Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Focus Advice

tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member

So after I'm done drilling I go through every question and I write down what went wrong. My list includes: did not see the definition presented in argument clearly, did not focus clearly, did not read the stimulus thoroughly". The question types are not my problem, it feels like I'm just not understanding what the question is saying under timed conditions. It's like the questions become alphabet soup. Untimed, I can correctly identify the right answer and I understand what the question stem is asking me.

Can anyone help give me tips on how I can hone in on the stimulus more and stop making these stupid mistakes?

Comments

• nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
    458 karma

The more exposure you have with a question type, the better you will be at answering that kind of question. You'll be able to identify the premise and conclusion easier and faster and be able to identify the argument. I think reviewing the foundational lesson that JY has for every question type would definitely help and watching him deconstruct the stimulus and answer choices for several questions. The more you watch JY do it, the better habits you'll pick up and apply to your own studies.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@nicholasthomas127 said:
    The more exposure you have with a question type, the better you will be at answering that kind of question. You'll be able to identify the premise and conclusion easier and faster and be able to identify the argument. I think reviewing the foundational lesson that JY has for every question type would definitely help and watching him deconstruct the stimulus and answer choices for several questions. The more you watch JY do it, the better habits you'll pick up and apply to your own studies.

I certainly agree with this.

Make sure you add not understanding conditional logic and open your mind up to some more errors you may be making.

Also, make sure you are approaching every question with the same process. Read the Q stem, identify the task, zero in on the argument core, and do your thing.

Now you are saying you are saying you particularly don't understand what the question is saying in the stimulus?