Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those of us studying "Full-Time" ....

13»

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @"Alex Divine" Ah that sounds painful. Sorry to hear that!

For games, I usually do the game once more right after watching the video to learn aspects I missed and solidify understanding that was fuzzy -- while I'm fresh. Then I'll repeat the game again the following day.

Awesome strategy and makes sense! I'm going to copy that.

And thank you man -- I was freaking out, but the plastic surgeon did a pretty good job (time will tell). I think the swelling makes it looks a lot worse than it is.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@jkatz1488 said:
    @"Alex Divine" Ah that sounds painful. Sorry to hear that!

For games, I usually do the game once more right after watching the video to learn aspects I missed and solidify understanding that was fuzzy -- while I'm fresh. Then I'll repeat the game again the following day.

+1. I would watch the video and follow along to see what you missed. Do the section again timed and on your own. Do the game every day after until you can do it successfully maybe two days in a row. The last part is personal preference. I might even recommend putting it in a pile for a week later to make sure it sticks with you.

Yeah, that makes sense. I just really want to make sure I am getting these games down! I find myself feeling like I "own" a game and pick it up the next day and feel stuck again on the same parts. I need to start watching the videos, re-doing, and repeating.

Thank you for the advice

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@JennLSAT said:
    Hey,
    I've been studying full time for a month now (studied part time after work for about 6 months prior to this) and can give some ideas about what has/hasn't been working for me. I PT twice a week and BR/review aggressively the following day for each test. Other days I drill sections and review CC, webinars, etc. I take one full day off per week no matter what, to clear my head and avoid burnout. At the beginning, I studied at home, which was strange after 4 years of an office routine. So I started treating the LSAT like a job. I wake up at 6, go to the gym or for a long walk outside (if anyone knows the Sweat With Kayla workout program, it matches perfectly with LSAT prep because it has short sessions 6 days a week - 1/2 are intense circuit training and 1/2 are cardio that help you clear your head). Then I shower, get dressed (no sweatpants) and hit the library 9-12 and 1-4. This is much more effective than studying at home, which is full of distractions. I've also started limiting myself to 1 coffee per day. The routine keeps me focused and the prescribed downtime helps me avoid guilt. I (like many people here, I'm sure) can get a little (lot) stressed with big goals/tests. So this method has helped me to manage full time study really nicely. I wish I had studied this way back when I was an undergraduate...
    anyways good luck! Would love to hear more from people about how they handle stress while studying full time (i have tried meditation but I don't think it's for me)

Hey,

Sounds like you have quite an amazing routine! I love how organized and well put together it is. I want to start trying to study at the library, but I love my office space in my apartment and don't feel like lugging around whatever packets and what not I might need. The beauty of 7Sage is that there is a lot of it all online :)

I've definitely had days where I just feel cramped inside and hit up a Panera or coffee shop to study, but damn do I lack dedication to go EVERY day to the library. I don't have it in me. I usually deal with normal interruptions decently.. I count them as down time or as part of my breaks. At least that's how I justify it lol. I think when I begin my religious PTing I'll wake up every Saturday and head to some sort of facility (library, school, wherever I can find) and do a full simulated PT with the audio proctor clips playing just to get used to the routine. I'm quite a far ways out from that though :neutral:

As far as handling stress.. I don't. I absolutely feel overwhelmed at times and just have days where I'm a complete wreck. Anxiety, swings of depression, neuroticism, you name it. It's a constant battle to keep it in check. I think I'm going to schedule an appointment just to talk to someone. I don't want medications, but I think there is something calming and reliving about just venting to an unbiased individual. I also haven't seen a doctor about my ADHD since high school and I'm considering talking to my doctor about that as well. I hate how dependent those meds can make you, but there are days where I wouldn't be able to read a LR passage even if you held a gun to my head and made me. The LSAT has definitely brought the worst of me out. (also the best, because I've shown myself I still have it in me to grind things out that I previously viewed as impossible to accomplish)

Damn, I feel you on ALL of that! I tend to be alright in the house studying all day. Usually around 4pm I walk to a corner store near my building a buy a seltzer or something just to get out of the house. Just the walk and getting out keeps me sane. Plus I love seltzer, lol.

Yeah, the mood swings of studying for the LSAT. Some days I'm like, "I will settle for nothing less than a 180. I know I can do it. Nothing can stop me." Other days I'm just depressed and worried if I'll even get into a damn school. It's neurotic for sure... I think seeking a doctor may be a great help. I take anti-anxiety meds but I've been on them for years. I'm not sure how they would affect someone just starting...

