Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice I Got from J.Y.

akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
edited September 2017 in Reading Comprehension 9372 karma

7Sage had Office Hours in my city, and I had the privilege to meet and talk to J.Y. in person! (perks of being one of the few 7Sagers in the city! :) )

I would like to share some of the advice I got from J.Y. about Reading Comprehension that might be helpful to some of you.

• Read for the structure

I'm sure 7Sagers already know this, and J.Y. stresses this point in videos too, but for RC, always you should read for the structure. J.Y. advised me that I should practice the following:
1) Have a low-resolution summary of each paragraph first and then think of a high-resolution summary second.
2) Find a connection between the paragraphs.
3) Predict what the author is going to say next.

Somehow it's harder to remember the structure and the main point when you first try to remember little details in the passage.

e.g.) Low resolution summary of S19 Passage 3 P1: Phenomenon; P2: Hypothesis 1 & the author's counter-argument; P3: Hypothesis 2 & the author's counter-argument; P4: Hypothesis 3 & the author's counter-argument; P5: Hypothesis 4 & the author thinks this is most promising; P6: Mechanism of Hypothesis 4
  • Dual Passages (A B Passage)

For dual passages in RC, J.Y. told me that we actually should read Passage A and answer the questions first and then read Passage B. There are questions which you can answer by just reading Passage A. Also, you can eliminate answer choices after reading Passage A, and after reading Passage B, you can choose among a few answer choices.

• YouTubing

When I told him that I sometimes freeze when I see scientific passages, J.Y. suggested that I should go YouTubing about an unfamiliar scientific topic in RC for just 30 minutes after every PT. I watched some clips about "latitudinal gradient" on YouTube for 30 minutes, and it was fun and educational!

I'm a low scorer (especially bad at RC) so I don't know if these pieces of advice apply to you, but I wanted to share these with you because I'm grateful for the opportunity of having met him :)

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@akistotle that is awesome! You met the legend and he provided you sound advice! I'm jelly! :wink:

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Thank you for the advice!

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@akistotle JY has office hours in the city? Where/when/how often??

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

Thanks for sharing the details!! <3

• thinkorswimthinkorswim Alum Member
    433 karma

Praise the Lord JY !!!

• MapleSarahpMapleSarahp Member
    125 karma

Thanks for sharing this! :smiley:

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Where does the OFFICE HOUR happen???

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@tanes256 said:
    I'm jelly! :wink:

Super jelly! Thanks for sharing!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@bswise2 said:
    @akistotle JY has office hours in the city? Where/when/how often??

He emailed everyone in the area. I think it was like a very rare sighting....

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@tanes256 said:
    I'm jelly! :wink:

Super jelly! Thanks for sharing!

He recommended that I join your webinar no matter what! (He spoke very highly of you :smiley: )

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited April 2017 5120 karma

@akistotle So Awesome you got to meet him in person!

I was the only one on JY's PT80 RC BR call & we talked about the same concepts. Would love to talk to you about the "comparative passage" strategy that we have been doing on the side with the June Study Group!

Initial thoughts that it takes practice to "re-phrase" the questions correctly, be very flexible about not eliminating answer choices too quick, take advantage of hunt mode when reading passage B and to learn when the comparative passage is not conducive to this strategy. Feedback from the people that I have "work-shopped" this concept with has been incredibly positive:)

Look forward to hearing more about your experience implementing the strategies:)

9372 karma

@twssmith said:
    Initial thoughts that it takes practice to "re-phrase" the questions correctly, be very flexible about not eliminating answer choices too quick, take advantage of hunt mode when reading passage B and to learn when the comparative passage is not conducive to this concept. Feedback from the people that I have "work shopped" this concept with has been incredibly positive:)

Yes! It takes practice. J.Y. told me to be careful because at first I didn't rephrase the questions correctly or tried to eliminate answer choices too quick.

I'm thinking of doing comparative passages (A B passages) in the PTs I've already done for the second time with this method to get used to this!

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@akistotle said:
    Yes! It takes practice. J.Y. told me to be careful because at first I didn't rephrase the questions correctly or tried to eliminate answer choices too quick.

Yes! I had the same experience!!!

Can only hope during the workshops that I conveyed the same caveats when using this strategy:)

I'm thinking of doing comparative passages (A B passages) in the PTs I've already done for the second time with this method to get used to this!>

When trying a new strategy, always use previous takes for practice:)
    It is exciting - I agree and look forward to more info on your progress!

• nnezeakwiwu21nnezeakwiwu21 Alum Member
    176 karma

@tanes256 said:
    @akistotle that is awesome! You met the legend and he provided you sound advice! I'm jelly! :wink:

I am jelly too!!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Thanks for this!

Question though.. J.Y. Said to always read passage A first? What if you scan the questions and there's questions pertaining to passage B only and not A, would you still say you should do A first at all times?

edited May 2017 9372 karma

@TheMikey said:
    Thanks for this!

Question though.. J.Y. Said to always read passage A first? What if you scan the questions and there's questions pertaining to passage B only and not A, would you still say you should do A first at all times?

If that works better for you, I guess that's fine. With the strategy J.Y. told me, you first read Passage A and should skip those questions asking only about Passage B.

For example....

PT65.S3.Q17
    Which one of the following is a statement that is true of ____ under Canadian common law, according to passage A, but that would not have been true ____ in the Roman law, according to passage B?

After reading Passage A, you read this question as

Which one of the following is a statement that is true of ____ under Canadian common law, according to passage A?

and get rid of answer choices that is not true of ____ under Canadian and U.S. common law, according to passage A.

Hope this helps!

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited April 2017 5120 karma

^^^^^
    Perfect example of the strategy from my experience with JY:)

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

thanks! really appreciate it!

• awyeah26awyeah26 Alum Member
    75 karma

Thanks for the great summary! Jealous you live in NYC and can kick it with JY. Seems like a really cool dude.