Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it silly to work towards a high lsat to compensate for a really low gpa?

msoonfahmsoonfah Free Trial Member
in General 8 karma
Hi 7sagers,

A little bit of background. I have a 2.4 ugpa. Needless to say, my chances ride or die by my score on the LSAT. After working as a paralegal for two years, I loved it enough that I decided I would be willing to go to law school for full price.

Given my low gpa, my goal is to just go to a west coast school in the top 100, preferably Richardson at University of Hawaii where I'm from and want to practice. I got a 156 on my first LSAT and made a lot of progress prepping for December (was prepping in the high 160s over seven practice tests before the exam). After taking the December test though, my gut feeling is I scored in the low 160s. Not good enough.

While obviously I can't make a judgement until I actually see what I get, after taking the exam two times, the feeling is discouraging. Is it unrealistic to bank on a good LSAT to compensate for an exceedingly low gpa? Have any of the experienced posters seen it happen? Sometimes it feels like i'm trying to climb out of a really deep hole that nobody ever has before.

Comments

• mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    i think you should just go ahead and apply. get a good reference letter etc. these days the applications are way down and I think you've still got a good chance.
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    This is your law schools class profile

GPA: 25th Percentile 2.98, Median 3.37, 75th Percentile 3.63

LSAT: 25th Percentile 151, Median 155, 75th Percentile 158

Based on this, I think if you got in the 160s, it might be strong enough to get into this school. 25% of their students have a GPA lower than 3.0 and only 25% of their students score above 158 on the LSAT, so i don't see why you wouldn't have a chance to get in
  • apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    edited December 2015 696 karma
    Strongly disagree with the above comments. Take your time and consider the LSAT as your redemption. It's crazy that roughly 3 hours of taking the LSAT can count for at least 4 years of undergraduate. Because GPA is dependent on so many factors like your major, the school you went to, or other personal considerations, Law Schools are right in some ways to emphasize your LSAT score to be such a major factor. Plus, since you took a little time off from school to get real experience you can further remove yourself from whatever missteps you made academically. Writing an addendum might also mitigate the low GPA, depending on whatever your circumstances were, but you could make your case a lot stronger by showing a solid LSAT score.

I seriously think you're underestimating what a good score can do for you and your decision on whether you should take it again should have little to do with your GPA and everything to do with whether you think you can improve your score. That's the real question you should be asking yourself.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    I will answer your question with one sentence.

If you were to score a 180 the rest of your life would be forever changed.

Convinced?
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    @apublicdisplay I think we said the same thing, that a higher LSAT will definitely help. I didn't say be content with what you have, I said if you score higher you could probably get in.but maybe you weren't disagreeing with my comments lol
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Apply now and prep for June. You likely won't see much, if any, gains in February and your application would likely be held until that score was released anyways. If you don't get in then wait a year and take it when you're really ready, whether that's June or later next year. Also, don't apply to only one school as you should not go to law school for sticker because you want to but only if you have to. Apply to a handful of peer schools to get some negotiating leverage and write a concise GPA addendum.

Your LSAT is the number one factor for getting into law school so of course it isn't silly to put the time and effort into getting a higher score.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Your LSAT is the number one factor for getting into law school so of course it isn't silly to put the time and effort into getting a higher score.
    +1000 ... that's why we're all here!
  • bbutlerbbutler Inactive ⭐
    401 karma
    @msoonfah if there's one thing I've learned here it's that a lot of people have been in a similar situations where they didn't score what they wanted (myself included). With that being said I never think that spending time on an LSAT is "wasted" or "for nothing". Even if it is only a few points better that could mean the difference between getting in and getting a scholarship, which could be life changing. With your work experience and taking time to really master the LSAT I definitely believe you can overcome your GPA. We as a community are here to help and think of it this way the harder and longer the road to the top of the mountain, the better the view will be when you reach the top!
  • Chris127Chris127 Alum Member
    81 karma
    In my opinion, your low GPA is all the more reason to do well on the LSAT. That's what I would do.