Once I start religiously PT'ing I was also thinking about hitting my local library. I live a block away from one so I really have no excuse. I just am self-conscious and don't want people to see me there everyday and think I'm homeless, lmao. I also live near my testing center and can take a test in a similar room/lecture hall where they have the tests. So I definitely want to take a few and get a feel for desk space, temperature, and where a good place to sit will be...

If we prepare this well and prudently, I am very optimistic about this test! :)

I somehow missed your post about the dog. That's crazy dude. I didn't even know it was possible to fit 60 stitches on a human lip. Godspeed my friend, hopefully that heals up quickly.

I wish I lived in a city to be able to just walk around and get outside when I need a break. I'm in the burbs though, so my break tends to be just walking my dog around the block. I would love to hike to a convenience store and get a drink or snack just as a reward for my adventure hahaha.

A homeless man studying for the LSAT sounds like the premise of a good movie.. maybe we should market that before it hits theaters. I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone who sees you in the library is likely there for their own personal reasons and won't focus too much on who they see in there, so I doubt they'll think anything of it (besides the workers, which you could chat up and inform them of your plans to remove those fears from your mind).

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@JennLSAT said:
    Hey,
    I've been studying full time for a month now (studied part time after work for about 6 months prior to this) and can give some ideas about what has/hasn't been working for me. I PT twice a week and BR/review aggressively the following day for each test. Other days I drill sections and review CC, webinars, etc. I take one full day off per week no matter what, to clear my head and avoid burnout. At the beginning, I studied at home, which was strange after 4 years of an office routine. So I started treating the LSAT like a job. I wake up at 6, go to the gym or for a long walk outside (if anyone knows the Sweat With Kayla workout program, it matches perfectly with LSAT prep because it has short sessions 6 days a week - 1/2 are intense circuit training and 1/2 are cardio that help you clear your head). Then I shower, get dressed (no sweatpants) and hit the library 9-12 and 1-4. This is much more effective than studying at home, which is full of distractions. I've also started limiting myself to 1 coffee per day. The routine keeps me focused and the prescribed downtime helps me avoid guilt. I (like many people here, I'm sure) can get a little (lot) stressed with big goals/tests. So this method has helped me to manage full time study really nicely. I wish I had studied this way back when I was an undergraduate...
    anyways good luck! Would love to hear more from people about how they handle stress while studying full time (i have tried meditation but I don't think it's for me)

Hey,

Sounds like you have quite an amazing routine! I love how organized and well put together it is. I want to start trying to study at the library, but I love my office space in my apartment and don't feel like lugging around whatever packets and what not I might need. The beauty of 7Sage is that there is a lot of it all online :)

I've definitely had days where I just feel cramped inside and hit up a Panera or coffee shop to study, but damn do I lack dedication to go EVERY day to the library. I don't have it in me. I usually deal with normal interruptions decently.. I count them as down time or as part of my breaks. At least that's how I justify it lol. I think when I begin my religious PTing I'll wake up every Saturday and head to some sort of facility (library, school, wherever I can find) and do a full simulated PT with the audio proctor clips playing just to get used to the routine. I'm quite a far ways out from that though :neutral:

As far as handling stress.. I don't. I absolutely feel overwhelmed at times and just have days where I'm a complete wreck. Anxiety, swings of depression, neuroticism, you name it. It's a constant battle to keep it in check. I think I'm going to schedule an appointment just to talk to someone. I don't want medications, but I think there is something calming and reliving about just venting to an unbiased individual. I also haven't seen a doctor about my ADHD since high school and I'm considering talking to my doctor about that as well. I hate how dependent those meds can make you, but there are days where I wouldn't be able to read a LR passage even if you held a gun to my head and made me. The LSAT has definitely brought the worst of me out. (also the best, because I've shown myself I still have it in me to grind things out that I previously viewed as impossible to accomplish)

Damn, I feel you on ALL of that! I tend to be alright in the house studying all day. Usually around 4pm I walk to a corner store near my building a buy a seltzer or something just to get out of the house. Just the walk and getting out keeps me sane. Plus I love seltzer, lol.

Yeah, the mood swings of studying for the LSAT. Some days I'm like, "I will settle for nothing less than a 180. I know I can do it. Nothing can stop me." Other days I'm just depressed and worried if I'll even get into a damn school. It's neurotic for sure... I think seeking a doctor may be a great help. I take anti-anxiety meds but I've been on them for years. I'm not sure how they would affect someone just starting...

