PT60.S3.Q10 - A ring of gas emitting X-rays flickering

akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
edited May 2018 in Logical Reasoning 9377 karma

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-60-section-3-question-10/

I got this one right almost instinctively (I didn't map this out), but I have a question about the phrase "can best be explained if" in the second sentence of the stimulus.
[Phenomenon] The rate is 450 times/second.
[Theory] The rate of 450 times/second can be best explained if the ring has a radius of 49km.

Assuming that the theory is correct, we can conclude that the ring has a radius of 49km.
To diagram [Theory] using Group 1 Translation:
・The ring of gas has a radius of 49km —> The rate of 450 times/second can best be explained
But is this correct way to diagram?
When I read this stimulus, I actually understood it as
・the rate of 450 times/second ---> the ring has a radius of 49km.
・The can ring maintain an orbit so close (49km) to a black hole —> the black hole was spinning

C: the black hole was spinning (Answer Choice (C))
Is my understanding correct? If so, how should we understand the phrase "can best be explained if"?

Let me know what you guys think :) Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Bumping this to the top.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma
  • sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

I haven't done PT 60 yet, but I just had a look on the question. I also got it right with intuition. Those physical words prevent me from understanding what it is talking about.

To diagram [Theory] using Group 1 Translation:
    ・The ring of gas has a radius of 49km —> The rate of 450 times/second can best be explained
    But is this correct way to diagram?
    When I read this stimulus, I actually understood it as
    ・The can ring maintain an orbit so close (49km) to a black hole —> the black hole was spinning

C: the black hole was spinning (Answer Choice (C))

I agree with your diagraming. Your understanding when you read the stimulus is based on the assumption that the theory is right, which is asked by the question stem. However, your diagram using group 1 translation is not based on that assumption. I believe that is where the difference comes from.

Is my understanding correct? If so, how should we understand the phrase "can best be explained if"?

I think the phrase actually means "if the theory is right". If a theory cannot explain a phenomenon that is in its scope, the theory is seriously challenged.

Hope this helps! :blush:

• Laabradir33Laabradir33 Alum Member
    161 karma

the phrase "can best be explained" = "only explanation". Therefore, making your diagram above correct.
    If we don’t make this faulty assumption, I don’t even think we can get to the correct answer lol…..

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Thank you @sjiang666 and @asdf1234 !!