Good luck!
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    nothing is silly except not shooting for a high LSAT
  • S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
    188 karma
    Why do you think we're all using 7sage? Just for fun? We want to do the best we can. We're all in this together.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Your goal is to ne an extream splitter. A high LSAT score can open doors you never thought possible!
  • sweetalison007sweetalison007 Free Trial Member
    48 karma

Get a 179 or at least 175+.

You wont get into T 14, but T 30-40 should be a possibility. If you are an URM chances are even better.

Just dont apply to T14, and you will be fine. All the best.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@sweetalison007 said:
    Get a 179 or at least 175+.

You wont get into T 14, but T 30-40 should be a possibility. If you are an URM chances are even better.

Just dont apply to T14, and you will be fine. All the best.

1. This thread is 2 years old. Solid necro lol
    2. You can still get into the T14 with that low of a GPA. People do it every cycle. If you had a 2.4, scored a 180, you will 100% get into at least one of the T14's.

Also, the longer you are out of UG the easier it is to accomplish an outcome in the T14. Say the applicant was 10 years out of UG and spent 10 years in an Armed Service. Think they're going to care about that GPA if they applied with a 175+? Nope.

Now, if said applicant DID get into the T14, scholarship money will likely be very slim or even nonexistent, but it is 100% false in saying you can't get into the T14 with a 2.4 gpa.

48 karma

Mellow_Z...

I am a regular lurker in LSN ( Law School Numbers) - and from what I have observed law schools forgive such GPAs only on two rare cases -

If major was on STEM.

If candidate was a Marine or Military.

Suppose a candidate has a low sub 3 - 2.3-2.8 GPA on subjects like Philosophy, History, Pol sc etc, and has quite a few years of exp like teaching, administration, marketing, business, academics etc - ( not military) then I don't know what chances they have for T30/40 schools. If they have 175+ LSAT some schools might consider them, but admission will be uphill.

And LSN lists LSADC GPA.

If your LSDAC GPA was low it can be mitigated by superior LSAT. But OP here has a low degree/major GPA. Low major/degree GPA means the LSDAC will rank it even low and getting into any T1 becomes uphill.

My only advice for those with low degree GPA and those who are non URM, non military etc - is to get 175+ LSAT and pray any T1 accepts them .

I myself am a non traditional, International aspirant - almost 5 years out of undergrad. Got a sub 3 ( WES calculation - 2.4 ish) degree GPA, so praying to score good on LSAT ( 175+) and get accepted at a decent law school. T1 is a long long shot for me according to LSN anyways. Most international applicants have great UG GPAs.

48 karma

But if OP has either a STEM degree, or has military service, then yes I agree he/she has a good chance at a T30 law school.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

This thread is 2 years old. I hope OP got into her dream school! we should do a thread where we reunite with all the 7Sagers from years back and see where they are now!

48 karma

I also hope OP got her dream school. She was well on her way to score a great LSAT. I sympathize with her more than anything. Worrying about low GPA, giving all to LSAT prep, fretting over getting waitlisted, super splitters have a lot to worry about :/

1997 karma

@sweetalison007 said:
    Mellow_Z...

I am a regular lurker in LSN ( Law School Numbers) - and from what I have observed law schools forgive such GPAs only on two rare cases -

If major was on STEM.

Suppose a candidate has a low sub 3 - 2.3-2.8 GPA on subjects like Philosophy, History, Pol sc etc, and has quite a few years of exp like teaching, administration, marketing, business, academics etc - ( not military) then I don't know what chances they have for T30/40 schools. If they have 175+ LSAT some schools might consider them, but admission will be uphill.

And LSN lists LSADC GPA.

If your LSDAC GPA was low it can be mitigated by superior LSAT. But OP here has a low degree/major GPA. Low major/degree GPA means the LSDAC will rank it even low and getting into any T1 becomes uphill.

