Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wohooo i got accepted for extra time!! any studying tips?

theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
edited April 2017 in General 1287 karma

my question is, should i keep studying as if i had 35 min per serction? or should i maybe put my clock at 45, this is the best news I could get since the test is around the corner, how can i take the best possible advantage of this as to get the best possible score considering the time extension. ? any tips?

Comments

• flashyyyyflashyyyy Member
    edited April 2017 29 karma

Not trying to start anything here but why is extra given to people when we're all graded on the same scale? I have AOADD and never bothered to ask for extra time.

One part of me is interested and the other part of me doesn't like the fact that people can get this advantage on the same scoring system.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

well i got extra time for being awesome .. sorry.. JK
    i applied, im terrible at test, i have ptsd and Adhd, they gave it to me I'll take its, if its not fair i dont know, sorry you feel that way @flashyyyy

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    edited April 2017 419 karma

Hell no. Time it at 53 if you got 50%. It gets easier as you progress.

Congrats on the accommodations. I know that feeling of relief and the extra time is very helpful. I was put in a classroom by myself too, so hopefully you'll get your own proctor like me.

You just have to figure out what works best for you. I try to allot the last 30 min. on LR to questions 14/15 and beyond, since those usually have the longest stims and tend to contain MTF and match the reasoning. RA and SA are common near the end as well. I also like to have 5 min. or so to go back and revisit questions I was shaky on.

Then on RC, I usually try to allot like 10-12 minutes per question, enough so I have 5 minutes or so left to go back without feeling rushed. I try to stick to these limitations, but I have to be flexible as well. Occasionally, there are very hard RC passages and very hard logic games that require extra time and so you have to be prepared.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

I would do a test run with 45 minutes so that you can practice what you will do with the extra time, but for like 75% of my practice I would do it would the 35 minutes just so that it will be easier on test day. If you do a re-take PT I would definitely do it with the 35 minutes. Cutting my time to 25 minutes has been great for making me work faster and when I simulate test conditions with 35 minutes my pacing is much better. I hope this strategy can work for you too!

1287 karma

@extramedium @"nessa.k13.0" they gave me 53 mini was thinking ill do a pt test sat with that time and then do them at 45 min, those extra 8 are for comfort, but i like the idea of being able to do it at around 35 and the rest be comfort, i just really want to take advantage of the time and focus on every question thanks for the input guys

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    edited April 2017 419 karma

@flashyyyy said:
    Not trying to start anything here but why is extra given to people when we're all graded on the same scale? I have AOADD and never bothered to ask for extra time.

One part of me is interested and the other part of me doesn't like the fact that people can get this advantage on the same scoring system.

People with disabilities have different requirements from the general population. Pretty much all there is to it. You wouldn't give a person in a wheelchair the same rules as a gold-medal winning Olympic runner with fully functioning limbs in a race. There has to be room to even the playing field.

4141 karma

Ah I see yeah 45 mins would be great to start with since you have 53 minutes.

@flashyyyy if you have a diagnosed condition and you need time, why not apply for it?

• flashyyyyflashyyyy Member
    edited April 2017 29 karma

@extramedium said:

@flashyyyy said:

People with disabilities have different requirements from the general population. Pretty much all there is to it. You wouldn't give a person in a wheelchair the same rules as a gold-medal winning Olympic runner with fully functioning limbs in a race. There has to be room to even the playing field.

I disagree. In the LSAT we have to compete against each other on the same test. The scenario you brought up is something that would never happen. People in wheel chairs compete against other people in wheel chairs.

How exactly would you quantify "evening the playing field". If you're going to give people with mental disorders extra time, why not give it to people that have Lower GPA's as well? That would be another thing that would playing field would it not?

I just don't like the fact that a person could potentially take a seat from me (or anybody else for that matter) in a Law School because they were given extra time.

Speaking as somebody who has the the same disorder as the OP, I just don't agree with it.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited April 2017 10774 karma

Congratulations @"theLSATdreamer "

I would probably just practice it with the right amount of time. If you need extra time, it probably wouldn't help to go at 35 minute mark and you might end up getting more wrong that way. Good luck!

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

@flashyyyy said:

Well, lets consider some type of mental illness such as schizophrenia. Now, if this person is hearing voices in their head as they are trying to parse through a difficult LR stimulus or a dense RC passage, they are at an obvious disadvantage compared to you and I. The idea of extra time is to accommodate those who are at a disadvantage due to mental illness.

edited April 2017 4141 karma

@flashyyyy said:
    I disagree. In the LSAT we have to compete against each other on the same test. The scenario you brought up is something that would never happen. People in wheel chairs compete against other people in wheel chairs.

How exactly would you quantify "evening the playing field". If you're going to give people with mental disorders extra time, why not give it to people that have Lower GPA's as well? That would be another thing that would playing field would it not?

I just don't like the fact that a person could potentially take a seat from me (or anybody else for that matter) in a Law School because they were given extra time.

Speaking as somebody who has the the same disorder as the OP, I just don't agree with it.

I guess I don't see the LSAT as quite so analogous to a race. We could both miss the same number of questions and score in the same percentile.

