Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake 161

Madssssss L.Madssssss L. Alum Member
in General 124 karma

Hi all!
I want to start by saying thank you for welcoming me into this great 7Sage community. I just took the June LSAT, and after consistently PTing in the mid-160s in the weeks before the test, I scored a 161. I have decided to retake in September, because I am aspiring to get into law schools ranked #7-#25 ish, ideally with funding. I have a 4.0 GPA.
How would you recommend I approach the next 10 weeks? I took 18 PTs in prep for June and did extensive BR of them. I struggle with Reading Comp, typically missing 5-9 questions. And LR ranges too, missing 3-7 per section. LG are better, but one hard game has the potential to throw me.
Any advice?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Madeline L." said:
    Hi all!
    I want to start by saying thank you for welcoming me into this great 7Sage community. I just took the June LSAT, and after consistently PTing in the mid-160s in the weeks before the test, I scored a 161. I have decided to retake in September, because I am aspiring to get into law schools ranked #7-#25 ish, ideally with funding. I have a 4.0 GPA.
    How would you recommend I approach the next 10 weeks? I took 18 PTs in prep for June and did extensive BR of them. I struggle with Reading Comp, typically missing 5-9 questions. And LR ranges too, missing 3-7 per section. LG are better, but one hard game has the potential to throw me.
    Any advice?

Seems like you should focus on drilling timed sections and do some serious BR. It doesn't seem like you have any crazy issues to address. RC could be a pain ... what issues are you having with RC? Any particular type of question? What strategy do you use if you use one at all?

Also, continue to fool proof games to lessen the chances of an odd ball game throwing you off.

As far as LR, that is hard to diagnose because it could be so manny issues. What do your analytics say you need to work on as far as LR question types?

• Madssssss L.Madssssss L. Alum Member
    124 karma

Hey! So on RC I get to all of the passages (about 3-3.5 mins for reading), then mental 5-sec check with myself to know main idea/structure, then attack the questions. I generally find 2-3 questions each passage that I'm super torn between two answer choices. They are almost always details/information related and/or most strongly supported.
    Unfortunately with LR, I'm a bit all over the place. I study Philosophy at university and it isn't so much logic/arguments that trouble me more generally, but I seem prone to stupid mistakes and falling into traps with the difficult questions in the teens. And on days where I'm super mentally lucid, I can score well on LR, but when I'm more foggy (June test nerves), I notice a difference.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Madeline L." said:
    Hey! So on RC I get to all of the passages (about 3-3.5 mins for reading), then mental 5-sec check with myself to know main idea/structure, then attack the questions. I generally find 2-3 questions each passage that I'm super torn between two answer choices. They are almost always details/information related and/or most strongly supported.
    Unfortunately with LR, I'm a bit all over the place. I study Philosophy at university and it isn't so much logic/arguments that trouble me more generally, but I seem prone to stupid mistakes and falling into traps with the difficult questions in the teens. And on days where I'm super mentally lucid, I can score well on LR, but when I'm more foggy (June test nerves), I notice a difference.

Wow, it's crazy how close this is to what I feel like on the test. The scores, sections and everything is the same.

I'm working with a tutor soon to see how I can break past these walls. Everything you described is identical to me. You can do this!

124 karma

@LSATcantwin Best of luck to you!! We've got this. And I'll share any progress I make.

• masterthelsatmasterthelsat Member
    82 karma

Hey @"Madeline L." I'm in the same boat as you. Got a 160 on the June LSAT and my PT average was high 160's. Studying for September retake and have to approach with an effective study plan. Good Luck!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Track your "stupid" mistakes closely. Turns out these are usually not so stupid, but rather are very deliberately set by the test writers. They only have so much in their bag of tricks though, and if you can learn to recognize them, they start becoming more and more obvious. As I read stims now, I can pretty much tell you exactly where they're planting traps and use that to accurately predict multiple wrong answer choices. Study those errors closely, categorize them, and you will learn to avoid them.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Track your "stupid" mistakes closely. Turns out these are usually not so stupid, but rather are very deliberately set by the test writers. They only have so much in their bag of tricks though, and if you can learn to recognize them, they start becoming more and more obvious. As I read stims now, I can pretty much tell you exactly where they're planting traps and use that to accurately predict multiple wrong answer choices. Study those errors closely, categorize them, and you will learn to avoid them.

I definitely think this mentality, though I haven't mastered it as well as you, is responsible for my jump from the low to mid 160s and above.

124 karma

Awesome! I will pay attention to them.
    Thank you so much!