Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking Application Strategy Advice

ItzcallyItzcally Alum Member
in General 30 karma

Should I apply as early as possible for early consideration to my top school (or all my target schools) before I have the LSAT score I want? Should I retake sooner (Sept) rather than later (Dec)? Can I mention in my application/addendum that I am retaking the LSAT? Will I be able to submit an updated score once I retake?

Or should I wait to retake and then apply?

I took the June LSAT and while I underperformed compared to my PTs I know for sure that I hit the numbers for some law schools I'll be applying to! So yeah I am one step closer to going to law school. :) I was scoring 160 consistently for 5 PTs between April and May (PT68-73) , but the week before the test I wrote three consecutive 157s on more recent PTs (still had a lot of 'aha moments), and scored 154 officially in June. My first LSAT, June '14 was a 150.

That said, my intent is to apply as early as possible this cycle. My target school is UC Hastings, which I don't quite have the numbers for yet (3.2/154). Perhaps my diversity statement, work experience and volunteer experience at Hastings will bridge the gap. However, I don't want to barely get in on hardship sympathy, I want to earn my place and so I plan to retake and improve my LSAT score significantly. Other schools I'm targeting, USF, Santa Clara and Golden Gate U., I have the necessary numbers, but not sufficient numbers for significant scholarship money. I'm confident, based on my study habits that I can score higher by September, but I would prefer to take December in order to improve by 10+ points.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Aim for December as a tentative date. Study for as long as it takes to get the increase you want. The most beautiful thing about the LSAT is it is one of the only tests that gives you unlimited time and chances to prep for it. Don't take it for granted! If you can improve 10+ points by December that is absolutely, unquestionably, worth postponing in for in order to achieve that jump.

Have you considered using a 7Sage course or some type of other reputable company?

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

I'd like to echo the question about writing an addendum that a retake is coming. Is this normal / a good idea?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"LSAT Is Coming" said:
    I'd like to echo the question about writing an addendum that a retake is coming. Is this normal / a good idea?

There's no need to write an addendum if you are planning on a retake, at least from my understanding. Not sure how normal it is, but I would not write one myself.

• a97543a97543 Alum Member
    4 karma

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up doing? How did it go? I am in a very similar situation as you and looking at the same schools. Thanks!