If someone with a disorder needs and gets more time, I don't see why they should be penalized for it, not to mention all the challenges they may have had to overcome to get to where they are versus people without that disorder. Yes, there will be people who will abuse the system, but I don't think this means that others who need the accommodation should not get it. If a person qualifies for accommodations and they choose not to take it, that's fine and that's a choice I would not project onto other people as a requirement.

If you mean why not give people with disorders accommodations in college, colleges in the US are required to accommodate students of different abilities. I don't think you can conflate someone having a low gpa and someone who needs accommodations on a standardized test. Those are two very different things.

1287 karma

@Sami thanks sami , yeah youre right, i'll use the whole time to study as well, probably round it down to 50 and just take it as is thank you and thanks @jknauf for responding to to @flashyyyy , all i can say is, i have adhd and ptsd, i served 7 years @flashyyyy and my ptsd triggers my adhd, i get caught up in the situation and cant focus onthe test it self, I apologize, i dont know if its fair honestly i didnt meanto offend, my ptsd affected my gpa directly bc of testing, meanwhile i did great on essays where I could do at home with no one around. maybe youre right and its not fair, however i am very thankful God gave me a chance to actually have a decent chance at this test my test timed at 55 min at home i get 161 at 35 i get 149

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited April 2017 12637 karma

@flashyyyy said:

Just because you can function without the extra help does not mean other people can't benefit from the extra time. Don't be that guy.

@flashyyyy said:

That's the exact point they were making though... The LSAT is not made the same way as the Olympics is. People with disabilities are measured the exact same way as people without, which is why having accommodations and extra time is necessary.

1. GPA is not a measure of your intelligence.
    2. People with disabilities are not stupid. Your post implies that they are.
    3. Again, just because you can function without these accommodations does not mean other people cannot.

If you're so worried about someone "taking your seat" because they got a little extra help and you have the same thing OP has, go get accommodations. They're available to you because you have AOADD (which, btw, it's just "ADHD" now. They changed it all to be combined).

I have ADHD and would absolutely need accommodations should I take the test.

• TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" Well put sir.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" Dang, you sure you don't wanna take the test man? You've just dispensed the ability to spot the unwarranted assumptions/flaws all over the place and did an excellent weakening question on this, probably a 5 star difficulty one.

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

As a trauma surgeon and former Army physician (civilian) who has taken care of many service members with brain injury manifesting as PTSD/ADHD.... these are serious and debilitating injuries that can confer significant disability. Just because they are "not visible" disabilities to a casual observer does not mean they are not real.

It is a step in the right direction that the Accomodations panel at LSAC is understanding that and granting requests. I applaud all veterans who have the courage to be open and honest about their injuries and to ask for help if they need it. It is for them to judge whether the request for extra time is appropriate, not for bystanders to pass judgement based on what they have decided is best for themselves.

I would encourage anybody else who feels they might need accomodations to request it. If someone who has a similar condition decides differently, then that is their choice.

• theLSATgrind2017theLSATgrind2017 Alum Member
    edited April 2017 440 karma

@"theLSATdreamer " said:
    @Sami thanks sami , yeah youre right, i'll use the whole time to study as well, probably round it down to 50 and just take it as is thank you and thanks @jknauf for responding to to @flashyyyy , all i can say is, i have adhd and ptsd, i served 7 years @flashyyyy and my ptsd triggers my adhd, i get caught up in the situation and cant focus onthe test it self, I apologize, i dont know if its fair honestly i didnt meanto offend, my ptsd affected my gpa directly bc of testing, meanwhile i did great on essays where I could do at home with no one around. maybe youre right and its not fair, however i am very thankful God gave me a chance to actually have a decent chance at this test my test timed at 55 min at home i get 161 at 35 i get 149

@"theLSATdreamer " You really have no reason to apologize. You can't fix someone else's misconceptions.

• nima250nima250 Alum Member
    edited April 2017 30 karma

@"theLSATdreamer " good luck with the test man!

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@"Heart Shaped Box" said:
    @"Dillon A. Wright" Dang, you sure you don't wanna take the test man? You've just dispensed the ability to spot the unwarranted assumptions/flaws all over the place and did an excellent weakening question on this, probably a 5 star difficulty one.

Hahaha you're too kind.

1287 karma

@unoriginal2017 @nima250 @"Chipster Study" Thank you guys, honestly I really am happy i got the accommodation I am going to make good use of it and give it my all !

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"theLSATdreamer " like @unoriginal2017 said, please don't apologize. This is well deserved and kudos to you for acknowledging your difficulties and overcoming them. I am happy you got this accommodation and that you are well on your way to your dream school.

@flashyyyy if you believe you have the same disadvantage, you should try applying for an accommodation as well. We will not be concerned about you 'taking our seat' at a law school. ;-) If it helps you to get a better score go for it!

• lsatgurl101lsatgurl101 Free Trial Member
    6 karma

Congrats @"theLSATdreamer " ! I'm applying for accommodations as well. Question: Did you submit just your doctor's statement or did you also include your own "statement of need"?