Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can schools require you to withdraw from waitlists?

lsatlyfelsatlyfe Free Trial Member
in General 19 karma

My accepted school gave me a scholarship and told me to withdraw from my current waitlists. Is that allowed? I know they can make you withdraw from schools you've been accepted to but what about waitlists?

A second related question - if I do have to withdraw to accept the scholarship, do you recommend that I email my waitlist school and tell them about the situation and that if they accept me now, I will definitely commit? Help!!

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@lsatlyfe I have no input here but this is pretty gangsta! I had no clue this was even a thing. I say get those coins though if you can!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2017 1917 karma

As explained by the Dean of Admissions of Yale, "law schools may not require applicants to withdraw from schools from which they have not yet received a decision as a condition of accepting a scholarship or any other type of offer" Source here: https://law.yale.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/ask-asha/speaking-law-school-scams

That was from 2012. The text has been updated slightly, and I think the relevant text she is citing is now written in 2017 that law schools should, "allow applicants to freely accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school" Source: http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/publications-(lsac-resources)/statementofgoodadm.pdf (for some reason it's not linking the whole hyperlink, so copy paste to your browser)

If I were you, I would do a little more research, given that blog was written in 2012. To me, at least in spirit, such an imposition would not meet the guidelines put forth by LSAC, although those guidelines do say that they are not strictly enforced and are just guidance to schools.

If I was in your situation, I would, depending on just how explicit they will make you certify you did in fact withdraw, simply accept the scholarship without lying or compromising your integrity. Or you could bring up this guideline with the admissions office.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

What I remember reading is in line with what was written above. Basically, they can make you withdraw apps from all schools that have accepted you, but not from schools that you are on wait lists of (or have yet to hear back from).

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

I think you can ask more $$$ if your wailist-school admit you. So hold on and do more research!!

Congrats anyway!!!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    edited May 2017 3112 karma

I think you should kinda push them off. Not directly but don't reply to emails unless they are required and stuff like that. If you don't acknowledge it, you'll have more leeway and could maybe say you didn't see the email or whatever. Either way, tread lightly.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2017 23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    What I remember reading is in line with what was written above. Basically, they can make you withdraw apps from all schools that have accepted you, but not from schools that you are on wait lists of (or have yet to hear back from).

Yup, this is correct @lsatlyfe.

Also, if you haven't already, try writing LOCIs for schools you wish to attend, but are still on the waitlist.