Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you get excited for LG?

TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
edited May 2017 in Logic Games 1008 karma

What are some of your strategies to get excited for this section?
I enjoy the process of studying for LR and RC, but not LG.
I think I naturally enjoy anything that has to do with literary comprehension, but LG reminds me too much of algebra and math, which I've hated all throughout my life.. haha

I also think a part of it is my pride: I've excelled in humanities but not really in math, relatively speaking. So I would work extra hard, if need be, to maintain my self identity that I am good at critical reading. With LG, I have no such existential motivation.

any way to change this preconceived notion?

When I open up the page to fool-proof for LG, I think ... "Uh....it's that time again..."

Any tips?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheoryandPractice said:
    What are some of your strategies to get excited for this section?
    I enjoy the process of studying for LR and RC, but not LG.
    I think I naturally enjoy anything that has to do with literary comprehension, but LG reminds me too much of algebra and math, which I've hated all throughout my life.. haha

any way to change this preconceived notion?

When I open up the page to fool-proof for LG, I think ... "Uh....it's that time again..."

Any tips?

Haha, I'm laughing because I feel the same exact way. I really prefer LR/RC to games...

The only thing I have found is that the more I do them the more comfortable I feel and consequently, I am able to sort of have a bit of fun with them. I guess I try to approach them like a "game."

I'm actually really interested in what others have to say and what tips they might have!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Honestly I get excited about them because I view them as games. Okay, that doesn't help much on its own. The thing that really gets me into logic games is that I have this desire to "crack the code". Each game presented to me is like a new puzzle that I am determined to figure out. I have a feeling of euphoria as soon as I go "Aha! the game revolves around XY&Z". This is why this section is my favorite. Even if it is a hard game, I still am driven to get that feeling so I push through. That's how I go about it.

For the record....I also detest math!

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

Be offensive, rather than defensive. The latter is exhausting, anxiety-inducing, and debilitating. The latter provides a sense of self-autonomy and fluidity.

For LG specifically, splitting and building inferences up front allows one to better approach the questions offensively as opposed to defensively (i.e. brute force-POE).

If you're held up, skip to the next question. If you see at CBT, skip to an MBT. The latter builds templates that could help you eliminate ACs for CBTs. They are also often more inference-driven.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Not sure I am adding much here, but I completely agree with the above comments.

I don't treat it like a math problem. I treat it like a game. Games are fun.

Especially as you get further into the fool proofing process and your proficiency increases, it gets kinda fun to use the the inferences as codes that crack open a game. I would just try as hard as possible to fake the "fun game" aspect until you associate it with real fun.

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

For the record....I also detest math!

Same. So there's hope!

• WalliumsWalliums Member
    373 karma

Do you like doing puzzles? LG are just puzzles. That's why I enjoy them so much. I also detest math.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited May 2017 10774 karma

I kid you not, I started liking LG after I started doing a game or two everyday with my morning coffee.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/128574499/large.gif

https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/04/22/635968918239089462-1018494556_tumblr_inline_mhtcylttDI1qz4rgp.gif

And then I fell in love with it <3

https://media.giphy.com/media/4FHX9eivPqnni/200.gif

For me it was never about a strategy. It was just helpful to have a pleasant experience with LG and it helped changed my mentality about how I perceive it now.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

LG is the only section I actually enjoy. I love figuring stuff out so it's right up my alley. I'm not sure how to get you motivated to do them though. I normally start out my studies with a game or two to get me in the mood to tackle the other two sections. Think of LG as puzzles. Do you like puzzles? If not, I guess that doesn't really help much either, huh? You have to some way think of LG just as you would RC, like you actually enjoy it.