Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Additional Administrations coming as well??

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
in General 2573 karma

Was this addressed yesterday? If so, I missed it!

"Starting with the September 2017 LSAT, there will no longer be any limitations on the number of times a test taker can take the LSAT in a two-year period. LSAC has revised this policy as part of its planning for additional administrations of the LSAT. We will provide more information about the LSAT schedule in the coming weeks."

The test is going to be offered more than 4x a year (2nd & 3rd sentences)? That'll be awesome!

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@tanes256 said:
    Was this addressed yesterday? If so, I missed it!

"Starting with the September 2017 LSAT, there will no longer be any limitations on the number of times a test taker can take the LSAT in a two-year period. LSAC has revised this policy as part of its planning for additional administrations of the LSAT. We will provide more information about the LSAT schedule in the coming weeks."

The test is going to be offered more than 4x a year (2nd & 3rd sentences)? That'll be awesome!

I am pretty excited about that myself. Though I wonder the additional times might be strictly digital. If that's the case, I am not sure I would feel like I want to risk it.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@Sami oh wow! I didn't think about that. Why don't they just come on already and tell us and quit with the f*ckery?!!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@tanes256 said:
    Why don't they just come on already and tell us and quit with the f*ckery?!!

Not really their style, lol.

Although, I'm actually optimistic for LSAC. There was a change in leadership recently, and all of a sudden things really started happening. These are seismic shifts that are upending decades of policy, so all things considered, not too shabby.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I'm excited for the future of LSAT test takers! I'm excited that it will be offered more frequently, and if I need a retake I won't have to wait several months.

I just hope the new preptests continue to be released within a reasonable amount of time.

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

I think this all goes back to HLS decision to allow GRE. I know, among most experts and prospective law students, the consensus was that one should not read too much into HLS decision to allow GRE as most law school will still see LSAT with more prestige. But LSAC thinking suggests otherwise. LSAC truly believes their monopoly has been challenged and they need to innovate to stay relevant in the long term. Thus, they are bringing two features that are part and parcel of most major standardized tests in 2017: multiple takes and convenient multiple administrations. You only have to wait for 21 days before you can reschedule GRE for a re-take. Moreover, third feature—digital testing—also coming in some time.

2573 karma

@"Cant Get Right" @"Mo Zubair" @"Alex Divine" oh I love it! I'm not quite sure why or if I should be this excited, but I am! This is good news! I don't know the new 'LSAC Gods" but they get an A+ from me!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I just hope the new preptests continue to be released within a reasonable amount of time.

For this reason alone, it leaves me doubting that they will drastically change their 4/year policy.. if they had the test offered year round (similar to the GRE) then they would either have to create new tests every few weeks to keep up with the demand, or just stop disclosing tests and answers. I don't know how they'd choose to handle it really.. neither option leads to great outcomes (Besides the flexibility of taking the test quicker).

I just don't see them creating as many fresh tests as would be needed to keep up with 12 tests/year...

2573 karma

@Mellow_Z I see what you're saying but I was only thinking they would add like two more tests a year, not anywhere near 12. What would they do about accommodations? I hear that it already takes forever and sometimes you don't hear a response until 2 weeks prior to the test. They'd have to be working double time on approvals and denials and also reassigning test locations, if necessary. Def not thinking 12. I don't think they'll have the time to create new tests if they have that many either. They would have to keep sending out the same thing with maybe 1 or 2 quirks every few tests to throw us off. If there were that many tests I don't think we'd be able to see the differences in the tests as we do now with the earlier tests and the 70s and 80s. Maybe, maybe not. If they are administered back to back and we're not able to get our hands on the test prior I don't think missing out on that last one will hurt. Who knows?? Hopefully they'll put at least one between Feb and June. That's a huge gap.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yeah, Idk, but they need to compete with the GRE and with new leadership at the LSAC, I could see a test every 2 months. I think once it goes fully digital we will see it offered on the same scale as the GRE.

I think for now they'll do something like @tanes256 is implying. Something like, say, Feb, April, June, August, Oct, December.... I think that would be more accommodating.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

For this reason alone, it leaves me doubting that they will drastically change their 4/year policy.. if they had the test offered year round (similar to the GRE) then they would either have to create new tests every few weeks to keep up with the demand, or just stop disclosing tests and answers. I don't know how they'd choose to handle it really.. neither option leads to great outcomes (Besides the flexibility of taking the test quicker).

I just don't see them creating as many fresh tests as would be needed to keep up with 12 tests/year...

Yeah, it would suck if they stopped disclosing the tests regularly. The GRE has changed so minimally over time when compared to the LSAT. However, it seems one way or another they're going to have to add some more tests if they don't want the GRE to steal from their profits. It's sad it took the GRE to threaten them for the LSAC to make some long overdue changes.

Then again, like you're saying @Mellow_Z it can turn out to be a no-win situation if they stop releasing the tests. I guess we can hope that the tests sort of stay more or less the same as far as what to expect.