Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delete social media accounts before applying to Law School?

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member

I'm sure many of you have heard the recent story of Harvard rescinding offer letters to several students due to social media activity the administration deemed inappropriate. A few reports that stemmed from the news noted that many admissions reps turn to social media to learn more about their applicants and around 40% said it left a negative result on their application. Has anyone thought of completely deleting all of their social accounts prior to applying to law school just to be safe?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

Yep. I actually plan to. Nothing to gain, everything to lose. Everyone will claim they have nothing to hide and deleting it will make it look suspicious, etc. They aren't trying to solve a murder. They're just checking your social media prof out and all it takes its one of those stupid auto-like robots to say you liked something inappropriate or maybe a friend tagged you in something silly.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

ETA: I'm working with a well known admissions consulting company and they have recommended deleting my social media accounts. Including Top Law School posts.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Yup, I plan on deleting/editing all of my social media. I don't have anything that's necessarily "bad" but better than safe than sorry.

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    edited June 2017 429 karma

I'm personally keeping mines because this is how I keep in touch with some old friends from high school and places I worked. I'm not too worried about it because my family always told me that jobs and schools will view your social media so, I just am careful/mindful about what I post. I just really post "basic stuff" for example family pics, school pics, news articles that I find interesting and stuff. It's your choice though which one you feel is best for you though.

429 karma

Also, if you are using Facebook, you can go to your settings and make it where people will need your permission to tag you in anything such as a post or picture.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2017 4141 karma

I'm probably going to deactivate my account but I'm not going to permanently delete anything. I grew up heeding my parents warnings about the information you put out there, so I'm not particularly worried about my social media accounts. If you have things that you think may be questionable or make you look bad then definitely suspend or delete your social media accounts.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    ETA: I'm working with a well known admissions consulting company and they have recommended deleting my social media accounts. Including Top Law School posts.

Ditto on that plan, just out of curiosity, who are you working with?

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Out of curiosity, can law schools view any part of your profile if you already have the privacy settings up pretty high? I only use facebook and have nothing to hide but naturally keep mine pretty private if you are not my friend.

• Mark ColemanMark Coleman Alum Member
    8 karma

I don't think I am completely getting rid of my social media accounts. I am however, being very selective on what I do post and what I happen to upload as a stat, tweet, or picture. But I have been doing this anyway for a while because I really don't like putting negativity out into the social media world.

429 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    Out of curiosity, can law schools view any part of your profile if you already have the privacy settings up pretty high? I only use Facebook and have nothing to hide but naturally keep mine pretty private if you are not my friend.

You should be fine with your personal messages. The Harvard students whose offers were rescinded were part of a Facebook group that had roughly 100 students in it. The only thing that a person needed to enter that Facebook group is someone to invite them or answer their request to enter the FaceBook page.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@zil020511 said:

@akeegs92 said:
    Out of curiosity, can law schools view any part of your profile if you already have the privacy settings up pretty high? I only use Facebook and have nothing to hide but naturally keep mine pretty private if you are not my friend.

You should be fine with your personal messages. The Harvard students whose offers were rescinded were part of a Facebook group that had roughly 100 students in it. The only thing that a person needed to enter that Facebook group is someone to invite them or answer their request to enter the FaceBook page.

I set everything private on Facebook (except for Cover Photo) and I'm pretty sure they won't even know if it's my page...

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

It is also worth mentioning that the Harvard students that had their offers rescinded posted extremely racist and offensive images. Hopefully, that content is much worse than anything the average law school applicant has on their Facebook page.

I think making your settings private is the best option. Honestly, your Facebook page could be a plus if you have pictures of you volunteering in the community, helping those in need, and participating in extracurricular activities. It really does not need to be a negative thing.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    It is also worth mentioning that the Harvard students that had their offers rescinded posted extremely racist and offensive images. Hopefully, that content is much worse than anything the average law school applicant has on their Facebook page.

I think making your settings private is the best option. Honestly, your Facebook page could be a plus if you have pictures of you volunteering in the community, helping those in need, and participating in extracurricular activities. It really does not need to be a negative thing.