Once I start religiously PT'ing I was also thinking about hitting my local library. I live a block away from one so I really have no excuse. I just am self-conscious and don't want people to see me there everyday and think I'm homeless, lmao. I also live near my testing center and can take a test in a similar room/lecture hall where they have the tests. So I definitely want to take a few and get a feel for desk space, temperature, and where a good place to sit will be...

If we prepare this well and prudently, I am very optimistic about this test! :)

I somehow missed your post about the dog. That's crazy dude. I didn't even know it was possible to fit 60 stitches on a human lip. Godspeed my friend, hopefully that heals up quickly.

I wish I lived in a city to be able to just walk around and get outside when I need a break. I'm in the burbs though, so my break tends to be just walking my dog around the block. I would love to hike to a convenience store and get a drink or snack just as a reward for my adventure hahaha.

A homeless man studying for the LSAT sounds like the premise of a good movie.. maybe we should market that before it hits theaters. I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone who sees you in the library is likely there for their own personal reasons and won't focus too much on who they see in there, so I doubt they'll think anything of it (besides the workers, which you could chat up and inform them of your plans to remove those fears from your mind).

Yeah, crazy man. They actually put in layers of what are called subcuticular stitches. So on the outside of my lip itself is maybe 20 stitches or so. Then they have more underneath inside because it was completely torn off. Crazy stuff. Always was a friendly dog too. That's what made me the most sad. Thank you for your well wishes.

Yeah, living in the city is a gift and a curse. You can get out and just go anywhere. However, you always end up running into people, which is great, however, sometimes you just want to listen to your music and go for a walk. Next thing you know you're talking to someone you haven't seen since 2011 for an hour. I'm a loner, lol.

Damn... That does actually sound like a great movie. A homeless man who studies for the LSAT at the library while selling..... bone density scanners on the side to support himself and son. Something like that... haha, And you're right also that no one probably cares or notices. I just get so self conscious. Like clearly the fact I drove here, have a Macbook Pro, and look clean would indicate to most I am not homeless. Yet, I still sit there anxious they all think I'm just trying to get out of the rain, lol.

edited April 2017 1997 karma

I assume since it was a friend you didn't file charges or anything against the dog? Are they making the dog be put down or anything as a mandate from the hospital?

Also..

I live a block from the library

okay nice.

Like clearly the fact I drove here, have a Macbook Pro, and look clean would indicate to most I am not homeless.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    I assume since it was a friend you didn't file charges or anything against the dog? Are they making the dog be put down or anything as a mandate from the hospital?

Also..

I live a block from the library

okay nice.

Like clearly the fact I drove here, have a Macbook Pro, and look clean would indicate to most I am not homeless.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg/300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Yeah, I don't want to file any charges or anything with the dog. I'm am pretty annoyed because I generally wasn't a fan of this dog and yet the "friend" still had to treat it like her kid and bring it everywhere...
    The funny thing is literally one month to the day (yesterday) I fractured my rib and was at the same hospital a day earlier to have check up on it. I have to be more careful on the 5th of every month and avoid the ER. It's too expensive to get hurt in this country.

Yeah, living within close proximity to the library is nice. There's tons of them here actually. I'm going to wear a designer suit, a monocle, and drink a Voss Water, just so everyone knows I'm totally not homeless. Haha. Either that or I'll just take my anti-anxiety meds..

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    So... minor set back. A friend's dog bit my lip the other night and it's ... bad. 60 stitches and 7 staples I believe. It wasn't pretty. I have pics, but they're a bit graphic, so if anyone is sadomasochistic or just plain curious just DM me and I'll email them. So my lip is stitched up and I can't talk for a while.

OMG! I'm glad you're OK and can study through the pain, but WOW, 60 stitches AND 7 staples?! I hope you can heal quickly!! <3 I'm good on pics though----no thank you! lol

Still going to be on the LG grind trying to nail every one of those suckers I can. When you guys miss a question or go over time do you do the same game right after watching the video or sort of re-do it later that day.... I know everyone sort of has their own idiosyncratic way of doing it, just curious what you guys do.

Anyway, happy studying!

When I foolproof LG:
    -- I do the first one on my own,
    --try to BR it (still getting over the hurry--up--and-- check--phase),
    --THEN watch JY's video,
    --then do the game again twice more right after I finish watching his video,
    --then do the game once every day for 5 more days.

Rinse and repeat for each LG. If I don't reinforce the game after JY's video at least a couple of times, it won't stick.

