.

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

I would love to sign up but no NYC location available. So sad!!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited April 2017 10774 karma

I tried as well and no locations available in Dallas! That's just crappy. Dallas is such a big city, how did they miss that? !

1644 karma

I would say they miss Seattle as well. @Sami

2573 karma

@Sami I think they missed some big cities on purpose. No Atlanta either.