Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Calling all Science kids considering Patent law....

Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
in General 261 karma

I can do a BA in Bio and still do this thing right? I checked the website and they never specify what type of Bachelors degree they want.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Not sure how helpful it is but I found this: http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2009/10/13/does-my-degree-qualify-me-to-take-the-patent-bar/id=6648/

I'm also nearly 100% certain I know someone with a BA/MA in Bio who practices patent law. He also had an LLM and went to school in India so I'm not exactly sure how that effected things.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Hi @"Shireen Bhatia-1" !

For law school, you can get your bachelor's in biology and apply to law school. There is no specific major requirement. It could make you a more interesting candidate because most law school applicants major in the social sciences and humanities. If you can connect your areas of interest in your personal statement to your legal aspirations, that could positively contribute to your viability as a law school applicant.

Regarding a legal career, it seems to be the case that advanced degrees in science, in your case biology (specifically the specialty you would like to pursue like biotech, micro cell biology, etc) are helpful for patent lawyers. This could make you a more competitive candidate for a specific position because you'd have a technical expertise, that a BS won't necessarily give you.

Here's some info on a career as a patent attorney--specifically biotech-- with links to more info on the page about patent law http://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2011/10/person-career-biotech-patent-law

• Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
    261 karma

@"Alex Divine" and @"nessa.k13.0" Thanks! I was thinking about it today and realized that if the BS won't make much of a difference, that would save me alot of time my senior year and this summer to restudy for the LSAT as well as applications throughout the year.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

The way the patent bar eligibility works, is off a priority system. If you are a class A (which you want, you get automatic eligibility). If you are B or C, you have to do a lot more work and basically prove yourself competent in science. You can read more here : https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/OED_GRB.pdf

Also, under the A classification they have Biology listed as being eligible, but there is a footnote that says "Biological Sciences" is not. Which are you?

I'm also headed down the IP route; I have an electrical engineering background. Hit me up if you have any questions!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

You're welcome :)

• awyeah26awyeah26 Alum Member
    75 karma

Generally speaking, a BS/BA is insufficient for Patent Prosecution at a law firm. If you're talking about Patent Litigation, you may get by.

The market is saturated with PhDs, many of whom have post-doctoral experience. The fact that you CAN get a position with a BA/BS does not, practically speaking, mean you will get a position.

Engineering disciplines, like EE, are vastly different as the patent life cycle is much shorter which in turn leads to more continual filings.

• Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
    261 karma

Thanks everyone!