And yes, sometimes I end up with 7 games in one day with harder ones, until I catch up with the easier ones. Thankfully, the accumulation happens less and less, so SOMETHING is working... lol

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited April 2017 23929 karma

@ScooterMinion said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    So... minor set back. A friend's dog bit my lip the other night and it's ... bad. 60 stitches and 7 staples I believe. It wasn't pretty. I have pics, but they're a bit graphic, so if anyone is sadomasochistic or just plain curious just DM me and I'll email them. So my lip is stitched up and I can't talk for a while.

OMG! I'm glad you're OK and can study through the pain, but WOW, 60 stitches AND 7 staples?! I hope you can heal quickly!! <3 I'm good on pics though----no thank you! lol

Still going to be on the LG grind trying to nail every one of those suckers I can. When you guys miss a question or go over time do you do the same game right after watching the video or sort of re-do it later that day.... I know everyone sort of has their own idiosyncratic way of doing it, just curious what you guys do.

Anyway, happy studying!

When I foolproof LG:
    -- I do the first one on my own,
    --try to BR it (still getting over the hurry--up--and-- check--phase),
    --THEN watch JY's video,
    --then do the game again twice more right after I finish watching his video,
    --then do the game once every day for 5 more days.

Rinse and repeat for each LG. If I don't reinforce the game after JY's video at least a couple of times, it won't stick.

And yes, sometimes I end up with 7 games in one day with harder ones, until I catch up with the easier ones. Thankfully, the accumulation happens less and less, so SOMETHING is working... lol

I really want to post some pics, but it's too graphic LMAO. Yeah it took about 2 hours for the stitches and staples. To be honest, I thought it would hurt a lot more... I'm not doing too bad all things considered. Thank you though <3

And thank you for your LG help. I think that's a great way to do it. I think I just need to get over being bored re-watching the videos and just suck it up and watch, re-watch, do, and re-do the games. I'll get there eventually. I'm so excited because I feel like once I have my games down I'll finally be in that 160s range consistently! :)

edited April 2017 1018 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    And thank you for your LG help. I think that's a great way to do it. I think I just need to get over being bored re-watching the videos and just suck it up and watch, re-watch, do, and re-do the games. I'll get there eventually. I'm so excited because I feel like once I have my games down I'll finally be in that 160s range consistently! :)

You're quite welcome. Apparently, I missed an entire page of comments! :neutral:

I'm about to start a new packet today. Starting over at PT1.

Admittedly, I don't watch the videos again, unless I'm desperate and not improving on that game, because I want to figure out all of the inferences by myself. Well, sort of by myself---after JY tries to tell me.

Half the time, I'm not sure how JY reaches them (sometimes it slips right passed me), so that's what I want to work on the most.

P.S. I double dog dare you to wear the monocle to the library! And post a pic please, if you do!! :smiley:

P.P.S. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap on the 4th of every month, and do not leave the house or have anyone over for two days before and after! LMAO

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ScooterMinion said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

You're quite welcome. Apparently, I missed an entire page of comments! :neutral:

I'm about to start a new packet today. Starting over at PT1.

Admittedly, I don't watch the videos again, unless I'm desperate and not improving on that game, because I want to figure out all of the inferences by myself. Well, sort of by myself---after JY tries to tell me.

Half the time, I'm not sure how JY reaches them (sometimes it slips right passed me), so that's what I want to work on the most.

P.S. I double dog dare you to wear the monocle to the library! And post a pic please, if you do!! :smiley:

P.P.S. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap on the 4th of every month, and do not leave the house or have anyone over for two days before and after! LMAO

HAHAHA! You always crack me up! Yeah, unfortunately I am logically challenged with games. So I'll be needing to just keep rewatching and re-doing. I get bored, but I'll do whatever it takes to get down to -2/-0 because as of now I think it's the only thing keeping me out of the 165 range or so.

Haha a monocle to the library. People would think I am insane. A 6'3 black man wearing a monocle to the library. Now I feel like I have to just for the picture value, haha. Wear do they sell monocles....

And yeah, I am taking that advice. From now on during the 4th and 5th of every month I am just staying indoors. Away from animals. I might even have to have my girlfriend leave as well. I need to be extra safe, lmao.

1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Haha a monocle to the library. People would think I am insane. A 6'3 black man wearing a monocle to the library. Now I feel like I have to just for the picture value, haha. Wear do they sell monocles....

https://www.nearsights.com/collections/all-monocles

I got you fam

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Haha a monocle to the library. People would think I am insane. A 6'3 black man wearing a monocle to the library. Now I feel like I have to just for the picture value, haha. Where*** do they sell monocles....

https://www.nearsights.com/collections/all-monocles

I got you fam

O.M.G Cheaper than I thought too! I know what I'm buying next week, haha.

• poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    edited April 2017 496 karma

@"Alex Divine" oh my gosh... that sounds terrible!! I hope you have a super speedy recovery---definitely take a break when you need it! And no pictures for me..I'm good =X

As for LG, I usually try to watch the game right after I do it the first time/BR. Then I do another copy. I usually try to do another attempt the next day, checking for time and accuracy, and then another a few days/ week later. Rinse and repeat until I'm good to go on all aspects. If I'm behind on time or accuracy at any point, I'll rewatch his video (sometimes only the board setup, sometimes the whole thing).

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@poohbear said:
    @"Alex Divine" oh my gosh... that sounds terrible!! I hope you have a super speedy recovery---definitely take a break when you need it! And no pictures for me..I'm good =X

As for LG, I usually try to watch the game right after I do it the first time/BR. Then I do another copy. I usually try to do another attempt the next day, checking for time and accuracy, and then another a few days/ week later. Rinse and repeat until I'm good to go on all aspects. If I'm behind on time or accuracy at any point, I'll rewatch his video (sometimes only the board setup, sometimes the whole thing).

Aww thank you Poohbear! I think it will heal up quickly and definitely shouldn't prevent me from doing much prep this week. It happened yesterday and I got home from the ER around 1:30am so I'm not doing much today. Few games and read a chapter in The Trainer. I'll be back to it tomorrow though 100%.

I am definitely glad I asked about how to approach LG. It seems like I found my problem was feeling bad about having to re-watch videos 5x or 10x to understand. It seems like it's pretty standard and the fool proofing does work. the downside is I hate re-doing things like games over and over. In any case, as I've said, whatever it takes! I'm going to start really re-watching videos and re-doing the games immediately after. Then again the next day. Then maybe the next week to ensure I have it down.

Thanks for everything :)

• sagarpatelsagarpatel Alum Member
    164 karma

@"Alex Divine" lol "it's too expensive to get hurt in this country." I agree. either low premiums and high deductibles, or high premiums and low deductibles. "Apply for family care, get denied due to income ineligibility, take a week or two off of work or until your monthly net is below the monthly family care upper cap, ask your employer to remit a pay stub w/o the YTD, family care will reconsider and ultimately you'll lawfully be admitted. No premiums, no co-pays, just full coverage," said a friend. Not advocating, merely sharing.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@sagarpatel said:
    @"Alex Divine" lol "it's too expensive to get hurt in this country." I agree. either low premiums and high deductibles, or high premiums and low deductibles. "Apply for family care, get denied due to income ineligibility, take a week or two off of work or until your monthly net is below the monthly family care upper cap, ask your employer to remit a pay stub w/o the YTD, family care will reconsider and ultimately you'll lawfully be admitted. No premiums, no co-pays, just full coverage," said a friend. Not advocating, merely sharing.

Haha thanks brother! Worst part is I literally left my job March 31st so my healthcare is all screwed. I appreciate the technique and wish I could do something like that..... ;) haha

Anyways, yeah man I got into a car accident back in 2010 and messed my hand/arm up pretty badly. I had a few surgeries and all that.... Luckily I had insurance, but I remember seeing some of the bills that would come in the mail and it would be astonishing the amount they'll charge for a damn bandage and an Ibuprofen.

• consuelo.hernandezconsuelo.hernandez Alum Member
    16 karma

Hello @"Alex Divine" , can you include me in this? I too just started to study and on off now just like you changing my work schedule to study full time starting on Monday. I too would appreciate being part of a group to hold each other accountable and/motivate one another. Can you add me to this? My email is consuelh0423@gmail.com thank you!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"consuelo.hernandez" said:
    Hello @"Alex Divine" , can you include me in this? I too just started to study and on off now just like you changing my work schedule to study full time starting on Monday. I too would appreciate being part of a group to hold each other accountable and/motivate one another. Can you add me to this? My email is consuelh0423@gmail.com thank you!

Absolutely @"consuelo.hernandez" ! We are all in this together :) So far it's been great to have a thread to keep me accountable and motivated. It really makes a difference.

Welcome and good luck on our new journey to an amazing LSAT score.