+1

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I like @"nessa.k13.0" 's idea of deactivating for a time. I also don't think I would have anything offensive but everyone is subjective and you never know what tiny thing might make a school representative question you. Working in HR, we creeped on applicants pages all the time and you'd be surprised at what little nuances could put a hiring manager off. Especially if it's down to two excellent candidates and they are looking for any little thing to distinguish the two. Like @"Alex Divine" said nothing to gain, everything to lose.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:
    I like @"nessa.k13.0" 's idea of deactivating for a time. I also don't think I would have anything offensive but everyone is subjective and you never know what tiny thing might make a school representative question you. Working in HR, we creeped on applicants pages all the time and you'd be surprised at what little nuances could put a hiring manager off. Especially if it's down to two excellent candidates and they are looking for any little thing to distinguish the two. Like @"Alex Divine" said nothing to gain, everything to lose.

Like I said: Working with an admissions consultant. Was told without a doubt to delete social media accounts when applying. They aren't looking for pics of you at the soup kitchen, though, that would be heart warming. They're just trying to get a better picture of you. And if your numbers are good, let them be the only picture of you in their head: the perfect candidate.

I've also heard it put this way: They aren't going to find something on FB that gets you in. They can, however, find something that can keep you out, or at the very least, just make you a less desirable candidate.

Either way, no matter what you decide, I think you'll be fine. Short of any pictures with Dillon Roof holding a Confederate Flag, I think they'll still accept you if the numbers are right.

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

I've already deleted Facebook (mostly because I just didn't like it) and I plan to set my Twitter to private just to be safe. Instagram is staying public because my dog is essentially my Instagram's fuzzy overlord and I mean, I don't think a dachshund is going to hurt my chances of getting into a school. Basically the short answer is that erring on the side of caution really can't hurt. I also like the previous comment about being super selective about what gets posted. Thinking critically about what you end up putting out into the social media universe is never really a bad thing, law school or not! I'm glad you asked this because it's something I've been tossing around for a few months now.

3679 karma

Short of any pictures with Dillon Roof holding a Confederate Flag, I think they'll still accept you if the numbers are right.

You are cray LOL!!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

Short of any pictures with Dillon Roof holding a Confederate Flag, I think they'll still accept you if the numbers are right.

You are cray LOL!!!

Hahaha!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"distasio.madeline" said:
    I've already deleted Facebook (mostly because I just didn't like it) and I plan to set my Twitter to private just to be safe. Instagram is staying public because my dog is essentially my Instagram's fuzzy overlord and I mean, I don't think a dachshund is going to hurt my chances of getting into a school. Basically the short answer is that erring on the side of caution really can't hurt. I also like the previous comment about being super selective about what gets posted. Thinking critically about what you end up putting out into the social media universe is never really a bad thing, law school or not! I'm glad you asked this because it's something I've been tossing around for a few months now.

I don't know -- I heard of a girl last year at UVA getting dinged because of her dachshund. ;)

3679 karma

I'm glad you asked this because it's something I've been tossing around for a few months now.

Me as well; I've already changed my Facebook name from my HR years so that employees couldn't find me (you never know when a disgruntled employee might want to creep #truestory). But since I frequent the pages of my favorite schools often, I've wondered if it would be that hard for them to find me if they really wanted too. I've also used my real name on a couple other sites so they could find me on Pinterest, Twitter, etc.

Mark Cuban once said that it's good to completely purge your accounts and start fresh because you never know what anyone could pull up on you from years ago. It's actually not a bad idea especially for those law students who would like to run for public office in the future. You never know what could haunt you then!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

I'm glad you asked this because it's something I've been tossing around for a few months now.

Me as well; I've already changed my Facebook name from my HR years so that employees couldn't find me (you never know when a disgruntled employee might want to creep #truestory). But since I frequent the pages of my favorite schools often, I've wondered if it would be that hard for them to find me if they really wanted too. I've also used my real name on a couple other sites so they could find me on Pinterest, Twitter, etc.

Mark Cuban once said that it's good to completely purge your accounts and start fresh because you never know what anyone could pull up on you from years ago. It's actually not a bad idea especially for those law students who would like to run for public office in the future. You never know what could haunt you then!

Great advice and smart man!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2017 4141 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

Like I said: Working with an admissions consultant. Was told without a doubt to delete social media accounts when applying. They aren't looking for pics of you at the soup kitchen, though, that would be heart warming. They're just trying to get a better picture of you. And if your numbers are good, let them be the only picture of you in their head: the perfect candidate.