My only advice for those with low degree GPA and those who are non URM, non military etc - is to get 175+ LSAT and pray any T1 accepts them .

I myself am a non traditional, International aspirant - almost 5 years out of undergrad. Got a sub 3 ( WES calculation - 2.4 ish) degree GPA, so praying to score good on LSAT ( 175+) and get accepted at a decent law school. T1 is a long long shot for me according to LSN anyways. Most international applicants have great UG GPAs.

Major doesn't matter as much as you emphasize it does. If you're a lurker on lsn you'll know that extreme splitters like this are super rare, and the cycles are largely predictable. With a few years of work experience and a story to tell displaying your personal and professional growth, I think any GPA can be outweighed by a 99th percentile LSAT.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@sweetalison007 said:
    Mellow_Z...

If major was on STEM.

And LSN lists LSADC GPA.

Major doesn't matter as much as you emphasize it does. If you're a lurker on lsn you'll know that extreme splitters like this are super rare, and the cycles are largely predictable. With a few years of work experience and a story to tell displaying your personal and professional growth, I think any GPA can be outweighed by a 99th percentile LSAT.

Any GPA? Idk about that? Rick Harrison voice from Pawn Stores "Best I can do is 2.0 GPA w/ 99%tile LSAT) haha

1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@sweetalison007 said:
    Mellow_Z...

If major was on STEM.

And LSN lists LSADC GPA.

Any GPA? Idk about that? Rick Harrison voice from Pawn Stores "Best I can do is 2.0 GPA w/ 99%tile LSAT) haha

Given enough work experience and years distances from it, I think so yeah. I won't go so far as saying you could get into Yale or stanny, but if you worked for 10 years and had a 2.0, got a 180 on the LSAT, I'd say you're in at NU and UVA

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@sweetalison007 said:
    Mellow_Z...

If major was on STEM.

And LSN lists LSADC GPA.

Given enough work experience and years distances from it, I think so yeah. I won't go so far as saying you could get into Yale or stanny, but if you worked for 10 years and had a 2.0, got a 180 on the LSAT, I'd say you're in at NU and UVA

Yeah, for sure. I'm thinking like a 1.9 GPA or something, haha. Then again, I don't think there's enough data out there of 1.9 GPA applicants with 180s. Haha, if any at all.

1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@sweetalison007 said:
    Mellow_Z...

If major was on STEM.

And LSN lists LSADC GPA.

Yeah, for sure. I'm thinking like a 1.9 GPA or something, haha. Then again, I don't think there's enough data out there of 1.9 GPA applicants with 180s. Haha, if any at all.

Yeah but once you're below their 25th percentile, what your actually gpa is doesn't really matter. If they're willing to take a 2.5, why not take a 1.5? Obviously that's an extreme example but both GPAs would impact their reported numbers the same. And I agree, even below 3.0 there isn't much data to seriously make any accurate conclusions on lol

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@sweetalison007 said:
    Mellow_Z...

If major was on STEM.

And LSN lists LSADC GPA.

Yeah but once you're below their 25th percentile, what your actually gpa is doesn't really matter. If they're willing to take a 2.5, why not take a 1.5? Obviously that's an extreme example but both GPAs would impact their reported numbers the same. And I agree, even below 3.0 there isn't much data to seriously make any accurate conclusions on lol

Just joking around man, lol. I get it, but once you're below their 25th%tile with a sub 2.0 I think they may, and rightly so, judge your academic abilities. Some people are just savants at taking tests. Even still, just thought it was a funny example, haha.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Stumbled upon this thread and had a GPA question: does anyone know ( @Mellow_Z @"Alex Divine" ) does your 'actual' GPA differ from the GPA LSAC calculates and why? Also where do I go to figure out what my GPA will calculate out as?

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Stumbled upon this thread and had a GPA question: does anyone know does your 'actual' GPA differ from the GPA LSAC calculates and why? Also where do I go to figure out what my GPA will calculate out as?

