edited September 2019 in General 32 karma

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Welcome to 7Sage! :)

Nice diagnostic! I started right about there and through completing the CC and some hard work was able to pretty quickly hit the 160s. Missing 18 LG questions on the diagnostic is nothing, I'm pretty sure I missed 20, haha. The good news is that most people agree that games are the easiest section to improve on. So there's a silver lining to missing a bunch on LG.

As far as the best way to approach the CC, I think going through it at comfortable pace is best. The most important thing is to aim for a high score and not to be ready by a certain date. Having a tentative test date is fine, but all too often people lock themselves into a date and work towards that instead of a score. It's important to realize that this one test will count far more than your 3.95 even though that GPA took 4 years to earn. So don't sell yourself short, especially if you're aiming for HYS.

I found taking notes as going through the CC pretty helpful. I rarely reviewed them afterwards, but it did ensure that I was actively listening and was helpful if I ever did need a refresher to return to notes.

You'll see that you have problem sets under many of the lessons. Don't feel like you need to always do all of them. I generally did as many as I needed until I felt comfortable with a given lesson. So if after one easy, medium, and hard problem set, I felt like I had that particular lesson/question type down, I would move on. I would suggest practicing timing myself while doing the problem sets and then blind review them. It is important to remember that ultimately we have to get good at taking this timed exam and not just good at the LSAT in general.

When blind reviewing your first exam, I would recommend printing out a clean copy of the exam. This helps us to avoid fighting against our egos when we need to examine our reasoning on a circled question. Then go through the questions that you circled on the timed exam, but take as long as you need to dissect the stimulus focusing on the premises + conclusion. I recommend writing out a summary of both. I also find it helpful to write out why each answer choice is either correct or incorrect. If it was indeed a question I circled and got incorrect then I try to write out a little summary of what I did wrong and how to avoid it moving forward.

The last thing I do when BR'ing is watch all of JY's explanations, even for the ones I get right. There may be a more efficient way to get the answer or maybe you find out that you got the question correct, but through incorrect or faulty reasoning.

If you haven't already check out the entire lesson on how to properly BR: https://7sage.com/lesson/the-blind-review-is-a-habit/

Good luck :)

• 32 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Welcome to 7Sage! :)

Nice diagnostic! I started right about there and through completing the CC and some hard work was able to pretty quickly hit the 160s. Missing 18 LG questions on the diagnostic is nothing, I'm pretty sure I missed 20, haha. The good news is that most people agree that games are the easiest section to improve on. So there's a silver lining to missing a bunch on LG.

As far as the best way to approach the CC, I think going through it at comfortable pace is best. The most important thing is to aim for a high score and not to be ready by a certain date. Having a tentative test date is fine, but all too often people lock themselves into a date and work towards that instead of a score. It's important to realize that this one test will count far more than your 3.95 even though that GPA took 4 years to earn. So don't sell yourself short, especially if you're aiming for HYS.

I found taking notes as going through the CC pretty helpful. I rarely reviewed them afterwards, but it did ensure that I was actively listening and was helpful if I ever did need a refresher to return to notes.

You'll see that you have problem sets under many of the lessons. Don't feel like you need to always do all of them. I generally did as many as I needed until I felt comfortable with a given lesson. So if after one easy, medium, and hard problem set, I felt like I had that particular lesson/question type down, I would move on. I would suggest practicing timing myself while doing the problem sets and then blind review them. It is important to remember that ultimately we have to get good at taking this timed exam and not just good at the LSAT in general.

When blind reviewing your first exam, I would recommend printing out a clean copy of the exam. This helps us to avoid fighting against our egos when we need to examine our reasoning on a circled question. Then go through the questions that you circled on the timed exam, but take as long as you need to dissect the stimulus focusing on the premises + conclusion. I recommend writing out a summary of both. I also find it helpful to write out why each answer choice is either correct or incorrect. If it was indeed a question I circled and got incorrect then I try to write out a little summary of what I did wrong and how to avoid it moving forward.

The last thing I do when BR'ing is watch all of JY's explanations, even for the ones I get right. There may be a more efficient way to get the answer or maybe you find out that you got the question correct, but through incorrect or faulty reasoning.

If you haven't already check out the entire lesson on how to properly BR: https://7sage.com/lesson/the-blind-review-is-a-habit/

Good luck :)

Thank you so much for the tips! I am so excited to start this process.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

152 is a great diagnostic. I think Alex pretty much has you covered. One thing I'll add is pay special attention to the lesson about common LSAT mistakes. If you're just starting out, you have a great opportunity to avoid a lot of pitfalls. Take advantage of that. I would especially highlight: the importance of not burning through PTs. More than anything else, you can't undo that one. There are certainly ways to make the best of it, but it's a serious detriment. Once you finish the curriculum and do start taking PTs (do NOT take any PTs until you've finished the CC), just make sure you're learning from them. At that point, about 1 a week is as accelerated a pace as most people can handle if it's being done right. There is a lot of work to do between PTs, and if you're not doing that work, you have no reason to expect improvement on the next PT. And if you can't expect to have improved, you should not be taking a PT.

Welcome to 7Sage, and good luck!