Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[ENDED] Free RC Tutoring, A-B Passage; PT 65 Passage 3

SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
edited May 2017 in Reading Comprehension 10774 karma

Hi Everyone,

Last session was great. Thanks to everyone who showed up. We made RC fun!. : )

So last time we focused on low resolution-high resolution summary and how to read and comprehend RC passages effectively. This time, in addition to practicing this method, we are going to do one A-B passage. There is a different way to do such passages which makes these kinds of passages a piece of cake and I think it would be helpful to show and practice this method.

Since A-B passages don't start till later PT's, we would be practicing on one of the recent tests, PT 65. But I think even if some of you havn't done any of the recent PT's, it would be helpful to use one of them to understand how to do these kind of passages. There are 86 PT's to practice, using one for learning LSAT will be a good call.

If any one of you does not want to Burn PT 65, you are welcome to take it on your own. But lets Blind Review Passage 3 together.
If you do not have time to take it, that's fine as well. We will go over the passage together.

Let me know what you guys think.

P.S. Does this time work better for some of you who couldn't make it last time?

To join the meeting, just follow the link below at the meeting time. I'll see you all there <3.

Sami's RC Tutoring- AB Passage
Sun, May 14, 2017 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM EDT

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/764143181

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (224) 501-3412

Access Code: 764-143-181

First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: https://care.citrixonline.com/g2m/getready

A-B Passages
  1. How do you feel about doing an A-B Passage this upcoming session?19 votes
    1. I would like to do one A-B passage.
      73.68%
    2. I just want to do the regular RC passages. : )
        5.26%
    3. I hate RC and I don't want to do any passages! ;) But I guess I have no choice!
      21.05%

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited May 2017 4196 karma

So in for this again! Last session was great!

Also, which PT would it be from?

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Just a thought - since we would have to use a recent PT, if you posted it ahead of time, people could still take the test before sunday and BR it as normal. That way it isn't entirely burned

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited May 2017 10774 karma

@TheMikey said:
    So in for this again! Last session was great!

Also, which PT would it be from?

Thanks! Its going to be PT 65, passage 3.

@Mellow_Z said:
    Just a thought - since we would have to use a recent PT, if you posted it ahead of time, people could still take the test before sunday and BR it as normal. That way it isn't entirely burned

Great idea @Mellow_Z. : ). I went ahead and posted the information.

• annewr253annewr253 Alum Member
    439 karma

Totally in!

4196 karma

Alrighty cool! May do PT65 tomorrow for this, haha!

Due to the arrangement of my apartment, I can never really be in a quiet place at night time when using the internet. But hopefully I can verbally participate this time, I will see! :) @Sami

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I'm confused. Is this like a BR group for RC that focuses on single passages and then reviews them as a group?

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1997 karma

edited May 2017 10774 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    I'm confused. Is this like a BR group for RC that focuses on single passages and then reviews them as a group?

@Mellow_Z said:

@JustDoIt said:

I think she's just reviewing strategy(ies) to be more effective at RC.

Although we will be reviewing strategy for 10 minutes, the purpose is to practice doing passages together the right way. So more like a Blind Review group. Except this is something that I am doing for my own benefit and I am at most going to do only one additional session.

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

Awesome! Thank you very much for doing this again! I'm in!

• smseraj3smseraj3 Alum Member
    edited May 2017 162 karma

@Sami Thanks! How do I join the session? Also is there any way to get notes from the last session?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I'd like to join!

• stephen63stephen63 Member
    34 karma

@Sami Cool! I'd also like to join. How can we join?

10774 karma

@stephen63 said:
    @Sami Cool! I'd also like to join. How can we join?

@smseraj3 said:
    @Sami Thanks! How do I join the session? Also is there any way to get notes from the last session?

Hey so I went ahead and added the link in the above post. All you have to do is click it at the time of the meeting and it will take you there. <3

@smseraj3 During the meeting I will quickly go over the essentials from last meeting. So don't worry. We will also practice it, so you will catch on.

10774 karma

bumping it up for link purposes.

4196 karma

Can't wait!

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

Sadly, I cannot join at all during that time tonight. However, I'd love to do another RC BR group though any other day!! I can commit to one next week, same bat time and same bat channel, if you're doing one!

Will this one be recorded?

