Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Time Minimums??

cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
in General 190 karma

Hi everyone! I had a general question about overall studying time. I often see many people on here talk about spending 4,5, 6 or even 7 or 8 hours a day on LSAT prep which is pretty insane.

I feel like I have undiagnosed, high functioning ADHD, or something like that, because I can't study for more than an hour and a half or 2 hours at a time. 3 hours at a time is usually the most I can go, as long I've gotten a good nights sleep and whether I'm well hydrated. I study everyday (Mon. through Sunday) so I don't feel like I'm falling behind.

Also, I don't usually break up my study time as most people do because I study in the morning since I'm the sharpest and can concentrate for long periods for most of the 2 or 3 hours I'm studying. Often times, in the afternoon I feel sluggish, tired or unfocused to try and study again, because I'm usually burnt out for the morning session lol. I've thought about exercising mid day to see if that helps as all.

Is it bad that I can't study for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time a day? What are some study tips that have worked for you guys? Any recommendations to increase focus or longer study times? Thanks!

Comments

• gioaragon95gioaragon95 Alum Member
    174 karma

I average about 5 or more hours a day. At most 7 a day after that i do feel mentally tired and fuzzy and usually do an hour or two less the next day. I use an app to keep track of my time and it graphs me how much time I have done for the week, month, and year. I usually do 1 hour increments and I usually have a quick break maybe watch a 15 min vid on youtube after the 3 hour then go back at it.

Think about it as working out but with your mind. I did not start off at 6 or 7 hours a day. I worked myself up to that point. Why? causes as you said your body and mind is not mentally used to this focus or concentration for such a long period of time. But you have to develop habits and be disciplined but that also takes patience and again you have to work yourself up to an amount of time that you feel beneficial for you.

It's not about quantity but quality.
    But if you both posses quantity and quality together then of course it can only help.

App: BeFocused (Study timer)
    App: myHomework (Study planer)

Both of these I use to stay organized and they are both free.

• kH573201kH573201 Alum Member
    115 karma

Hi!
    I totally feel your pain. I wake up in the mornings with all types of determination for studying a full 4 hours a day. But I find myself surfing the internet, watching one 2 minute video and taking a 15 minute break, or texting. It's even worse when the section is something complicated. You have to have another level of determination to study for the LSAT. We're in this together! The best advice I can give you (which I'm trying to follow myself) is just do what you can without burning out or getting frustrated. Stop when you feel yourself getting upset or frustrated.

My motto has been: You are allowed to cry. You are allowed to yell and scream. You are not allowed to give up.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Don't compare your studying to anyone else's. You know what works for you, so stick to it. Even if that means it'll take you a longer amount of time than someone who might study for longer than you every day, don't rush yourself.

Stay consistent and schedule the test when you're PTing a few points above your goal and don't compare your studies to someone else's, because you're both entirely different people :smile:

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I just want to through out there that it really doesn't matter how long you study. What matters is that you give yourself the time that you need in order to understand, as in depth as possible, key concepts. It is just as important that your study time is sustainable. Studying for 7 hours a day may work for some but it also may not work for others.

Personally, I like to get about 3 hours a day during the week and about 4 or 5 on the weekend. Obviously too, this should change at different points of your study. You should ramp up during PT phase, and cool it at drilling phases.

This is just my two cents though. Hope this helps!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I love this question because I too have wondered if I am studying enough. I work full time and can only dedicate 3 hours a day M-F on my studies. I have to completely agree with @JustDoIt that there isn't necessarily a minimum you have to reach as long as you set an amount and stay consistent. If you can only do two hours a day just be comfortable with the fact that it will take longer for you to master the test than someone who is studying 7 hours a day. On another note, don't feel like something is wrong with you because you get tired after an hour of studying. I have studied the LSAT Trainer before 7Sage and Mike Kim routinely suggests not studying for more than 1.5 hours at a time. So feel free to take breaks in between until you've trained your brain to go longer.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cm214998 said:

Is it bad that I can't study for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time a day? What are some study tips that have worked for you guys? Any recommendations to increase focus or longer study times? Thanks!

No such thing as study minimums. Gotta just focus on doing what works for you. There is some solid research that indicates taking breaks frequently is good. So if you can study for 2/3 hours at a time, that sounds like you're pretty focused to me. I don't know of anyone who studies anything 6-8 hours a day without a break. Heck, I take a 5 minute break every hour.

I'm pretty good at just putting my head down and grinding. So I don't have any good tips for studying. However, what does help me stay focused is making sure I'm not distracted. I put my phone on my bed, away from my desk, and make sure it is on silent. (Airplane mode works too) Also, if you find yourself going on social media, just deactivate your accounts until you're finished with the LSAT.

In any case, I think breaking up your study time into sessions of an hour or two is best.

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    315 karma

1 tip I have is physically going somewhere to study. When I'm at home, I don't get in the right headspace and get distracted easily. Go to somewhere you like studying and spend X amount of time there and then call it a day, and be consistent about it. This allows you to get into a rhythm. Hope this helps!