PT24.S4.G1 - in a certain recipe contest

inactiveinactive Alum Member
in Logic Games 12637 karma

Hey guys,

A 7Sager wrote in with a question that I thought you guys could help out with! Here it is:

I recently enrolled in your program and I had a technical question to ask you about one of your lessons. I believe you covered it however just for clarification, in bi-conditionals referring to Logic Games (in/out) in specific Prep-Test 24, Section 4-Game 1. One of the rules states that Fenugreek is not included in the same recipe as Nutmeg. When I wrote out the rule, N /F, however there is another rule that ultimately connects through G N (Ginger in same recipe as Nutmeg). I wanted to ask, when you diagrammed it on your lesson, you wrote the top rule as F/N (aren't they the same?). And ultimately your chain was F/G/N however mine turned into GN/F (/N going from outside to N in the middle). So....am I wrong? Isn't just N/F and F/N contrapositives but switched around, so I guess I'm deciding which side to put my / though (If I should have negated my N or F and if it should always be on the "right side" or can it be on the "left", it's interchangeable right?, but my rule seems ultimately a little "messed" up in comparison. I could use a quick clarification. I had a question and didn't know to whom I should write, thank you very much! I could really appreciate your help!

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-24-section-4-game-1/

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Hey guys,

A 7Sager wrote in with a question that I thought you guys could help out with! Here it is:

When I wrote out the rule, N /F, however there is another rule that ultimately connects through G N (Ginger in same recipe as Nutmeg). I wanted to ask, when you diagrammed it on your lesson, you wrote the top rule as F/N (aren't they the same?).

Yes. F/N and N/F are the same. They are both saying "the recipe has either Fenugreek or Nutmeg".

And ultimately your chain was F/G/N however mine turned into GN/F (/N going from outside to N in the middle). So....am I wrong?

I haven't looked at the explanation on 7sage, but the correct rules are "F/GN" or "GN/F" depending on how you write them out, the order doesn't matter. I don't know where F/G/N comes from, but if you have either G or N, you have to have the other as well, based off of the last rule.

Isn't just N/F and F/N contrapositives

No. Contrapositives involve negating both sides after flipping them. There isn't really a contrapositive involved here, but I guess you could make it -N/-F (if you started with F/N) - which doesn't help anything in this scenario as it is translated into "either the recipe doesn't have nutmeg or it doesn't have fenugreek. I would recommend revisiting the contrapositive's lesson. https://7sage.com/lesson/the-contrapositive/

• arash287arash287 Member
    edited March 2017 21 karma

Meant to say Original : F<-->/N<-->/G from the video
    Mine: G<-->N<-->/F or N <->G<->/F
    I see it though, N and G are interchangeable as long as they are in or out together. Thank you.