Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas for a snack during the break

batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
in General 226 karma

Hi everyone, I was hoping to start a discussion where we can post ideas about possible snacks during the 15 minute break. I myself tried with raw almonds and dried prunes on my first actual LSAT try... I was feeling great, mentally and physically, no hunger, not full either, but my score was low. Of course, this is just a simple correlation (maybe there was no relationship and a third factor, not being prepared enough, which influenced my score) but nonetheless I would like to know what are some good options people have tried in the past. Thank you very much and I look forward to this discussion :)

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

I'd stay away from anything with a whole lot of insoluble fiber. I had a banana, trail mix, and 8 oz of water with some matcha powder. Worked great for me.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

When I took the digital LSAT I didn't even open my snack. I definitely would recommend bringing a water (or whatever to drink). I think trailmix is a great option like Cant Get Right said.. that's what I chose as well. Just make sure whatever you bring fits into a routine of some sort. If you shock your body with a protein bar or something that your body isn't used to it can cause issues. Also make sure you get into a habit of breakfast early in the morning (before the test) so you can predict/train yourself to digest it safely :scream:

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

Just don't put raisins in that trail mix. I ate that during a PT. Never again.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

I am planning on eating a protein bar and a line of adderall. ;)

Disclaimer: I am joking about the protein bar.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited June 2017 9372 karma

I was thinking about it for a while last year, and I went through top scorers' Instagram accounts (lol)

I found that Nicole Hopkins recommends Perfect Bar:

But unfortunately they are not available where I live, and I was thinking of importing for a while, but I realized I should be studying instead of thinking so much about what I should eat on the test day.

I'll probably bring a banana and a chocolate bar.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Has anyone tried the gum method? I know there's been studies done that say if you chew a certain flavor gum while studying and then again while taking the test, your brain has an easier time recalling information. Would it be plausible to chew say a stick of spearmint before entering the testing center and then again during the break?

I also def see the merits of trail mix with m&ms or something chocolatey! Salty, sweet, with a burst of caffeine to keep ya going.

• joe.j.hamjoe.j.ham Alum Member
    88 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    Has anyone tried the gum method? I know there's been studies done that say if you chew a certain flavor gum while studying and then again while taking the test, your brain has an easier time recalling information. Would it be plausible to chew say a stick of spearmint before entering the testing center and then again during the break?

I also def see the merits of trail mix with m&ms or something chocolatey! Salty, sweet, with a burst of caffeine to keep ya going.

I've actually done this for a bit while I was taking PTs! Wanted to do some associative training to get myself cognitively "primed", so to speak, for test days, etc. What I noticed, though, was that most times I wouldn't even be chewing my gum because I was too focused on the task at hand or I was chewing my gum and couldn't focus on the task at hand.

It definitely helps with nerves while you begin and during the break I would say (perhaps as an alternative to chewing through and through)

1063 karma

Isn't gum banned?

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited June 2017 10774 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I'd stay away from anything with a whole lot of insoluble fiber. I had a banana, trail mix, and 8 oz of water with some matcha powder. Worked great for me.

That's a lot of food! I can barely get more than a bit of orange juice down my throat.

Should I force myself to eat a bit? I am always not hungry during the break.

edited June 2017 1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Hahahah I definitely lol'd. Well played sir. I can stand behind this method. This is TCR.

1997 karma

@RafaelBernard said:
    Isn't gum banned?

Yeah it is during the test. They are implying chew gum up until you start when you have to dispose of it, and chew it during your break.

1063 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@RafaelBernard said:
    Isn't gum banned?

Yeah it is during the test. They are implying chew gum up until you start when you have to dispose of it, and chew it during your break.

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying! And thank god it's banned.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Hahahah I definitely lol'd. Well played sir. I can stand behind this method. This is TCR.

:wink:

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited June 2017 3072 karma

Some nibbles off a bar of dark chocolate (70%) and maybe some Ritz crackers to cleanse my palate, followed by a swig of flavored water.

27821 karma

@Sami said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

That's a lot of food! I can barely get more than a bit of orange juice down my throat.

Should I force myself to eat a bit? I am always not hungry during the break.

Not if you don't do it during your breaks on your PTs. If you're not hungry or feeling drained, that's great, no need to worry! Just make sure you're consistent. Practice the way you'll do it for for real.

10774 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

Not if you don't do it during your breaks on your PTs. If you're not hungry or feeling drained, that's great, no need to worry! Just make sure you're consistent. Practice the way you'll do it for for real.

I do feel brain drained sometimes but I don't feel hungry. That's why I thought shoving some fresh orange juice would be better and would give me that sugar too. Should I be eating something to combat mental fatigue?

I like that you mentioned a banana. Maybe I'll give that a go.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

I like to eat a honey crisp apple for a tasty, natural way of getting some sugar in me for the second half of the test!

edited June 2017 10774 karma

@Zachary_P said:
    I like to eat a honey crisp apple for a tasty, natural way of getting some sugar in me for the second half of the test!

okay that just sounds delicious! I love how they name these apples. In terms of taste I like red delicious apple.

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    edited June 2017 226 karma

@Sami said:

@Zachary_P said:

okay that just sounds delicious! I love how they name these apples. In terms of taste I like red delicious apple.

@Sami and @Zachary_P wouldn't the delicious honey crisp apple contradict @"Cant Get Right"'s advice:

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I'd stay away from anything with a whole lot of insoluble fiber.

...meaning the skin of the apple

10774 karma

@therealnas said:

@Sami said:

@Zachary_P said:

@Sami and @Zachary_P wouldn't the delicious honey crisp apple contradict @"Cant Get Right"'s advice:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

True. Maybe I should peel my apples?

