Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just broke into the 170s for the first time!

WalliumsWalliums Member
in General 373 karma

Blasted my way into the 170s with a 175 timed on PT 70! I am so happy and enjoying a nice glass of wine. My last PT was a 168 so this is a big jump - I hope it's not an anomaly.

Comments

• elizabeth23elizabeth23 Member
    edited April 2017 46 karma

Awesome! Congratulations! :)

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

That's awesome! I hope this gives you the motivation you need to keep at it till test day :)

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@Walliums said:
    Blasted my way into the 170s with a 175 timed on PT 70! I am so happy and enjoying a nice glass of wine. My last PT was a 168 so this is a big jump - I hope it's not an anomaly.

This is great! definitely time to enjoy a nice glass of wine <3

Congratulations on this super accomplishment : )

• 1025 karma

Wooohooo!! Sip away-- this is exciting.

• Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma

Nice job! Congrats

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

Awesome!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Walliums said:

Great job! That must feeling amazing... The best part is now you can be certain you can achieve that score or better on test day :)

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

That's incredible! Congratulations!!!

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    edited April 2017 1018 karma

WELL DONE, INDEED!!!

Sláinte! (pronounced: slan-cha)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Nice! You can't stumble your way into a 175! That's skills. Even if your average doesn't immediately trend that way, it represents an enormous capability that is very real. Hoping for many more!

• WalliumsWalliums Member
    edited April 2017 373 karma

Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement! I didn't sleep much last night because I was so excited. Here's to everyone's next PT being as good or better than what they have done so far!
    @elizabeth23 @Sami @"nessa.k13.0" @TheDeterminedC @"Stevie C" @RafaelBernard @"Alex Divine" @"montaha.rizeq" @"Cant Get Right" @ScooterMinion

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Walliums said:
    Thank you all so much for your kind words and encouragement! I didn't sleep much last night because I was so excited. Here's to everyone's next PT being as good or better than what they have done so far!
    @elizabeth23 @Sami @"nessa.k13.0" @TheDeterminedC @"Stevie C" @RafaelBernard @"Alex Divine" @"montaha.rizeq" @"Cant Get Right" @ScooterMinion

Thank you! I will take it (and I need it, lol) ;) Congrats again!

• 524 karma

Congratulations, that's awesome! Keep up the good work!

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Great job!!

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

Goals.

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    315 karma

Inspiration.

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

That's awesome! Would you mind sharing your study strategies? Thank you :)

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Congrats!

• xtrfalconxtrfalcon Alum Member
    148 karma

Well deserved!

• _____Wale_____Wale Alum Member
    74 karma

Goals...

373 karma

@tcookPHL said:
    That's awesome! Would you mind sharing your study strategies? Thank you :)

Sure thing! Just tell me what you would like to know, I'll put in a couple thoughts on my situation:

• I used more than one resource to build the foundation of my LSAT knowledge. 7Sage is an incredibly valuable resource, but I also have used the LSAT Trainer and the Powerscore LG Bible. Know what kind of student you are. I'm a student that learns best by reading. I used the Trainer first, then 7Sage, and I've been using the LG Bible to fill in some gaps I have with LG. It worked for me but wont work for everyone.

• I work full-time so I have a different study schedule than most. I'm in a PT phase right now where I PT on the weekends and try to do one timed section at lunch during the weekdays, reviewing it that afternoon or that evening.

• I have done both a RC intensive and I'm in a LG intensive. While I haven't done a LR intensive per se, I think it is incredibly valuable to review the questions you got wrong and do a write-up on each (generally fleshing out what the stimulus says, what the gap in the argument is, and why each of the answer choices is right or wrong [and why you dismissed a right answer choice or got trapped by a wrong one]).

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Please know that I am not perfect (and the way I have studied has absolutely not been perfect or ideal). My PT from two weeks ago was a 168 and while I hope that my 175 is indicative of fixing some of the issues I had on that test, the PT I take this weekend will be a better indicator of that.

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    edited April 2017 315 karma

@Walliums
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your timeline like in terms of improement? I'm wondering because I am stuck in a plateau from my non-cold diagnostic (161) and am wondering what sorts of progression people saw and how quickly. I've taken about 6 PT's since beginning of March.

Thanks!

• LsatChicLsatChic Member
    191 karma

wonderful congratulations. Thanks for sharing insight on your study methods.

373 karma

@jaefromcanada said:
    @Walliums
    If you don't mind me asking, what was your timeline like in terms of improement? I'm wondering because I am stuck in a plateau from my non-cold diagnostic (161) and am wondering what sorts of progression people saw and how quickly. I've taken about 6 PT's since beginning of March.

Thanks!

I would be cautious on making comparisons since my suspicion is our studying situations are very different. I am a full-time worker who has been inconsistently studying since August 2016. Except when going through a core curriculum I was never one to consistently put in 3+ hours on weekdays and 6+ hours on weekend. With that in mind I am still happy to share:

In early August my cold diagnostic was 154. Did another PT around that timeframe, 153. I quit PTing and just continued plugging through the Trainer and then made my way through the 7Sage core curriculum. Next PT I took was in late November and was a 165. Then mid-January - 162. Late January - 167. Early February - 169. Mid-March (two weeks ago) - 168. Then you come to my most recent PT at the beginning of April (which was the first one I added an experimental to) - 175. Do not think that I have been consistently studying throughout this whole period - I haven't.

What you wont see in that are all of the intensives I did (RC was in January I believe, and I've had some LG intensives on and off, most recently from mid-March through today) and all of the timed but separate sections that I did. My BR scores have been in the 170s since November which leads me to believe that this recent score has a lot to do with shaping up some of my timing issues.

In regards to your timed plateau, how have your BR scores changed? Are your BR scores higher than your timed scores? Are you being honest with yourself about your areas of weakness and spending time addressing each on individually?