Laabradir33Laabradir33 Alum Member
edited July 2022 in Logic Games 161 karma

Comments

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited June 2017 2301 karma

@asdf1234guy This is a really great question.

I started out by doing games by type. I think this really helps you identify games and the best game board for them. You start to recognize similarities between games of the same type (common inferences, diagramming techniques, etc.). This type of training will allow you to quickly spot the game type on a PT and the best way to attack it.

That being said, you eventually want to transition into drilling sections. One of the draw backs of doing games by type is that you will fall into a rhythm that will make the games easier than they actually are. It is like doing the same type of math problem over and over. You start to get good at it because you know what to expect. One of the ways that the LSAT challenges us is by making us switch gears quickly by giving us four different games in a section. You want to get used to this. Also, you want to practice identifying games within a section.

Thus, I would suggest drilling by game type for a bit (maybe 5-10 games of each type). Then you can drill by sections using the LG PT 1-35 bundle. Good luck!

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited June 2017 5120 karma

Agree with @Daniel.Sieradzki!
    When first starting out, it is so important to understand each game type and then blend the games into sections. I have done the LG 1-35 Bundle fool-proofing twice.

I have kept a log of the "hardest" games for me that I keep copying and re-doing over and over again still to this day. Last few days before taking PT81, I did my stack of my LG nemesis to make sure LG skills were sharp. LG is a skill that can be learned but time away can also lead to loss of skills (from my personal experience that has also been echoed by others) ~ not losing the ability to quickly see the best set-up and make the necessary inferences to build time for any crazy game LSAC could give us is paramount for those points.

While LG is only 23 points, it is a learnable 23 points that you can have in the bag:)

Edited to add: After each PT you take, fool-proof each LG section:)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Daniel.Sieradzki" said:
    @asdf1234guy This is a really great question.

I started out by doing games by type. I think this really helps you identify games and the best game board for them. You start to recognize similarities between games of the same type (common inferences, diagramming techniques, etc.). This type of training will allow you to quickly spot the game type on a PT and the best way to attack it.

That being said, you eventually want to transition into drilling sections. One of the draw backs of doing games by type is that you will fall into a rhythm that will make the games easier than they actually are. It is like doing the same type of math problem over and over. You start to get good at it because you know what to expect. One of the ways that the LSAT challenges us is by making us switch gears quickly by giving us four different games in a section. You want to get used to this. Also, you want to practice identifying games within a section.

Thus, I would suggest drilling by game type for a bit (maybe 5-10 games of each type). Then you can drill by sections using the LG PT 1-35 bundle. Good luck!

Totally agree with this. When I began, I did games by type until I was decently good at every common type. Sometimes it means doing 10 games and other times (like with grouping games) I had to do probably 25+ before I really started being able to see the patterns.

There was just something about doing 5-10 sequencing games in a row one day that it finally clicked

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited June 2017 3072 karma

I'm not sure what the question bank is, but it's probably similar to the Cambridge LSAT packets, which contain all LG from the first 38 tests sorted by type. I ran through those LG packets in their entirety 3 times before I even touched a timed section. It's the best decision regarding LSAT prep I've ever made.

I also did something similar with the Cambridge LSAT LR packets.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    I'm not sure what the question bank is, but it's probably similar to the Cambridge LSAT packets, which contain all LG from the first 38 tests sorted by type. I ran through those LG packets in their entirety 3 times before I even touched a timed section. It's the best decision regarding LSAT prep I've ever made.

I also did something similar with the Cambridge LSAT LR packets.

Yeah, that's what I used too! I ended up burning PT 37 and 38 questions with those packets, haha. I guess I didn't "burn" them since I technically learned and got a lot out of those packets. I'm glad 7Sage took their spot and now has the bundles available!

3072 karma

Yeah, good addition.

edited June 2017 3072 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Yeah, good addition.

Should perhaps sort some newer games by type, too, if not already on the way.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Depend on your stage. If you have exposed to different types and want to drill certain type, it's fine to drill some LGs for early games. Yet, I suggest you to drill timed section to strengthen your pace regardless of LG type. Repetition and repetition.

3072 karma

@dennisgerrard said:
    Depend on your stage. If you have exposed to different types and want to drill certain type, it's fine to drill some LGs for early games. Yet, I suggest you to drill timed section to strengthen your pace regardless of LG type. Repetition and repetition.

Good phase for the months leading up to the LSAT.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Core Member
    2983 karma

In the beginning/learning phases is absolutely fine to drill by type. Understanding the different types and set-ups is essential for success. Once you've reached a level of proficiency that you are comfortable with then you can move toward drilling individual sections. Good luck!