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

@Sami said:

@therealnas said:

@Sami said:

@Zachary_P said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

True. Maybe I should peel my apples?

@therealnas Hmm interesting point. Maybe I'll go with @Sami 's idea and peel an apple morning of and throw some lemon juice on it to keep it fresh.

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

I second the Perfect Bar nomination. That was my snack. It is very tasty and nutrious. The only problem is that it is a little dry, so drink something with it.

I made the mistake of taking a big bite out of the Perfect Bar (without drinking anything) right before going back into the testing center. I almost choked and died. This would have been terrible because I only had two scored sections up to that point, which means I would have only gotten like a 145! I ended up with a dry mouth and a 171, but I still think about what a difference a sip of water would have made. Please remember, drink (water) responsibly!

• ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
    156 karma

i'm going with one of those 'naked' bars which have around 3 ingredients (dates and a variation of nuts). these are quite small so good for the people who aren't that hungry during the break, and the dates give me a burst of energy to keep going.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Surprised no one else said anything about matcha. I can't rave about it enough. Perfectly sweet and it supposedly helps with one's mood and aids in concentration. I put whole milk and lavender in mine. Besides that, I just had a Cliff bar and half a banana.

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

@Sprinkles said:
    Surprised no one else said anything about matcha. I can't rave about it enough. Perfectly sweet and it supposedly helps with one's mood and aids in concentration. I put whole milk and lavender in mine. Besides that, I just had a Cliff bar and half a banana.

I believe @"Cant Get Right" said matcha is a necessary addition to his 15 minute break snack! How do you find the caffeine content in it? Does it not interfere with your focus? Does it make it better or not? @Sprinkles

27821 karma

Green tea is very low in caffeine. It's the theanine you really want. Like caffeine, it boosts metabolism and cognition, but whereas caffeine increases anxiety, theanine actually reduces it by raising dopamine levels.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

^^^^^

Pretty much this! Drinking matcha during the 15 min break will help reduce anxiety and will aid focus thanks to its rich properties.

• sailcarolinesailcaroline Free Trial Member
    40 karma

During the Digital LSAT I had a chocolate chip Cliff bar and chugged a bottle of Honest peach iced tea. Think I'm sticking with that for the real thing.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@RafaelBernard said:

Same! Anything sweet .. especially dried fruit.. gives me a short energy burst then a huge crash :(

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    I second the Perfect Bar nomination. That was my snack. It is very tasty and nutrious. The only problem is that it is a little dry, so drink something with it.

I made the mistake of taking a big bite out of the Perfect Bar (without drinking anything) right before going back into the testing center. I almost choked and died. This would have been terrible because I only had two scored sections up to that point, which means I would have only gotten like a 145! I ended up with a dry mouth and a 171, but I still think about what a difference a sip of water would have made. Please remember, drink (water) responsibly!

There may be a positive correlation between Perfect Bar and 170+....I feel like I need to get one of those...(lol)

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Green tea is very low in caffeine. It's the theanine you really want. Like caffeine, it boosts metabolism and cognition, but whereas caffeine increases anxiety, theanine actually reduces it by raising dopamine levels.

For me, both matcha and coffee have a pretty strong diuretic effect, so I only drink water during 15 minute break.

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma

quest protein bars are the shit, highly recommend

• rnouri44rnouri44 Alum Member
    9 karma

A PB&J sandwich, specifically the Uncrustable brand. It'll give you a good amount of protein, sugar, and carbohydrates! NBA players use it to boost their mental strength and energy:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4340438/Why-NBA-athletes-rely-PB-J-sandwiches-boost-energy.html

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Starbucks Bistro Protein
    box for the win. Plus a few pieces of dark chocolate almonds and water with Starbucks refreher mix. Hits all of the protein/carb/fats mix. And a B-12.

1063 karma

@tringo335 said:

@RafaelBernard said:

Same! Anything sweet .. especially dried fruit.. gives me a short energy burst then a huge crash :(

Ah, for me it was the fiber not the sweetness. But carbs, healthy protein, and some sugar is what I'm going to do. PB&J sounds good and easy to go down. Also, I tend to drink more water during the break then before the exam due to the large amount of time you can't use the restroom before the test and for that first half. PB and water is good.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

one of those mini 8 ounces of Gatorade, and a Protein Bar. I might not even eat anything because I tend to just have no appetite when being under stress.

1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    one of those mini 8 ounces of Gatorade, and a Protein Bar. I might not even eat anything because I tend to just have no appetite when being under stress.

I didn't touch my snack during the digital. Drank about half of my water (16 oz I think) and just sat there making mental notes of all the stupid things the other kids said while waiting :lol:

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

i'm going with a can of sardines...

1063 karma

@imharris said:

joking or for real?

27821 karma

@imharris said:

I think I actually really like this. Lots of good fats and protein. None of the guilt.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@RafaelBernard said:

@tringo335 said:

@RafaelBernard said:

Ah, for me it was the fiber not the sweetness. But carbs, healthy protein, and some sugar is what I'm going to do. PB&J sounds good and easy to go down. Also, I tend to drink more water during the break then before the exam due to the large amount of time you can't use the restroom before the test and for that first half. PB and water is good.

I have no idea what I'm going to eat lol. I'm just focused on getting through CC first. Does fiber make people crash in general? When I did my first PT I brought a snack of turkey slices, grape tomatoes and a string cheese to the library. It was perfect. So I guess I'll try that when the day comes.