Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How should I be studying?

brandongill1brandongill1 Member
in General 6 karma

After getting my June score back a 158 (3rd try) and once again getting way below my PT averages (162-164) has left me questioning what I should do. I know for sure that I am better than what I scored on the exam, as every single one of my PTs leading up to that exam was significantly better than what I got on the actual exam. All of them taken in test-like conditions under strict timing. After taking a couple weeks to decompress I have decided that I want to try for it again in September. But I am looking to change up how I study, and a lot people that I have talked to have told me to try 7sage, as I am not the typical case going into this, I was wondering what your guy's opinions were, how I should be studying, how much I should be studying, and if 7sage is the proper channel for me to use.
For reference my June test I scored in each section compared to my averages on my PTs

RC -9/ Average on my PTs was -5 to -7

LR -16 /Average was -10 to -12- LR was actually going quite well but the second section I got the final 7 questions in a row wrong which significantly brought down my average.
LG -4 /Average was -0 to -2

Comments

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@brandongill1 said:
    After getting my June score back a 158 (3rd try) and once again getting way below my PT averages (162-164) has left me questioning what I should do. I know for sure that I am better than what I scored on the exam, as every single one of my PTs leading up to that exam was significantly better than what I got on the actual exam. All of them taken in test-like conditions under strict timing. After taking a couple weeks to decompress I have decided that I want to try for it again in September. But I am looking to change up how I study, and a lot people that I have talked to have told me to try 7sage, as I am not the typical case going into this, I was wondering what your guy's opinions were, how I should be studying, how much I should be studying, and if 7sage is the proper channel for me to use.
    For reference my June test I scored in each section compared to my averages on my PTs

LR -16 /Average was -10 to -12- LR was actually going quite well but the second section I got the final 7 questions in a row wrong which significantly brought down my average.

I can offer some advice as to what I would do if I were in your position but just a forewarning that I am yet to take my 1st attempt so take this with a grain of salt.

I would take a look at The LSAT Trainer if you haven't already to try and get your RC to a better place. The Memory Method is similar to the method that the Trainer teaches but for some reason, the Trainer method clicked more with me.

As for LR, I find benefit from doing individual drilled sections of LR. I don't really understand the point of untimed sections. After doing individual sections, I spend some time on BR and keep a spreadsheet keeping track of the question types that I'm struggling with.

When it comes to LG, it really comes down to repetition for me. I am almost completed with the fool proofing method and expect to continue doing that same method even as I start to PT. From what I've read, the mastery comes with repetition and exposure to the patterns/similarities of games.

Best of luck!

• nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
    458 karma

I can empathize with you as I have taken the LSAT twice already, under performing both times. I decided to try 7sage after book studying for the previous two tests to try to do something different because book studying was not working for me. Definitely the best thing I've done for my studies. I definitely had the mindset that I thought I had a pretty solid foundation on the tests as a whole being able to know what kind of question, for example a main point question being different from a weaken question or how to properly diagram LG, so I felt as if I was already a bit ahead of the curve. I was hilariously wrong about that when I started to work my way through the CC. The CC is made to teach you the questions from the ground up with so many in depth videos on how to attack the questions. I would say working though the CC would probably be the absolute best thing for you which would most likely mean you postponing till December. I think you have a good understanding of the fundamentals but I think going through the CC will absolutely make you rock solid. Also, foolproofing LG 1-35 is probably the next most important thing to do (I foolproofed 1-35 concurrently with doing the CC lessons). It will definitely get you to -0 since you seem to be pretty solid on LG already. And of course, who could forget Blind Review? Doing extensive BR will help you bridge the gaps in your PTs. There are a plethora of posts on the importance of BR so I wont belabor the point, just that BR is really the absolute KEY on improving your score. I don't know your exact situation so maybe September is the only time you can take the test, but if not, I really recommend working your way through the CC to learn the test from the ground up.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@brandongill1 said:

What was your diagnostic?

If you haven't tried 7Sage just read the reviews. 5 Stars and the ONLY LSAT prep company with anywhere close. It's hard to find anything negative about 7Sage online. Anything. I think TLS once said they didn't like us because we were too nice and supportive.

That said, you get a free trial and if it's not for you, then, well you get a refund.

I think it makes the most sense to try the 7Sage core curriculum (CC) thats rated so highly and go through it. If you just go through it, do the problem sets, drills, and put the work in .... Well, there is not a single doubt in my mind you can score whatever score you choose.

Specifically, go through the core curriculum (CC), and then begin PT'ing, doing blind review and doing drills and timed sections to improve between those PTs.

The community will be here to help you every step of the way.

I think LR would be VERY good for your LR score. It seems like you're missing a lot of points there. 7Sage does a very good job at explaining the underlying logic in a simple and intuitive way that makes LR much easier to master.

If you have any more specific question feel free to ask!

I think there's a reason so many people recommend 7Sage...... ;)

• brandongill1brandongill1 Member
    6 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

What was your diagnostic?

If you haven't tried 7Sage just read the reviews. 5 Stars and the ONLY LSAT prep company with anywhere close. It's hard to find anything negative about 7Sage online. Anything. I think TLS once said they didn't like us because we were too nice and supportive.

That said, you get a free trial and if it's not for you, then, well you get a refund.

I think it makes the most sense to try the 7Sage core curriculum (CC) thats rated so highly and go through it. If you just go through it, do the problem sets, drills, and put the work in .... Well, there is not a single doubt in my mind you can score whatever score you choose.

Specifically, go through the core curriculum (CC), and then begin PT'ing, doing blind review and doing drills and timed sections to improve between those PTs.

The community will be here to help you every step of the way.

I think LR would be VERY good for your LR score. It seems like you're missing a lot of points there. 7Sage does a very good job at explaining the underlying logic in a simple and intuitive way that makes LR much easier to master.

If you have any more specific question feel free to ask!

I think there's a reason so many people recommend 7Sage...... ;)

My Diagnostic was a 148. But My PTs averaged between 160-164, that's why I am a little miffed at what I should be doing, as I was scoring great in my practice. I know there are a few packages of 7sage, was wondering what you would recommend? I am aiming for September and a 162 is the minimum I am hoping to score on the exam.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think if you're aiming for September, the Starter pack might be best to start with. After going through the CC and doing the drills, if you want to upgrade you can. The Ultimate + contains things you may want to utilize like the question bank (4000+ question sorted by type/difficultly), LR and LG drill packets, and medium and difficult level problem sets, just to name a few things.

However, my concern is that if you are aiming for September, start small and see what progress you make with the CC, because that is the same for every package.

If you can afford to though, go with the Ult+ off the rip. This will give you immediate access to every tests PT 1-80, all the drill bundles, and tons and tons of problem sets with solutions to everything. So if you feel like you can a) afford this package and b) can use a bunch of drilling practice and access to printable drill materials and tests and then just go with it.

Again, if not, don't sweat it. You can upgrade for the difference at anytime and you do only have until September (at least for now) You may decide you can make tons more progress if you give yourself until December.

there's no doubt in my mind you can hit a 162 in September if you do things right. Things like doing tons of timed sections with BR, practice tests, and fool proofing all of the games you can get your hands on!

You're almost there and your goal is below your BR score. So that means you're doing pretty well.

p.s. check out all the free webinars under the "Discussion" tab.

Let me know if you need anything else or have any other questions.