FYI, if anyone wants to email me alexspecter1014@gmail.com is the best way to reach me :)

• consuelo.hernandezconsuelo.hernandez Alum Member
    edited April 2017 16 karma

@"Alex Divine" @Mellow_Z Sorry, joining in on this conversation too late. Not sure if this is helpful at all but, I use an HP Printer and they have a monthly subscription for printing where it's very inexpensive and, you can get coupon codes online. When I first heard about it at an Officemax I received 3 months of free printing. After that I am paying 9.99 a month and, when my ink is about to run out HP mails me new ink within the monthly cost.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/instant-ink/overview.html

1997 karma

@"consuelo.hernandez" said:
    @"Alex Divine" @Mellow_Z Sorry, joining in on this conversation too late. Not sure if this is helpful at all but, I use an HP Printer and they have a monthly subscription for printing where it's very inexpensive and, you can get coupon codes online. When I first heard about it at an Officemax I received 3 months of free printing. After that I am paying 9.99 a month and, when my ink is about to run out HP mails me new ink within the monthly cost.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/instant-ink/overview.html

My home color printer AIO is actually an HP with their subscription. The problem is, the subscriptions are rated at a "page per month" basis. Printing 3000+ pages blows that thing out of the water and they won't keep up with as much as I would end up printing.

I think I found a solution however. I'm going to just print each LG once.. and then just leave the tests blank and do all my work on scrap paper. I lose a little bit of time each game because I have to go back and forth, but if I can get my timing done doing that method, I should be way straight for real tests.

I also made spreadsheets to keep track of each different game so that I know specific scores and times (I made multiple columns for multiple dates, so I can easily track side by side to see improvement in both times and scores).

I did PT 1-3's logic games last night. I was pretty amazed how under time I was on everything. Finished all of the tests in sub-28 minutes. There was one game that was super weird and I got absolutely destroyed on, but that's because I messed up my diagramming and naturally 3 of the 5 questions was hoping you made the mistake that I did. RIP.

496 karma

Happy Monday ya'll! Hope everyone's having a solid start to their week :)

Just wanted to check in. I had a 'you should just take the test already/don't keep pushing your test date' moment from a family member this morning. Even though I know though I want to only take the test when I'm ready, I still had that small nagging voice in the back of my head that I should listen to them. So I did what I thought was the best thing I needed to do in that moment...I held my own, told her off, and then came to this thread to reassure/ground myself hahaha

Now off to some more studying and a PT later today!

1018 karma

@poohbear said:
    I did what I thought was the best thing I needed to do in that moment...I held my own

If a person isn't doing the studying for me (which no one is), then they have no business telling me when I'll be ready or not.

I've gone a few rounds with several family members on this exact topic.

Kudos!

496 karma

Aww thanks @"Bevs ScooterMinion". This is why I'm so grateful to have the 7sage community! <3

1997 karma

Checking in! @"Alex Divine" how's the recovery coming? I took last Friday off and went back to my UG and got my LoR's taken care of.. found 3 happy professors to write me one :wink: I think I'm the first engineer to go through my school and end up going to law school, so that's always fun being a first. Alternatively, it sucks missing out on a huge chunk of time to study. Fridays I'm always off work mid-day and get usually get a lot done. Always next week I suppose.

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

@"Alex Divine" Hey dude! I just now caught up on everything in this thread. Hope your lip is healing well! That sounds fricken terrible. :(

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    Checking in! @"Alex Divine" how's the recovery coming? I took last Friday off and went back to my UG and got my LoR's taken care of.. found 3 happy professors to write me one :wink: I think I'm the first engineer to go through my school and end up going to law school, so that's always fun being a first. Alternatively, it sucks missing out on a huge chunk of time to study. Fridays I'm always off work mid-day and get usually get a lot done. Always next week I suppose.

Hey! It's going well -- just got stitches/staples out. It will be a hell of a scar, but I'm just happy and grateful it's healing. Thank you for asking.

Having your LOR taken care of is a great feeling but being the first to do something is always legendary! :) Having to take time off from study can suck, but some time off and away can sometimes be more helpful in the long run. Also, if the profs were happy to write them that's always a great sign!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@RafaelBernard said:
    @"Alex Divine" Hey dude! I just now caught up on everything in this thread. Hope your lip is healing well! That sounds fricken terrible. :(

Hey man! Healing up pretty well. Thank you for asking! Yeah, it definitely was a curve ball but honestly since I left my job and been kind of doing my own thing my whole world just feels more in perspective. Bad times will open your eyes to the good stuff you weren't paying attention to. :)

1018 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Healing up pretty well. ...since I left my job and been kind of doing my own thing my whole world just feels more in perspective. Bad times will open your eyes to the good stuff you weren't paying attention to. :)

Truer words were never spoken!

