Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am terrible at LR...

KK Free Trial Member
edited July 2013 in General 345 karma
I just took PT 50 after going through the syllabus and I did TERRIBLY on the LR. I just blanked out while taking the test because some of the LR questions were SOOO much harder than the questions I drilled using Cambridge packets.

I got 1 wrong on RC (ran out of time on the last question... but I got it right during blind review! still I did run out of time...), 14 wrong on LR (S***!!!! Even after blind review I had 8 wrong :/), and 2 wrong on LG (missed an inference... thankfully got it during blind review).

I couldn't even understand some of the LR stimuli and wanted to cry lol.

How do you suggest I go about getting better at LR? My plan was to do PT's every 3-4 days in August and September starting from #50 and hope to hit 175+ but after this I feel like an idiot. I followed JY's methodology (I think 7sage is the best course I've taken to prepare for LSAT) but there is something wrong with my comprehension level that I am still struggling. How can I improve? Please I have just two months to set LR straight.

I scored a 16x something on the 2007 june PT.

tl;dr My comprehension level is lacking when it comes to LR questions and I am unable to understand some of the stimuli. I know I can do the questions because 7sage's methods have been VERY helpful but I was unable to answer some of the LR's on the PT in time even though I did reasonably well when going thru cambridge drill packets answering each question in less than 1.5 min.

Comments

• paulfan2011paulfan2011 Free Trial Member
    125 karma
    What do you mean by you don't understand the stimuli? Is it the English grammer or the logical structure? Do you understand it after you watch the explanation?
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    Hi,

I have the basic package so I don't have explanations for PT50. I bought a bundle of tests from Cambridge lsat so i have pdf of all tests.

Some questions were just too difficult to understand. I couldn't even map them out like A-->B, etc.
    125 karma
    would you give me the question number of the ones that you missed and the wrong answer choices you picked. I make no promises, but I'll try to see what I can do to help you.
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    sure.

these are from section 2 (the first LR section of the test)
    #7,10,12

I got those wrong even after blind review :/
  • daltonturnerdaltonturner Free Trial Member
    11 karma
    K.M.:

Stay positive, keep working hard and stick with BR. I was in almost the same situation as you a couple weeks ago and stuck to JY's method and am now seeing drastic improvements in my LR categories. Sometimes it takes a while under timed pressure to really utilize what you've learned throughout the course. You can do it!
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    Is it true that the LR got MUCH harder with the later tests while RC/LG stayed consistent?
  • Username 7865Username 7865 Free Trial Member
    24 karma
    My understanding regarding the difficulty of the tests is that from the older tests to the newer ones RC got harder, LG became more structured in terms of game types, and LR has less conditional logic.
    125 karma
    I just finished preptest 50. I can see why you are having trouble with LR. The test does feature some unusual questions. Interestingly, the 3 questions you mentioned are not among the unusual questions. Two of the questions has to do with assumptions and the other flaw description. I suggest you review the lessons on sufficient and necessary assumptions. The reasoning in these three questions are actually quite straightforward; I suspect that you might have some flawed approaches to these type of questions that you need to shatter. I can explain further why each question is right, but I think it would be best if you tell me your reasoning for picking the incorrect answer choices first.

Ironically, you did really well on RC where I had a lot of trouble. (I missed 5 on RC and 2 on LR)
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    Thanks Paulfan2011. When I get home today I will find my notes for PT50 (with my BR stuff in it) and tell you my reasoning.

I am having tremendous difficulty with necessary assumption questions and I am going over the NA section trying to get it down.

125 karma
    Did you not get JY's basketball analogy? That was so brilliant.
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    It was and I need to revisit it and make sure I 100% understand everything he said.
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    Hmm paul I went over the questions after listening to the "how to" sections of S/N assumptions and I have to say I feel like an idiot for getting #7 wrong...

As for the other ones, I feel like I just got stressed out and didn't pay attention to the stimulus. I took the test at the library and while I blame my failure to focus on myself, I do think the new environment had something to do with it as well.

I'm going to "retake" the two LR sections from PT50 today and blind review once again.

I really think that if I had focused more on the test I would not have done as poorly. I'll let you know how I do tonight.
    125 karma
    Ok. Sounds like you are regaining your confidence. What probably happened is that you are thrown off by some questions and lost your calm and focus afterwards. I know this is what happened to me on the June 2013 test. LG totally killed me. I believe confidence is a necessary condition for doing well on the LSAT.

Anyway, let me know how it goes, and tell me how you managed to get a -2 on this RC.
  • KK Free Trial Member
    edited July 2013 345 karma
    Ok i went through the LR...

After blind review I had to revise some answers... even then I still got 7 wrong. I still got #22 from S2 wrong.. but after looking online for an explanation I know why I was wrong. I need to practice a lot of LR lol... i need a 99th percentile score on this test :D

As for RC I wasn't able to finish the last question. In BR I saw that the passage was just a jungle of words but the questions were not terribly hard. For example, one of the questions asked to define the basin concept and the answer was in the passage itself. I took way longer to read the passage though and didn't get to finish answering the last question.

I thought the RC on this test was kind of interesting so maybe that's why I did well haha. I like reading magazines a lot as well as going on wikipedia when I'm bored. My dad and I have conversations about things we read in magazines or on the web and ever since he got a smartphone a few years ago he always looks up things I say to make sure I'm not lying xP
    125 karma
    So you are aiming 175 and above. Glad to hear that someone is as ambitious as I am.

Out of curiosity, what was your average LR score before this test?
  • KK Free Trial Member
    edited August 2013 345 karma
    I should mention that last year I made the horrible, uninformed (yes I was a moron) decision of taking this test after a month of prep (during school... yeah...) and scored a 147. I basically shot myself in the foot.

I scored a 162 on the diagnostic about 1-1.5 months ago. I think I had a lot more trouble with the LR on that too.

Made a lot of mistakes in my past but this is my last chance to do something good. Hoping to study my butt off by October. I still need to figure out a clever way to write a statement about why I was an idiot ._.

125 karma
    Funny thing. I did the same thing 2 months ago and scored 158. Guess you are not the only idiot.
  • KK Free Trial Member
    edited August 2013 345 karma
    I read on TLS that many schools average LSAT scores... I'm so screwed in that case haha

You did a lot better than me because 158 is higher than the average isn't it? I did below average lol. Can't even look at myself in the mirror without frowning :D

Dinner break over :(

Time to head back to studying for a couple more hours!