Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I take the lsat in June?

TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 1008 karma

I registered for the June exam long time ago and was planning on postponing till September, but it seems like I'd be 90% ready by June. I'm scoring about 3 points below my target score. I know that ideally speaking, I should be pt-ing 3 scores above my target score to be "ready." Realistically speaking,
I don't think I will arrive there by June, because the last bit of the improvement usually takes the longest. ( like being on a diet; it is always the last 5 pounds that's the hardest to shed...and takes equally much time as shedding 20 pounds in the beginning... Lol)

But I am kinda worried about the Sept exam because I have a chronic insomnia and I feel nervous taking the morning exam. I know for a fact that I won't fall asleep. No amount of exercise, sleeping cycle correction will help me. I just know that much about myself. Nyquil is out of option, because I feel dizzy and foggy the day after.

Should I take the June exam just in case, since it is in the afternoon and I'd likely to have slept better? And maybe taking it in June will give me some perspective/insight for Sept?

Comments

• shanedridershanedrider Alum Member
    156 karma

If you're planning to apply for the 2018 cycle, there's no harm in taking the June test. If you feel as if you're almost there, the worst that can happen is that you take the LSAT and cancel the score and just get a feel for how the actual test environment goes. You would still have the opportunity, as you haven't stated otherwise, to take the test again in September and even one more should that one go awry.

I say do it!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Take your time with your decision. I think it's worth it to wait until 10th to ask the same question. But I do think you should feel ready to take it when you decide to do it. Also, if you feel like it wouldn't be possible to train your body for the morning, it may also be worth it to take. Either way, don't take it if you aren't confident.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I would actually recommend against taking the test, even if you're 90% ready. Although many schools might not average test scores anymore, the adcoms still consider those scores, and you still end up using a take.

Then again, that's just my perspective.

I feel you on having insomnia... But don't just give into learned helplessness that nothing will work. See a doctor, try medication, try other things. I found a medication that doesn't leave me feeling groggy in the AM. My significant other had horrible insomnia as well but a change in her diet ended up helping.

Whatever you decide, good luck!