Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disadvantage for applying to t14 schools with December LSAT score

PositivePositive Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Law School Admissions 426 karma

Hello All,

I was wondering if there are any disadvantages for applying to t6/14 schools with December LSAT score.
(I'm planning to complete the whole application by the date I receive Dec. lsat score on early Jan. think: Jan. 2~5)

My top choices are Harvard, Columbia,NYU, and Cornell.
(Y,S,Chi. all seem to have relatively smaller class sizes and I feel their admission policy is very unpredictable).

Thank you in advance for your comments : )

Comments

• theLSATgrind2017theLSATgrind2017 Alum Member
    440 karma

I don't think it's a disadvantage but it's not as advantageous as applying in September. I think the prevailing wisdom is that submitting before Thanksgiving means you're early and submitting around Christmas/New Years means you're on time. Still, a better score in September is more advantageous and an earlier application with a lower score, all else being equal.

• hon132hon132 Free Trial Member
    122 karma

They use your best score, it doesn't matter when you took the test as long as you send everything in by the due date. A test 5 years ago will have the same weight as the one in December. Those schools are picky but it won't be over the date of your LSAT score.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@hon132 said:
    They use your best score, it doesn't matter when you took the test as long as you send everything in by the due date. A test 5 years ago will have the same weight as the one in December. Those schools are picky but it won't be over the date of your LSAT score.

This is a bit misleading There are some good writings by Anna Ivey, Spivey, and admissions officers who do panels and answer questions like these. I think Fox also spoke on this way back.

While MOST* schools use your best score, they still don't just neglect your other scores. Y certainly doesn't just take the best score, for example. Multiple low scores can show poor judgement to take the test if you are "sick" -- a common excuse -- or perhaps just unprepared. Addenda for bad LSATs a rarely helpful unless you have a legitmate excuse. Perhaps a death in the family; a serious accident, etc.

Remember, while they only have to report the highest LSAT, the take into account whether you're likely to need 3 attempts at the bar exam. That would screw their rankings on bar passage rates and employment. A test 5 years ago will also likely not have the same weight as one in December. One was 5 years ago... so it is a little less relevant. That's probably why the cut off is 5 years and not infinity.

Also with the new unlimited LSAT take rule they might find taking before you're prepared even more ignorant. Because now that there will be LSAT offered 6 times a year, it makes you seem a little dim to take knowing there's another administration around the corner.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I think it might depend on your GPA as well. If you have a lower GPA, applying after the December test may not be the best strategy for T14.