Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free LR Tutoring [coming soon] (Update with a polling question)

SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
edited May 2017 in Logical Reasoning 10774 karma

Hey everyone,

I want to get feedback and see if there is an interest out their in studying LR but with a focus on strategies that increase your understanding beyond just that PT and question.

Instead of the traditional method where we are just just blind reviewing and trying to understand the question in front of us, we will be focusing on identifying patterns behind each argument so we can carry what we learned over to other LR stimulus in future PT's.

A lot of speed in LR comes from our ability to quickly spot these patterns that are constantly repeating. These patterns are not about learning question types - the core curriculum does a phenomenal job of that - but more about argument types.

So yeah, let me know what you guys think and if you are interested. : )

Update:
I am going to let all of you decide what PT series you would like to use to study these patterns.

PT 30-39:
Pros: These are basically drill materials PT's and are considered ideal for burning in order to study. Even the very beginners can join this.
Con: These are older PT's and hence a little less relevant than 40 series. We have also seen a lot of these questions as part of our core curriculum.

PT 40-49
Pros: They are a bit more relevant though I think there is not that much difference as the logic has not changed much from PT 1. I think it's fine to burn these for drills as well since we still have 46 plus fresh PT's left after these.
Cons: Some people still like to use them as fresh PT's.

PT 50-59:
I had a private request for this but since I cannot edit the poll if this series is your preference you can just write this down as a comment below and I would count it in the poll.

PT's Series to use
  1. What PT series would you be comfortable using for this?132 votes
    1. PT 30-39
      44.70%
    2. PT 40-49
      55.30%

Comments

• SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma

I'm interested!!

• csb171819csb171819 Alum Member
    28 karma

I am interested! Identifying patterns in the LSAT arguments is an issue I have been having since I started studying LR.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Also interested!

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1063 karma

Um YES! Definitely interested. I try to do this but it doesn't come easy to me.

• kombuchakombucha Alum Member
    202 karma

yay Sami! great idea.

• andrewpete93andrewpete93 Free Trial Member
    62 karma

Also interested!

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

@Sami said:
    Hey everyone,

A lot of speed in LR comes from our ability to quickly spot these patterns that are constantly repeating. These patterns are not about learning question types - the core curriculum does a phenomenal job of that - but more about argument types.

This is huge and often overlooked!

• calftempcalftemp Free Trial Member
    121 karma

@Sami - Yes, great idea!! Count me in! :)

• 44 karma

Great idea, I'd be interested!

• Maximus4Maximus4 Alum Member
    206 karma

This sounds amazing!

• kjsmith914kjsmith914 Alum Member
    226 karma

interested! I've been noticing patterns too, esp in RC, but haven't discussed them or really been able to verbalize what they are. this would be super helpful! :)

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

very interested!

• smseraj3smseraj3 Alum Member
    162 karma

Interested!

• mcspaddenmatthewmcspaddenmatthew Alum Member
    10 karma

Interested

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    edited May 2017 775 karma

Yes! This allows us to go on hunt mode and hunt mode can save us so much time! I'm definitely interested as well!

• LowFlyByLowFlyBy Member
    43 karma

Interested

• PearlyGoGoPearlyGoGo Alum Member
    171 karma

Interested !!!

• William DoolittleWilliam Doolittle Alum Member
    29 karma

Count me in

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    edited May 2017 429 karma

Very Interested !

• TryingMyBestTryingMyBest Alum Member
    40 karma

Interested!

• nslowry912nslowry912 Member
    27 karma

Count me in!

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    edited May 2017 1644 karma

sure. Which PTs or type of LR will you focus on?

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

Interested!

• jml_2252jml_2252 Member
    22 karma

Interested!!

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Interested!!

• UnluckyviolinUnluckyviolin Member
    27 karma

Interested!

• studying_hardstudying_hard Alum Member
    18 karma

interested!

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited May 2017 2301 karma

I am very interested! I think it is great that you are focusing in on argument types. @jknauf is totally right, that is too often overlooked.

Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of certain argument types not only increases your speed but also accuracy.

I have noticed some argument types showing up frequently. For example, super strong deductive arguments (with little support) and conditional arguments. If someone claims all A are B, that is a bold statement that has an incredible weakness. A single counterexample tears it to pieces. As for conditional arguments like "If global warming continues, Tuvalu will disappear," You have to strengthen or weaken the argument in very specific ways. An answer like "Global warming will not continue" does not actually hurt or help this argument at all. You need to target the conditional relationship not just the individual pieces.

I really look forward to this. Thanks, @Sami.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited May 2017 10774 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    I am very interested! I think it is great that you are focusing in on argument types. @jknauf is totally right, that is too often overlooked.

Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of certain argument types not only increases your speed but also accuracy.

I have noticed some argument types showing up frequently. For example, super strong deductive arguments (with little support) and conditional arguments. If someone claims all A are B, that is a bold statement that has an incredible weakness. A single counterexample tears it to pieces. As for conditional arguments like "If global warming continues, Tuvalu will disappear," You have to strengthen or weaken the argument in very specific ways. An answer like "Global warming will not continue" does not actually hurt or help this argument at all. You need to target the conditional relationship not just the individual pieces.

And that's why you are amazing <3. Can't wait to have you there. <3 <3

edited May 2017 10774 karma

@dennisgerrard said:
    sure. Which PTs or type of LR will you focus on?

It's in progress. I'll let you know soon. This post was just to see if I should even try to put an event like this together.

• meganr23meganr23 Alum Member
    42 karma

I'm interested!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I am interested!! <3

I like your approach especially because I'm starting to see a pattern of my mistakes which the LSAT Analytics doesn't show. By watching my recordings, I found out that it really takes time for me to comprehend certain argument types.

• ticia.sandersticia.sanders Free Trial Member
    2 karma

I am interested. If the session will being before June 12, 2017
    Count me in Please

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

A thousand times yes!

• 473 karma

Interested! This is an awesome plan sami!

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

Yes definitely!

10774 karma

Update: with a polling question.

• NinaSimoneNinaSimone Alum Member
    297 karma

This is a great idea!

• annewr253annewr253 Alum Member
    439 karma

Yes I will be there!

• Kristen BKristen B Member
    388 karma

Amazing idea, totally interested !!

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Definitely interested! Probably the one section that gives me the most trouble!

1278 karma

I'd be interested in using the 50s!!!

10774 karma

@sweetsecret said:
    I'd be interested in using the 50s!!!

Great!! <3

10774 karma

umm I basically have a 50/50 tie going on. lol

• cmart340cmart340 Alum Member
    24 karma

This would be great. I think its important to understand theory over specific question types. At the end of the day, question stems are just superficial. Analyzing arguments is key

• calftempcalftemp Free Trial Member
    121 karma

Also interested in using the 50's!

1278 karma

When would we be thinking of meeting for these sessions?

10774 karma

@sweetsecret said:
    When would we be thinking of meeting for these sessions?

I am still figuring out the details but I will announce it soon. I am probably going to start this after two weeks since I will be full time LSAT student then and I will have more time.

10774 karma

@calftemp said:
    Also interested in using the 50's!

Got it <3.

@"ticia.sanders" said:
    I am interested. If the session will being before June 12, 2017
    Count me in Please

I will probably be starting this after June 12 since I am leaving my job in two weeks and I will have more time then. But I am sure either way you will do great. If anything I wouldn't change my strategy of doing LR so close to the test date. Good luck for June! <3

• TryingMyBestTryingMyBest Alum Member
    40 karma

I'd be interested in the 50s! Thanks for this.