I've also heard it put this way: They aren't going to find something on FB that gets you in. They can, however, find something that can keep you out, or at the very least, just make you a less desirable candidate.

Either way, no matter what you decide, I think you'll be fine. Short of any pictures with Dillon Roof holding a Confederate Flag, I think they'll still accept you if the numbers are right.

LOL about the Roof statement--true. Yeah better safe than sorry regarding the question of to delete or not. A main reason I'm inclined to keep my accounts is also because some law schools have great info sessions and focus groups throughout the months of October to February. Chicago had some really cool sessions. HLS had some round table webinars with their admissions office w/Q&A. Law schools will have different orgs (and admissions offices) host different interactive student calls and webinars too. The only way to see a lot of the smaller group events (sometimes short of you regularly searching all the blogs and websites for such things) is to check on Facebook. Sometimes they only link some events on social media too and if I have questions or want more insight into something for my applications, I don't want to miss out on that.

3679 karma

Sometimes they only link some events on social media too and if I have questions or want more insight into something for my applications, I don't want to miss out on that.

Ooo very good point.

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

@"Alex Divine" I don't know -- I heard of a girl last year at UVA getting dinged because of her dachshund. ;)

"Hi, yes, we see here on Instagram that your dog hardly even has legs. What's up with that? It's gonna be a no from us."

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I just don't > @"distasio.madeline" said:

@"Alex Divine" I don't know -- I heard of a girl last year at UVA getting dinged because of her dachshund. ;)

"Hi, yes, we see here on Instagram that your dog hardly even has legs. What's up with that? It's gonna be a no from us."

hahaha! It'd be a first :)

• Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
    261 karma

Honestly, I'm also applying this semester and I've made the choice to leave my social media up presence up. I have strict privacy settings and have been very careful with what I post. Overall, I think if you are a clean writer, make clean posts, and do the tag request feature for your timeline, so long as your profile pics and posts are not crazy, you should be fine.

• Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
    261 karma

In addition, the Harvard students were in a sub fb page where they were the ones to post these extremely offensive memes which goes against all advice you're given regarding social media. Thus irresponsiblity and wrecklessness only reaped what they now sow.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

This debate re surfaces every year. I'm a nerd so I've sort of been on TLS/Reddit LS subforms for nearly 7 years. Keep your profile if you want, it probably won't matter. I'm a big fan of just straight up destiny. If you're dumb enough to have pics and posts that may offend someone, be prepared to pay the price. When professionals who have been consulting for 15+ years tell me it's not worth it, I listen. I just lack the hubris of those who think they know better.

From what I understand is that they aren't CSI'ing your account. They are just looking for bozos and clearly problem applicants. A beer with a friend won't keep you out of H. A pic of sniffing coke off a hooker's ass might.... Use your judgement

All I'm saying is, nothing they see if going to get you in. I'm a 6'2 black man, I just want to be seen as a number to be honest. That's for me.....

• Olivia PopeOlivia Pope Alum Member
    edited June 2017 34 karma

Interesting. But if you don't have anything to hide, why delete? I'm sure that even if you deleted your account, top law schools have the skills, finesse, and resources to access your deleted profile. Social media experts and tech guru's have all attested to the fact that once something is uploaded to social media, it's out there even after being 'deleted'. Perhaps another course of action could be to delete content off your social media that may be questionable but having recently deleted your profiles makes you look guilty and disingenuous at worst, and questionable at best. If you want to delete your social media account, delete it because you genuinely want to and not out of a motive of hiding or covering up or just because you think that will increase your chances of getting into a particular law school. Why are you trying to change yourself, just to get in? Positive content on your social media may speak to the fact that you are a well rounded, cultured individual that may work in your favor. In addition to being the right fit academically and externally, more importantly, top law Schools are also looking for people who are going to be real and be themselves wherever they are. Be true, be you. Just a thought :)

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Lots of good points, @"Alex Divine" said the only thing that matters though, it can't help get you in but it can keep you out. Even of there's a 1 percent chance that an admissions rep sees you posted about Hilary and happens to be a Trump fan, their objectivity might crack. I'm deactivating FB right now, for application purposes and because honestly Facebook is a huge timesuck, don't need that anymore :)