10774 karma

@TheMikey said:
    Can't wait!

Same <3

@"Bevs ScooterMinion" said:
    Sadly, I cannot join at all during that time tonight. However, I'd love to do another RC BR group though any other day!! I can commit to one next week, same bat time and same bat channel, if you're doing one!

Will this one be recorded?

These are just sessions and not webinars so they will not be recorded. I might do one more next week, lets wait and see <3. But I wish you were going to be there <3.

4196 karma

Sorry I couldn't make it, something came up! Was excited for the A-B passage, ugh, sucks but things happen!

10774 karma

@TheMikey said:
    Sorry I couldn't make it, something came up! Was excited for the A-B passage, ugh, sucks but things happen!

aww that's completely fine. : ) It happens : )

We will do another one again this Sunday. Not sure if it would be an A-B passage, but if there is a demand for that, we can do that. : )

1018 karma

I'll be there!

I vote for a hard, convoluted passage about natural science. I'm not good at remembering a lot of scientific data, plus, I must constantly work at not getting bogged down in the details---which slows my reading time down even further. :neutral:

So I'll take all the practice I can get! Thank you for doing these! <3

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I'll be there!

I vote for a hard, convoluted passage about natural science. I'm not good at remembering a lot of scientific data, plus, I must constantly work at not getting bogged down in the details---which slows my reading time down even further. :neutral:

So I'll take all the practice I can get! Thank you for doing these! <3

I hate science passages too! So this would be great :)

1018 karma

I forgot to add: I don't mind doing A-B passages, but I find those easier than the longer, science ones.

Whichever kind of RC passage you want to do, Sami, I'll be there!

4196 karma

@Sami said:

@TheMikey said:

aww that's completely fine. : ) It happens : )

We will do another one again this Sunday. Not sure if it would be an A-B passage, but if there is a demand for that, we can do that. : )

I have 3 finals on Monday, so the likelihood I'll join you guys on Sunday is low since I'll be stressing out haha.

Would you mind maybe sending me the strategies (or the slideshow/powerpoint) you showed everyone yesterday for A-B passages? Would greatly appreciate it! :)

4196 karma

Also, Sami.. I wanted to ask you.. Do you use Nicole's notation strategy for RC? Just curious! :D

10774 karma

I forgot to add: I don't mind doing A-B passages, but I find those easier than the longer, science ones.

Whichever kind of RC passage you want to do, Sami, I'll be there!

@akistotle said:
    I hate science passages too! So this would be great :)

Science passage it is! I'll look for an exceptionally difficult one to do this upcoming weekend.

10774 karma

@TheMikey said:
    Also, Sami.. I wanted to ask you.. Do you use Nicole's notation strategy for RC? Just curious! :D

Haha, I actually do not. I don't think you need a notation strategy that's that extensive. A simple one that's personal would suffice. : )

@TheMikey said:
    Would you mind maybe sending me the strategies (or the slideshow/powerpoint) you showed everyone yesterday for A-B passages? Would greatly appreciate it! :)

I actually did not have a powerpoint slide for this time.
    But in general you first do passage A and instead of going to passage B, you answer all questions that even relate to passage A slightly. The goal is to eliminate as many answer choices as possible.

Then you do Passage B, and its basically like a new passage where you don't have to remember what happened in A. After you are done reading it, you only read the answer choices you couldn't eliminate when you went over the first time with passage A.

It makes more sense when you practice. The benefit of doing it this way is that you don't get confused by the detailed information offered in two passages and you only have to remember one passage at a time. This boosts accuracy.

I hope this helped. I wish you had been there to see how it actually works.

4196 karma

@Sami said:

I actually did not have a powerpoint slide for this time.
    But in general you first do passage A and instead of going to passage B, you answer all questions that even relate to passage A slightly. The goal is to eliminate as many answer choices as possible.

Then you do Passage B, and its basically like a new passage where you don't have to remember what happened in A. After you are done reading it, you only read the answer choices you couldn't eliminate when you went over the first time with passage A.

It makes more sense when you practice. The benefit of doing it this way is that you don't get confused by the detailed information offered in two passages and you only have to remember one passage at a time. This boosts accuracy.

I hope this helped. I wish you had been there to see how it actually works.

Yes it helped! Thanks for that, it makes total sense! :)