Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too late to start on Personal Statement?

I'm studying for the Sept test right now (will be my first test) but I want to apply this cycle. I know I should be working on my personal statement and my diversity statement but I'm really bad at multi-tasking and I worry that writing while studying at the same time might distract me from fully concentrating on the test.

Would it be too late to start on the personal statement and the diversity statement immediately after I take the Sept LSAT? Would the admissions course on 7sage help me with this?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

No, not at all. I finished mine in about 45 minutes and spent the next couple of weeks editing and editing some more. But I think you'd have some time between now and September to write those things.

It was also nice to have something productive to do in between study breaks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Oh, and yes, the admissions course is gold. Make sure to fit in time to watch those videos and I learned a lot about dos/don'ts and what makes a good PS/DS!

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

I'm studying for September LSAT as well. I'm also studying full-time right now. I find I can only go about 6 days before I need a break. So I take every Sunday off and usually work on some drafts and edits on my essay. I find that way I add pieces to it at a time and it gives me time to think about it and adjust it. I find the break from LSAT actually nice.

It probably depends on your study schedule and if you are working full-time, but I think working on some writing on a day off a week from LSAT could work well. I also think you'd totally have time to still do it after September if you want, it will just be a bit more rushed. The admissions course here is great. I just have the very lowest level of the course, which gives me access to all the essay videos and other parts of your application help through videos (it's great). I will likely also pay an extra $180 when I'm closer to a final draft of my PS to have David look over it. They do a 48 hour turn over time on a one time edit.

If you want to pay more, they have lots of support for the PS and other aspects of your application, with quick turn around time

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

@practicethepause said:
    I'm studying for the Sept test right now (will be my first test) but I want to apply this cycle. I know I should be working on my personal statement and my diversity statement but I'm really bad at multi-tasking and I worry that writing while studying at the same time might distract me from fully concentrating on the test.

Would it be too late to start on the personal statement and the diversity statement immediately after I take the Sept LSAT? Would the admissions course on 7sage help me with this?

I think it depends on when you want to apply. If you don't start working on those essays until after the LSAT (mid-September), then you might want to wait until November to really polish them before submitting applications to your competitive choices. If you have topics in mind, then writing the rough drafts of the essays will probably not take too long, but the bulk of the time comes from waiting for peer edits and revising yourself.

A huge benefit of getting the essays done early is that you can revisit them every few weeks and find new ways to improve them just by virtue of having time in between edits. The longer you have in between edits, the more your mind will be able to notice places in your own writing that could use improvements.

• CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma

I applied last cycle. I waited until my September score released (so end of October) to start writing my PS (I was thinking about the subject all the time though). And I submitted my application right before thanksgiving.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CocoZhang said:
    I applied last cycle. I waited until my September score released (so end of October) to start writing my PS (I was thinking about the subject all the time though). And I submitted my application right before thanksgiving.

Yeah, I mean I remember you killing the LSAT and still making time to write a killer PS. It really doesn't take that much time once you have an idea of what you want to write about. Editing is what took me the longest and making sure I had other experts I trust proofread and edit it.

• CocoZhangCocoZhang Alum Member
    476 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@CocoZhang said:

Yeah, I mean I remember you killing the LSAT and still making time to write a killer PS. It really doesn't take that much time once you have an idea of what you want to write about. Editing is what took me the longest and making sure I had other experts I trust proofread and edit it.

Haha yeah, I worked with David to edit my PS. Since David always responded within a day or two, the total editing process only took about a month. I also had two other experts (read: friends) to proofread my PS. The time is more than enough if you can work efficiently. Also, I did not need to drastically change my PS subject or something.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CocoZhang said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@CocoZhang said:

Haha yeah, I worked with David to edit my PS. Since David always responded within a day or two, the total editing process only took about a month. I also had two other experts (read: friends) to proofread my PS. The time is more than enough if you can work efficiently. Also, I did not need to drastically change my PS subject or something.

Sounds like you are in good shape, in that case! :relaxed:

• practicethepausepracticethepause Alum Member
    111 karma

I'll definitely be working on the essays on my rest day from now on like y'all have suggested.

@"Alex Divine" @CocoZhang @"vanessa fisher" @LSATiscoming Thank you all so much for your advice!! I really appreciate it

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@practicethepause said:
    I'll definitely be working on the essays on my rest day from now on like y'all have suggested.

@"Alex Divine" @CocoZhang @"vanessa fisher" @LSATiscoming Thank you all so much for your advice!! I really appreciate it

You got it! Good luck