I'm very happy to hear you're quickly on the mend and kicking some study a$$! <3

@Mellow_Z said:
    Checking in! ...got my LoR's taken care of.. found 3 happy professors to write me one :wink: I think I'm the first engineer to go through my school and end up going to law school, so that's always fun being a first.

That's so FABULOUS on several counts!! xo

HAPPY WEDNESDAY, Y'ALL! XOXOX

1997 karma

@"Bevs ScooterMinion" said:

@Mellow_Z said:
    Checking in! ...got my LoR's taken care of.. found 3 happy professors to write me one :wink: I think I'm the first engineer to go through my school and end up going to law school, so that's always fun being a first.

Whatever you've been eating/drinking/doing, I need to take notes from you. You've got more excitement on a random Wednesday than I have at any point during my week hahaha. I'm still counting down the clock until this evening (Yay 3 day weekend for Good Friday)

edited April 2017 1018 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@Mellow_Z said:

Whatever you've been eating/drinking/doing, I need to take notes from you. You've got more excitement on a random Wednesday than I have at any point during my week hahaha. I'm still counting down the clock until this evening (Yay 3 day weekend for Good Friday)

LOL sorry, I was shouting, wasn't I?

It's Oldies PTs Monday nights, man! I have never been this excited about a Monday. EVER!

I drink DECAF coffee and tea, get in lots of fiber, protein and veggies, and I'm doing my meditation every. day.

And most importantly, my allergy meds are working!! LMAO

Woohooooo, 3 day weekend!!

1063 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@Mellow_Z said:

LOL sorry, I was shouting, wasn't I?

It's Oldies PTs Monday nights, man! I have never been this excited about a Monday. EVER!

I drink DECAF coffee and tea, get in lots of fiber, protein and veggies, and I'm doing my meditation every. day.

And most importantly, my allergy meds are working!! LMAO

Woohooooo, 3 day weekend!!

I am also doing meditation everyday and I LOVE it! I'm on day 14 :) :)
    The other day I was thinking in British and was very confused. Then I realized it was because of headspace. Lol.

1997 karma

Damn. 2 minion gifs in 2 days. @"Cant Get Right" , it seems your Monday night oldies have broken Scooter.

• LakecolvLakecolv Member
    4 karma

Hello, I too will be on the full time study program. Good to see others out there. It will for sure help to break it up and talk to others who are in the same situation.

1018 karma

@RafaelBernard said:
    I am also doing meditation everyday and I LOVE it! I'm on day 14 :) :)
    The other day I was thinking in British and was very confused. Then I realized it was because of headspace. Lol.

LOL <3

1018 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    Damn. 2 minion gifs in 2 days. @"Cant Get Right" , it seems your Monday night oldies have broken Scooter.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA When I'm really happy, the minion gifs come out!

(My avatar is a pic of what's actually on the side of my motorcycle--class scooter.)

Welcome, @Lakecolv !! :smile:

• joe.j.hamjoe.j.ham Alum Member
    88 karma

For those who quit their FT jobs to study...
    What are your plans for after you take the test? Since there's about less than a year (+,-, depending no when you take the test) between application and potential enrollment, what kind of "work" will you guys be doing? I've read (not sure if this is confirmed) that law school admissions might ask you to explain a 6month gap in your resumes.

1997 karma

@"joe.j.ham" said:
    What are your plans for after you take the test? Since there's about less than a year (+,-, depending no when you take the test) between application and potential enrollment, what kind of "work" will you guys be doing? I've read (not sure if this is confirmed) that law school admissions might ask you to explain a 6month gap in your resumes.

Travel, relax, or get a new job; in which case you should still relax.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2017 23929 karma

@"joe.j.ham" said:

I've been doing some PT work to keep the resume free from large gaps. After I take the test I will likely return to my old job, I technically was granted a leave to pursue something tangental to the company, which is what I am doing PT now.

Re: Law schools asking about gap on resume -- perfectly fine to explain you used the time to prepare for the LSAT. 6 months isn't a huge deal.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"joe.j.ham" said:

Travel, relax, or get a new job; in which case you should still relax.

That's very sound advice. Definitely the best option if you can.

If I didn't live in such an expensive place I would love to travel/relax before law school.

1018 karma

If all goes to plan and I get at least the score I want at the first crack, I'll have one year between. So I was thinking of taking some paralegal courses in the state I'll be going to law school in---my idea of relaxing because I know those courses won't be difficult. Plus, I get a head start on that state's law in several areas (contracts, will/trusts/estates, business, and I forget the other areas the certificate program offered).

