Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get over the mid 160s hump?

amj521001amj521001 Member
edited November 2014 in General 45 karma
My last few tests have all been in the mid 160s and my weakest section is by FAR the logic games. I've printed out every LG in the syllabus and drilled them until I get get the 100% correct under timed conditions, but somehow it isn't translating to timed tests. I either 1) freeze 2) fail to push out all of the inferences so I consistently miss a question or two per game or 3) am flabbergasted by the random misc game that seems to be appearing on each test and therefore get it all wrong. Does anyone have suggestions for taking my LG performance from a 70% to closer to 90% by the December test? Is it even possible in that short of a time period? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

• Harry_PluxenHarry_Pluxen Alum Member
    42 karma
    Try playing solitaire on a touch screen phone. That helped me during my free time on the bus/subway to get the speed down. Similar techniques behind both.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @amj521001 try another method for LG. I use other sources with 7Sage for LR. I'm thinking about using another source for LG too. I'm thinking about Odyssey. I can't recommend them because I haven't yet used them, but other students stated they were not confused merging the two methods. Sometimes it just doesn't click and you need to see it a different way. Do you think you're getting those games correct because you've completed them so many times? Maybe you're memorizing the answers and inferences. That's great because I think the games are the same they're just worded differently, but if you're not getting other games correct you're probably missing something.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I used to use Odyssey and I found them to be great videos, I only use 7sage bc I have the membership now so its just more convenient to stay in one place and now im more used to JY's videos but Odyssey lays out their methods pretty nicely
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    From my personal experience I find that approaching LG's in such a mechanical way can hinder performance in some ways. For example, you say your redoing the games until you get perfect under timed conditions. There are two issues with this, if your not giving yourself enough time in between repeats, your essentially just memorizing and not really learning the nature of "pushing out inferences". Second issue is that just hammering out games definitely helps, but it ends up getting you in the mindset that there is a one size fits all approach to games. Don't over complicate it and don't freeze because you see something and say WTF, take a step back and analyze and figure out what it is there really asking of you. This shows a TRUE understanding, which is what you need. Half the time the "harder" games are really just easy games tossed at you in a different way. But if you have a true understanding then it wont matter what way they throw a rule at you, you just get it. I don't know how to explain this that well, but I hope it helps.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Another key with logic games is knowing when and to the extent to which you diagram. Something that saved me wonders on time is looking ahead at the questions. If I see that most of the questions are "If x, then y," then I know that it's not as important for me to make all the inferences up front (though that would be the ideal). When I see a lot of "If x, then y" statements and very few rules, I know that after making my initial set up, I should move straight to the questions.
  • burstei6burstei6 Alum Member
    138 karma
    I completely agree with jlee0615 in that people tend to often over estimate the amount of inferences they can/should be making up front. LG is similar to RC in that simply internalizing the information given (rules/details) can be your lifeline to succeeding. I am pretty consistent at getting zero wrong on LG and what I've noticed is that, I used to focus too much on diagramming up front when I should have just jumped into questions without wasting time pondering hypotheticals that I most likely will not use.

A good drill, at least in my opinion, is trying to do some games (simple and difficult) with little to no diagramming up front. If you can see the big picture, internalize the rules, and understand what the questions are asking of you, the miscellaneous games can be treated exactly the same way, since diagramming these up front is often the most difficult part (like circular games or ones that are difficult to conceptualize). If you get comfortable with answering LG questions without a lot of diagramming, you won't freeze up or panic when you get to a miscellaneous game that doesn't allow you to clearly create a main diagram.

The more and more you simply "rule drive" logic games, without depending on creating a complex diagram, the more you will understand what rules are important in specific games and why (for example, rules that have bearing on the most number of elements are usually ones that you should focus on).
  • danielledanielle Free Trial Member
    43 karma
    To the whole "freezing" issue:
    Don't worry. Just skip it.

If there's a game, and it either looks difficult, or you can't recognize the category, or its a miscellaneous game, go do the other ones. Start with the easy games in a section to push your confidence up and get you in a "games" mindset.
    You'll be able to think your way through the other ones while your subconscious percolates on that other game, and perhaps the other games will job your memory.
    Don't be scared to do the games in order of your strengths.
    Just remember to bubble it all in correctly.