Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help! did so awful on my first prep test

tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
edited March 2017 in General 300 karma

I need encouragement. I did so bad on my first preptest (139) and really want to reach 160. I work full time and just quit my part-time job so I can focus more on the LSAT. I currently try and study about 3 hours a day minimum and 5 hours a day mininmum on the weekends. I just ended the curriculum but with this score I'm feeling like I didn't learn anything (which I hope isn't true). My PT schedule currently is:

Saturdays: Preptest at 12PM
Sundays- Friday: Blind review/ Review my answers/ Understand what I got wrong
Saturdays: Repeat

I want to finish my review of my preptest tonight so I can start drilling the types of problems I'm getting wrong. Any success stories simliar to mine? I WAS thinking of the June test but with this first score I'm not sure I should anymore.

Comments

• ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
    156 karma

Don't feel discouraged! I would suggest you go through some of the fundamentals before you start doing PT's! maybe focus on drilling and doing full sections from the bundle (pt 1-35) and once you feel you can apply what you've learned in the curriculum to full sections start taking PTs!
    good luck

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Encouragement is here my friend!

First, understand that this is your FIRST lsat after finishing the core curriculum. I'll be honest, I felt the same way after going through (most of it) the first time that I actually decided to do just start from lesson 1 all over again,. I learned so much going through it again, doing all the drill sets, and really actively listening. I think with the 7sage video lessons it often puts the student in a passive role, i.e., listening to lessons without doing much for much of the time. Now of course there are plenty of interactive quizzes and problem sets along the way -- how did you fair on those?

Also, did you take a timed diagnostic? If not, don't worry. But it would be nice to see if you had improved any. But your first PT really is just a great learning experience. It is a blessing in disguise. It will give you tons of data on where you need work.

I suggest doing a very close post-mortem on your first test. Really break down each question down to its logical components. Then really write out your own explanations BEFORE looking up JY's or anyone else's.

Are you missing tons of questions in on particular section? For example, if you are missing tons on LG make sure to begin fool proofing the games and just watching the explanation videos for them.

Lastly, and most importantly, we've all been here. The first one is the toughest. But you need to learn to love the process and see the LSAT like a game you're trying to beat.

Don't rush to take more PTs. Really spend time identifying why you are missing questions. Misreading? Mis-understanding the lawgic? Not being fast enough/timing issues? I would suggest for now to practice taking timed sections and drilling. PTs gauge your progress, but we often don't learn much from taking them. We learn from dissecting and BR'ing and drilling the weaknesses they expose after!

Feel free to PM me anytime with any questions. We're all in this together. You can get to that 160! Good luck :)

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@tcookPHL no worries! I think my diagnostic was a 141. I'm now into the high 160s. Just stick with it. It'll happen. Don't pressure yourself with a test date. Just sit when you know you're ready.

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thanks!! I did take a timed diagnostic but I'll let you know I'm going through it now BRing and I'm like "wtf, why did I choose that answer?!". I'm definitely in this for the long haul so I'm going to BR this current test and then see where I'm super weak at. I am going through every question and writing down what I thought the correct answer was, if it's the same, or if I'm changing it and WHY. Hopefully this can give me some insight to my reasoning and then I drill where I'm weak at.

I also made a binder of all the LG games from the curriculum. Cool tip: to save paper you can put the games front to back in a paper protector sheet and use it as a dry erase board!

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    315 karma

Hey TCook,

I wanted to say that you shouldn't be discouraged by your PT. It's the first time you're doing the test in a pressure-packed manner and you're so unfamiliar with the intricacies with the standardized test, that it's kinda like a shock to your system.

With that said, I like everything you've outlined to do, and it should set you up for great success.
    Looking forward to hearing about your success :smile:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tcookPHL said:
    @"Alex Divine" Thanks!! I did take a timed diagnostic but I'll let you know I'm going through it now BRing and I'm like "wtf, why did I choose that answer?!". I'm definitely in this for the long haul so I'm going to BR this current test and then see where I'm super weak at. I am going through every question and writing down what I thought the correct answer was, if it's the same, or if I'm changing it and WHY. Hopefully this can give me some insight to my reasoning and then I drill where I'm weak at.

I also made a binder of all the LG games from the curriculum. Cool tip: to save paper you can put the games front to back in a paper protector sheet and use it as a dry erase board!

Awesome! Seems like your seriously headed in the right direction. It's the long haul for some of us for sure but totally worth it. If you keep BR'ing your PTs and drill work this throughly then you will see some serious improvement. BR is seriously the answer to so much improvement on this test. Just recently, I've been meticulously reasoning out all of my BR answers from my one PT and many drills. It's time consuming, but I make it a goal to walk away from every answer knowing 100% why what's wrong is wrong and what is right is right.

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

Thank you! I just BR'ed and went from a 138 to a 150! So I"m actually really happy that I'm undestanding something...now to drill down and focus on what I'm getting wrong.

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

@tcookPHL said:
    Thank you! I just BR'ed and went from a 138 to a 150! So I"m actually really happy that I'm undestanding something...now to drill down and focus on what I'm getting wrong.

Thats amazing !! :)