Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Properly Read a "No Statements"

gioaragon95gioaragon95 Alum Member
in General 174 karma

Hi Everyone, my first post on here wanted to get some answers on this.

So i believe that I am good at reading No statements. However, I want to be sure that I am translating/understanding them correctly. I still feel iffy when reading no statements from time-to-time. Is there any advice you can give or a rule of thumb that I should consider.

I know "No" is a group 4 translator and all that this encompass. However, when reading a statement like, "No single species of dinosaur lived throughout the entire Mesozoic era"

Can this be said as: Every single species of dinosaurs did not live throughout the entire Mesozoic era

or

Can this be said as: All single species of dinosaurs did not live throughout the entire Mesozoic era

Also, is there any other words that I can use besides "Every" and "All" that can break down No statements.

Thanks a bunch guys! Appreciate any response back.

Comments

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited April 2017 2426 karma

I think you are a little too hung up on the word as opposed to the meaning of the sentence, which is perfectly understandable as I was exactly the same at the beginning. To me, this sentence is just saying D ---> M, whether it's "all" or "every" single species means exactly the same. The meaning this sentence is trying to convey is: there are no dinosaurs in M era, (assuming no gray area for live "throughout") "that", is what we really need to comprehend and focus on, as opposed to how exactly we should utilize certain word to convey our understanding. The word is just a tool, the content/meaning is the key.

I know this isn't exactly the answer you are looking for, but it would do you no good if i were to irresponsibly tell you any "rule of thumb" for a natural language like English. My apologies.

• gioaragon95gioaragon95 Alum Member
    174 karma

No this is perfect! Thank you! I think through more practice I will naturally be able to read statements like this an infer the meaning behind it.