I've met several people who have done this between when they tested and were starting law school. I followed up with them after their 1L, and they were extremely pleased with their gap choice.

I considered going for an MLS, but that's too much to cram into one calendar year before I get REALLY busy. And, the rest of my life just won't allow that much room in those particular, upcoming years.

1063 karma

@"joe.j.ham" said:

I thought about this for a while as I also quit my FT job to study. I enrolled in a language course because I've always wanted to learn the language and I didn't want to have 'studying for the LSAT' as the only thing I was doing. I plan on getting a job, either FT or PT, after taking the LSAT in September and submitting my apps.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

If all goes to plan and I get at least the score I want at the first crack, I'll have one year between. So I was thinking of taking some paralegal courses in the state I'll be going to law school in---my idea of relaxing because I know those courses won't be difficult. Plus, I get a head start on that state's law in several areas (contracts, will/trusts/estates, business, and I forget the other areas the certificate program offered).

I've met several people who have done this between when they tested and were starting law school. I followed up with them after their 1L, and they were extremely pleased with their gap choice.

I considered going for an MLS, but that's too much to cram into one calendar year before I get REALLY busy. And, the rest of my life just won't allow that much room in those particular, upcoming years.

That's actually a very interesting and awesome idea! Great way to get a head start for sure!

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@ScooterMinion said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Anyone here who fool proofed PT 1-35, about how long did it take you?

I've been using the Cambridge Packets, but now I'm thinking of beginning just going in order and fool proofing all the games from the 7Sage packet.

I haven't done all PT 1-35, in fact I'm almost through 5 PTs in that range. I do them in no particular order in the hopes that I understand what type of game I am facing, so I do not focus on the extemporaneous, distracting crap.

These older ones are ridiculous! I thought newer ones were supposed to be hard, but I find I have fewer issues with the newer ones than the older ones. I can't decide if that's good or bad. lol

Yeah, I originally was doing them by type from the old Cambridge Packets. I think while you're learning they can be a useful tool - doing like 10 ordering games in a row really helps you to catch on to things.

However, I've recently thought about just doing all the PT 1-35 straight-up fool proof method style and do them all 10x or until I am under time. Before I hit PT'ing hard I want to make sure my LG game is a bit more consistent.

The older ones certainly seem ridiculous. Granted, I've seen very few of the new games, but from what I can tell there certainly are some odd balls in the first 35.

So that's what will be my plan today to begin fool proofing a few PTs worth of tests, review, lunch and then drill some question types I've been a bit week on.

Hope your day is productive and positive! :)

@"Alex Divine" I know this is old but I came across it and I was wondering do you crop what kind of game it is since the cambridge packets label it? I'm thinking it would be better for me to NOT drill it by type at this point as well..

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@sillllyxo said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@ScooterMinion said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Anyone here who fool proofed PT 1-35, about how long did it take you?

I've been using the Cambridge Packets, but now I'm thinking of beginning just going in order and fool proofing all the games from the 7Sage packet.

I haven't done all PT 1-35, in fact I'm almost through 5 PTs in that range. I do them in no particular order in the hopes that I understand what type of game I am facing, so I do not focus on the extemporaneous, distracting crap.

These older ones are ridiculous! I thought newer ones were supposed to be hard, but I find I have fewer issues with the newer ones than the older ones. I can't decide if that's good or bad. lol

Yeah, I originally was doing them by type from the old Cambridge Packets. I think while you're learning they can be a useful tool - doing like 10 ordering games in a row really helps you to catch on to things.

However, I've recently thought about just doing all the PT 1-35 straight-up fool proof method style and do them all 10x or until I am under time. Before I hit PT'ing hard I want to make sure my LG game is a bit more consistent.

The older ones certainly seem ridiculous. Granted, I've seen very few of the new games, but from what I can tell there certainly are some odd balls in the first 35.

So that's what will be my plan today to begin fool proofing a few PTs worth of tests, review, lunch and then drill some question types I've been a bit week on.

Hope your day is productive and positive! :)

@"Alex Divine" I know this is old but I came across it and I was wondering do you crop what kind of game it is since the cambridge packets label it? I'm thinking it would be better for me to NOT drill it by type at this point as well..

No, I didn't crop them when I drilled from the packets. When I was first learning and drilling games, the point was to do a bunch of the same types of games. I truly think there is something helpful about doing a bunch of the same game type when you are learning so it doesn't matter if you know what the games types are. That said, if you are capable of doing each particular question type, I think your time will be better spent doing 7Sage fool proof method with the bundle.