Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR and skipping

rajanjc92rajanjc92 Alum Member

I have noticed my order of doing LR q's makes or breaks my score. What are some methods you guys use for skipping and doing questions. I usually do 1-10 regardless, then usually the next 5. Then work my way from question 25/26 backward while skipping to do question types i feel comfortable with.

Comments

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

I tried this method. It doesn't work for me since I waste a lot of time flipping back and forth and deciding if a question is worth doing. Then i realize that it's not and now I have to go back. I do have a timing problem but in these scenarios where I'm short on time towards the end, I might skip one of the 20's and move onto some of the later ones. same boat :/

• rajanjc92rajanjc92 Alum Member
    41 karma

@Kewlaidd That is a good point about it wasting time. I just wish there was an easier way to determine the difficulty of the question without having to read it haha. If i read a problem and find out its hard, i have already invested time into it thus making me feel i should at least make the best educated guess i can.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

What I try to do is give the stimulus a fair reading the first time through for every single question, in order. If I find that I don't understand the stimulus after spending some time with it, I circle it and skip. If I skip a question on my first time through, I try to spend no more than one minute on it. This allows for me to finish a section in about 28-30 minutes, leaving me time to return to the 2-4 questions that gave me trouble.

The other difficulty with skipping around as you say you do sometimes is that the most difficult question(s) can be found anywhere on the exam: sometimes it's #13 and other times is #24. I advocate skipping based on difficulty after a read through of the stimulus rather than skipping solely based on question type.

For another related strategy, I would point you to @"Cant Get Right" 's approach to skipping/reviewing curve breaker questions, and his explanation can be found on this thread: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/10892/second-time-through-lr

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Thanks for the link @Zachary_P . That thread is a very closely related concept, and hope it will be helpful!

@rajanjc92 said:
    If i read a problem and find out its hard, i have already invested time into it thus making me feel i should at least make the best educated guess i can.

The time invested in realizing you're struggling is way more minimal than the time you'll invest floundering trying to work it through. I read every question in order and don't think a thing about skipping a question I can't answer. I usually have five questions by the end of a section that I don't have a confident answer to. With the 10 minutes I have left though, I'm not sweating the 45 seconds it took me to realize that I have no idea what the stimulus is even saying on question number 8. Keep moving, and you will bank the time you need. Think of the time it takes you to skip as an investment. You pay in a little, but you get a lot back.