429 karma

I don't think anyone is suggesting deleting their account to cover up something. I just think they are saying better safe than sorry. Plus, some don't want crazy but very possible things to occur such as their account getting hacked and crazy posts being made without their knowledge/consent. That being seen by admission officers could hurt their admissions. I personally will not delete my account because I use it to be social with family and friends and see no significant harm in keeping it. However, I do understand the concern and see why people choose to be either private/delete their account.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tylerdschreur10 said:
    Lots of good points, @"Alex Divine" said the only thing that matters though, it can't help get you in but it can keep you out. Even of there's a 1 percent chance that an admissions rep sees you posted about Hilary and happens to be a Trump fan, their objectivity might crack. I'm deactivating FB right now, for application purposes and because honestly Facebook is a huge timesuck, don't need that anymore :)

Exactly. It makes no sense. Again, ask any admissions consultant about this, it's simple shit. Idk why I sit around and debate it. I need to start playing online Chess/Poker again or something, lmao.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@zil020511 said:
    I don't think anyone is suggesting deleting their account to cover up something. I just think they are saying better safe than sorry. Plus, some don't want crazy but very possible things to occur such as their account getting hacked and crazy posts being made without their knowledge/consent. That being seen by admission officers could hurt their admissions. I personally will not delete my account because I use it to be social with family and friends and see no significant harm in keeping it. However, I do understand the concern and see why people choose to be either private/delete their account.

In the end, like I said, it probably doesn't matter. I'm a black dude, 6'2, and some of my friends look like the thugs they are from the hood I'm from. I just don't want to take the risk of being stereotyped. Everybody thinks they have nothing bad on their accounts until they do and it's too late. It's almost like your comment contradicts itself, haha. At least how I read it.

But still, short of standing with a gun standing next to George Zimmerman, wearing a MAGA hat, you'll be good. Everyone knows admissions / academia are liberals and we should act accordingly. At least make your profile private.....

Actually, now that we've had the discussion ad nauseam, I just don't care anymore. I've passed the wisdom I received from the pros. Some of ya'll know better.

Back to the Norica vs. Wopex pencil debate ;) The real debate that matters!

429 karma

It's almost like your comment contradicts itself, haha. At least how I read it.

I can see how the comment could be read as a contradiction. However, I was speaking in terms of my personal assessment of risk vs. reward. I personally believe the risk of my account being red flag is low though it is still possible. Therefore, to me the reward of having social media (family, friends, information) is worth the risk for me. Yet, I can understand how for someone else this may be different.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@zil020511 said:

It's almost like your comment contradicts itself, haha. At least how I read it.

I can see how the comment could be read as a contradiction. However, I was speaking in terms of my personal assessment of risk vs. reward. I personally believe the risk of my account being red flag is low though it is still possible. Therefore, to me the reward of having social media (family, friends, information) is worth the risk for me. Yet, I can understand how for someone else this may be different.

Haha I am sure your page is fine. There tends to be only 2 types of people on FB. Those who share with family and post wholesome things. Then there are those who post like Future lyrics.... I think you are the former for sure :)

edited June 2017 429 karma

@"Alex Divine" LOL! You're right. I don't post Future's lyrics. I post 21 Savage's and Logic's lyrics instead.

• jayjack34jayjack34 Free Trial Member
    4 karma

Just saying as an investigator, it didn't matter how private an account was set to. I could find the information I was looking for in a matter of minutes. Since being an investigator I have scrubbed all of my social media accounts.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@zil020511 said:
    @"Alex Divine" LOL! You're right. I don't post Future's lyrics. I post 21 Savage's and Logic's lyrics instead.

You're definitely good then. ;) HAHAHA

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jayjack34 said:
    Just saying as an investigator, it didn't matter how private an account was set to. I could find the information I was looking for in a matter of minutes. Since being an investigator I have scrubbed all of my social media accounts.

Yeah, there's some pretty crazy software out there. I have some programs I was able to access to trace any phone number back (cell phones to whose name's the bill was in) also to be able to see private FB/Twitter/Instagram accounts.