Your GPA can differ depending on how your school calculates + and -. It can also differ if you have punitive W's or NPs that weren't calculated into your school GPA. You can use the GPA calculator here https://7sage.com/gpa-calculator/

Disclaimer: It may not be exact, but it is usually in the ballpark

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Stumbled upon this thread and had a GPA question: does anyone know ( @Mellow_Z @"Alex Divine" ) does your 'actual' GPA differ from the GPA LSAC calculates and why? Also where do I go to figure out what my GPA will calculate out as?

Yes it can.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@Freddy_D said:

@tringo335 said:
    Stumbled upon this thread and had a GPA question: does anyone know does your 'actual' GPA differ from the GPA LSAC calculates and why? Also where do I go to figure out what my GPA will calculate out as?

Your GPA can differ depending on how your school calculates + and -. It can also differ if you have punitive W's or NPs that weren't calculated into your school GPA. You can use the GPA calculator here https://7sage.com/gpa-calculator/

Disclaimer: It may not be exact, but it is usually in the ballpark

Awesome. Thanks I'll check it out.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@tringo335 said:

Yes, your LSAC calculated is that is going to "count." The reason is because the LSAC try to equalize the discrepancies between schools grading systems as much as they can by having as close to a standard scale as possible.

1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

Yes, your LSAC calculated is that is going to "count." The reason is because the LSAC try to equalize the discrepancies between schools grading systems as much as they can by having as close to a standard scale as possible.

It also gets hairy if you did semesters abroad, or at different schools. Your UG GPA won't usually count the credits that you transferred or obtained abroad in your GPA calculation, but LSAC uses all of them.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

It also gets hairy if you did semesters abroad, or at different schools. Your UG GPA won't usually count the credits that you transferred or obtained abroad in your GPA calculation, but LSAC uses all of them.

Facts! Them LSAC boys are like the feds, haha. Went back to AP classes and college credits I took in high school in like 2010.

1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

Facts! Them LSAC boys are like the feds, haha. Went back to AP classes and college credits I took in high school in like 2010.

AP Classes count? That's news to me. Do you happen to know what happens if you didn't take the AP class but still got AP credit? (I took an honors calc because I'm lazy, but still passed the AP calc test and got college credit)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

AP Classes count? That's news to me. Do you happen to know what happens if you didn't take the AP class but still got AP credit? (I took an honors calc because I'm lazy, but still passed the AP calc test and got college credit)

Not sure if AP classes count as actual grades on your LSAC report, and I certainly don't know for sure in your case. It may very well depend on school to school. In my high school, we had AP classes through a community college via what was called a "bridge" program. So some of the classes weren't traditional AP classes taught in the high school, but were just college classes you'd take while still in high school. Graded on an A-E scale. Others were counted for credit, but I don't see a grade calculated anywhere on my transcript; just for the bridge courses taught at the actual community college.

So I was fortunate enough to enter into freshman year with a lot of the core courses they make you cover. That was certainly nice and allowed me to take a lighter course load and adjust to college life.

Incidentally, as a funny aside, a girl I was dating was taking this bridge class with me at the CC. It was on like Tuesdays and Thursdays. She began skipping and and eventually stopped going. And for like a week or two, I considered sort of doing the same. Eventually after a week of skipping, I decided to go back. It's really not a good story, but years later I think she was also interested in grad schools.... She must have really messed up her GPA unfortunately. After all, we were only 16 or 17 and I had no idea what the LSAC even was or that these grades would follow me.

I'm just blessed I didn't keep skipping with her, because when you're 17, have your own car, dating a girl, and have afternoons free --- well, going to the local community college for a math class isn't very tempting.

48 karma

Nope not at all silly. A high LSAT can indeed help you get into a decent school. There are plenty of people who got into good schools like WUSTL, IUB etc with a 173+ LSAT. Try to get a 175+.

48 karma

Mods, seems like I necro'd this post again by accident. Please delete my comment. Thank you.

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

Now really curious to see what became of OP

This discussion has been closed.