Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progress!

Zachary_PZachary_P Member
edited May 2017 in General 659 karma

I just hit 170 for the first time on a PT and wanted to give a quick little word of motivation for everyone who is going to take the June test. You can do this thing! I didn't think 170 was possible, but if you stick to the BR method, keep up to date on the forum, and occasionally study on a Friday night (me right now...) it is possible! So pumped right now. Thanks to all the sages and mentors for your awesome advice via the forum. 37 days until game day!

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    edited May 2017 3679 karma

Yay! That's awesome! Thanks for the encouragement (shoutout to Friday nighters!)

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Yay! That's awesome! Thanks for the encouragement (shoutout to Friday nighters!)

Haha team Friday night checking in! Congratulations :)

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@Zachary_P said:
    I just hit 170 for the first time on a PT and wanted to give a quick little word of motivation for everyone who is going to take the June test. You can do this thing! I didn't think 170 was possible, but if you stick to the BR method, keep up to date on the forum, and occasionally study on a Friday night (me right now...) it is possible! So pumped right now. Thanks to all the sages and mentors for your awesome advice via the forum. 37 days until game day!

Congratulations! : ) Good luck in June.

• calftempcalftemp Free Trial Member
    121 karma

Congrats Zach - so encouraging for the rest of us to hear! Woohoo Friday-nighters, let's go crazy with the lsat! haha :)

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Congratulations! So encouraging :)

• PomegranatePomegranate Alum Member
    577 karma

Thanks for the encouragement :smile: Good luck in June!

• jimmyrivera201-1jimmyrivera201-1 Core Member
    547 karma

Congratulations!

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

Thanks for the support! Friday nighters for the win @tringo335 @Sprinkles @calftemp

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Congrats!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hitting 170! Whata feeling :)

Congrats and good luck in June!

• cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
    190 karma

Congrats! Do you mind if I ask what your diagnostic was and how long it's taken you to hit 170?

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Great job!!

659 karma

@cm214998 My diagnostic was a 158 on January 1st. I've studied 20-30 hours a week for the past 5 months or so. I'm a full time college student, so some weeks I was able to give more time than others based on my academic studies. My first few PT's post-curriculum were right about what I scored back in January, and I was a bit frustrated by that. But then I found out what all of the sages preach: that real improvement comes from blind review. I went back to the core often and drilled question types with which I struggled (analytics is awesome for this). I drilled "flaw" questions the most because once I began recognize flaws in arguments, many of the other question types became easier. For RC, I just drilled enough passages to create my own strategy based on a lot of the webinars and the memory method. For LG, I'm continuing to fool proof all the games, and I find that the more I do, the easier they get.

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited May 2017 2301 karma

Great job and awesome insight!

I am always amazed by people who balance full-time school/work with the LSAT. Keep up the hard work and BRing. You are going to kill it in June!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

That's very impressive. Nicely done!

• jeffsimo28jeffsimo28 Alum Member
    16 karma

Great job and amazing work! I'd love to hear more about how you improved your LR scores. You mentioned drilling flaw questions and other types you had trouble with. Do you have suggestions on timing? I've been struggling giving uneven amounts of time to different questions, some too much and others not enough.

• cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
    190 karma

@Zachary_P That's awesome!! Thanks for the insight. I'm also a full time undergrad student but, unlike you, I've struggled balancing prep and school which has thoroughly prolonged my LSAT situation lol. Best of luck!

659 karma

Hi @jeffsimo28 a good skipping strategy can do wonders for your LR score. @"Cant Get Right" gives solid explanation of a game theory approach that I've tried to use and it can be found here:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/69853

It may seem strange at first, but you have to grow to be comfortable spending 30 seconds on a stimulus, recognizing that it is a "curve breaker" or that you simply don't understand it well enough to attack the AC's, and move on. The idea is to still at least attempt every question in the section, but if you have to skip questions entirely, it would be much better to skip the ones that you have a higher chance of missing anyway.

That being said, a skipping strategy only works if you have a solid grasp of the fundamentals of logic and can score in your target range when you blind review. What you are essentially doing by skipping is buying extra time for questions that you would get right in the BR process but might miss in a timed exam due to time constraints. By giving yourself even 20-30 extra seconds, you increase the chance that you'll get these questions right the first time around.

Hope this helps!

• pomegranatespomegranates Alum Member
    edited May 2017 139 karma

Thanks for sharing this! Fantastic job & best of luck in continuing.
    My encouragement for this coming week.

• jeffsimo28jeffsimo28 Alum Member
    16 karma

Wow, interesting. I think I'm spending way too much time on the stimulus. Thank you for the suggestion!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

@Zachary_P said:
    Hi @jeffsimo28 a good skipping strategy can do wonders for your LR score. @"Cant Get Right" gives solid explanation of a game theory approach that I've tried to use and it can be found here:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/69853

It may seem strange at first, but you have to grow to be comfortable spending 30 seconds on a stimulus, recognizing that it is a "curve breaker" or that you simply don't understand it well enough to attack the AC's, and move on. The idea is to still at least attempt every question in the section, but if you have to skip questions entirely, it would be much better to skip the ones that you have a higher chance of missing anyway.

That being said, a skipping strategy only works if you have a solid grasp of the fundamentals of logic and can score in your target range when you blind review. What you are essentially doing by skipping is buying extra time for questions that you would get right in the BR process but might miss in a timed exam due to time constraints. By giving yourself even 20-30 extra seconds, you increase the chance that you'll get these questions right the first time around.

Hope this helps!

Amen.