I can't even imagine what you had access to as an investigator. This is again why I will be de-activating all my social media. I definitely post questionable and partisan things, at least from what an admissions person might see. LOL

edited June 2017 9372 karma

@jayjack34 said:

I have a different email address for my Facebook and don't have the cellphone number associated with the account. There are literally more than hundred people in my city with the same first name + last name. Can you still track me using my postal address or something? In other words, what can I do to hide my profile!?!?!?!?! lol

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

No, just set your profile settings to private on all accounts. But this would have to include comments and groups and such.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle said:

@jayjack34 said:

I have a different email address for my Facebook and don't have the cellphone number associated with the account. There are literally more than hundred people in my city with the same first name + last name. Can you still track me using my postal address or something? In other words, what can I do to hide my profile!?!?!?!?! lol

If someone wants to find you they can. Namely, like the feds, lol. Law schools ain't got time to be tracking you down like a private investigator. You'll be good if you just set to private/deactivate.

I'm not sure about how postal addressing and searching works. I just have a buddy whose dad was a PI and I can attest how easy it is to find people when you have the software and know how.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Kewlaidd said:
    No, just set your profile settings to private on all accounts. But this would have to include comments and groups and such.

Oh Didn't see this until now... Yup, exactly.

Something we definitely overlooked in this overdrawn discussion is making sure your groups are private. I know my college clubs group wasn't always private and there were pictures of me drinking an alcoholic beverage which involved the fermentation of sugars, mainly derived from cereal grain starches—most commonly from malted barley. I just want to be careful incase the feds are watching ;)

9372 karma

@Kewlaidd said:

My accounts (including posts and groups) are all set private, but @jayjack34 & @"Alex Divine" are saying that it doesn't matter. So I'd like to know what I can do. Deactivating Facebook is the last thing I want to do.....

edited June 2017 9372 karma

Sorry I posted the above before refreshing this page.

@"Alex Divine" said:
    If someone wants to find you they can. Namely, like the feds, lol. Law schools ain't got time to be tracking you down like a private investigator. You'll be good if you just set to private/deactivate.

Ok, good. I was wondering whether I should really deactivate Facebook (I don't want to because I have friends who I can only use Facebook to contact...) Now I only have to worry about the feds! lol

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle said:

Sorry I posted the above before refreshing this page.

@"Alex Divine" said:

Ok, good. I was wondering whether I should really deactivate Facebook (I don't want to because I have friends who I can only use Facebook to contact...) Now I only have to worry about the feds! lol

Yeah, be wise and prudent with what's on there. From talking to you on here you seem very mature and I highly doubt there will be any problems whatsoever.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2017 3652 karma

I don't know anyone who has their full name on any of their social media besides Facebook and that can be easily changed and made private. Admissions people aren't like, computer hackers, they're not gonna be able to find out that you're cutiepie123 on Insta. Google your first/last name and search your first/last name on social media and if you don't like what pops up then delete it.

• jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
    244 karma

I deleted all social media four years ago. At first it really sucked but now I believe its left me in a better position because now I get information from actual sources and articles and not in 140 characters or less from just anyone. Also its kept me from posting things about heated topics that I know I would've ended up regetting later. As for deleting it right before applying to law school that might seem kind of fishy but it really is a judgement call. If your social media is clean then you have nothing to worry about but in today's climate you never know what someone might find offensive and attempt to hold against you. If you do decide to delete it just make sure you have a way to keep in contact with your family and friends :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

@jowens7317 said:
    I deleted all social media four years ago. At first it really sucked but now I believe its left me in a better position because now I get information from actual sources and articles and not in 140 characters or less from just anyone. Also its kept me from posting things about heated topics that I know I would've ended up regetting later. As for deleting it right before applying to law school that might seem kind of fishy but it really is a judgement call. If your social media is clean then you have nothing to worry about but in today's climate you never know what someone might find offensive and attempt to hold against you. If you do decide to delete it just make sure you have a way to keep in contact with your family and friends :)

Can you see when a Facebook was deactivated now-a-days?

Also, so darn true. That's probably why I'm so pro-deactivate crowd.

• jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
    244 karma

I have no idea if they can see when it was deactivated but I'm sure they can find out during the application process by asking you why you don't have social media, when you deleted it, etc. and it probably wouldn't be best to lie haha also it probably wouldn't be good to say I deleted it right before applying and they ask why and you essentially say so you guys wouldn't see anything and deny or rescind my admission so this really is a tricky topic @"Alex Divine"