Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Core Curriculum Study Buddy

Waiting For Grey DayWaiting For Grey Day Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Study Groups 323 karma

Hi, I am looking for a study buddy that would like to talk overall strategy and daily insights working on the core curriculum.

I am not completely new to the lsats, I have done a complete package of Power score and Blueprint (for 3 months) but my first official lsat take was a fiasco. Thanks to some digging on Reddit, I found 7Sage and his holiness, J.Y, and am turning over a new leaf. Instead of focusing on getting to the PT stage asap (which, I have previously done and miserably failed) or just trying to memorize mechanical skills, I am really trying to change the way I think with the materials in CC. So I am taking my time absorbing the lessons, taking notes, and intensively BRing with the drill sets. Recently, I found myself coming up with different methods and ways of thinking that I would love to share with a buddy and would love to have someone that could keep me accountable.

If you could use an insistent and eager study buddy for your CC journey, PM me!

FYI: I am currently finishing up the Intro to Reading Comprehension section, am in the EST zone and is open to meeting online.

Which platform do you prefer?
  1. Which platform do you prefer?13 votes
    1. Go To Meeting
      38.46%
    2. Discord
      15.38%
    3. Google Hangout
      46.15%

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I'm certainly down to exchange info and see if we can possibly review some stuff, or chat about the CC a few times a week. My issue is an upredictable work schedule, but I'm usually free afternoons during my lunch (2:30pm-4pm) and after work around 8:30 or 9pm EST.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I am interested! I'll message you :)

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

Hi there, I am just a few lessons ahead (70% in CC) and am interested. I will also PM.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Sounds like a cool lil group we got starting here ;)

• Waiting For Grey DayWaiting For Grey Day Alum Member
    323 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I'm certainly down to exchange info and see if we can possibly review some stuff, or chat about the CC a few times a week. My issue is an upredictable work schedule, but I'm usually free afternoons during my lunch (2:30pm-4pm) and after work around 8:30 or 9pm EST.

Hi Alex! I am studying full-time so we can definitely work around your schedule!
    How far are you on your CC?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Color Me Grey" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Hi Alex! I am studying full-time so we can definitely work around your schedule!
    How far are you on your CC?

I'm basically done. There's no lessons I haven't done, yet, there certainly are ones I'll need to review. lol

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

I'm interested! Count me in with the above people!

323 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thats even better. If you are in the review stage, I assume you have more lightbulb moments. I would love to hear your thoughts/advice on certain types of questions. I will PM you for more questions!

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

Count me in! I am just half way through reading comprehension.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Color Me Grey" said:
    @"Alex Divine" Thats even better. If you are in the review stage, I assume you have more lightbulb moments. I would love to hear your thoughts/advice on certain types of questions. I will PM you for more questions!

Sounds like a plan. I'm usually always available via email or PM on here. My only issue is that, as I previously stated, scheduling exact times for me can be an issue. Though, luckily with the magic of the interwebz, communication is easier than ever!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I've only taken a 2 PTs, but just to give you an idea of where I'm at I took my diagnostic June07 156 and PT62 and scored a 163, so I'm not by any means an LSAT god, but I know the basics and would love to help anyone with fundamentals and to at least get to where I am.

I still need to fool proof the games bundle and find some time to put the consistency in. No doubt when I go beast mode I'm going to 180 this test. No question.

323 karma

@"Alex Divine" I have no doubt you will! :smiley: I have also yet to fool proof but with J.Y's explanations (and sense of humor) I am starting to really enjoy LR and RC more and more. Hopefully, with a partner to keep me accountable and encouraged, Lsat will become less of a burden.

As @jackigoe mentioned in a PM, I think all those who responded to this thread can benefit from one another. I opened up a discord group for us:

https://discord.gg/k2U8ev6

If you want discuss overall CC strategy or clarify some concepts in CC, I think this group can be a good starting point. I will be available all day, since I have the desktop version that just allows me to see messages instantly and also... I have nothing else better to do :sweat_smile:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Color Me Grey" said:
    @"Alex Divine" I have no doubt you will! :smiley: I have also yet to fool proof but with J.Y's explanations (and sense of humor) I am starting to really enjoy LR and RC more and more. Hopefully, with a partner to keep me accountable and encouraged, Lsat will become less of a burden.

As @jackigoe mentioned in a PM, I think all those who responded to this thread can benefit from one another. I opened up a discord group for us:

https://discord.gg/k2U8ev6

If you want discuss overall CC strategy or clarify some concepts in CC, I think this group can be a good starting point. I will be available all day, since I have the desktop version that just allows me to see messages instantly and also... I have nothing else better to do :sweat_smile:

Same! LOL and nice I'll join in!

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    260 karma

I'm interested! Count me in!

• Positive-1Positive-1 Live Member
    984 karma

I'm interested! Count me in with the above people!

• AndWhyisBwrongAndWhyisBwrong Alum Member
    92 karma

I too, am interested, also studying full-time. Count me in, I'm proudly moving at a snail's pace to ensure I try to do this thing right but would love to be included to provide and receive motivation and accountability in a group setting! Good idea!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@AndWhyisBwrong said:
    I too, am interested, also studying full-time. Count me in, I'm proudly moving at a snail's pace to ensure I try to do this thing right but would love to be included to provide and receive motivation and accountability in a group setting! Good idea!

Same situation as far as a snail's pace -- or so what it seems like. I try to do at least something everyday. Some days a few hours somedays a section on my lunch break and review after I get home. I think it's nice to just have a small group to motivate you and chat about certain things with.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Suggestion: I use Discord for a lot of other non-LSAT related stuff. Also 7Sage no longer endorses or uses Discord anymore I read as of June 15th, 2017. So I wonder whether this could be an issue?

Is there a way we could possible use Google hangouts or Go to Meetings to run these chats? Just a suggestion?

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Suggestion: I use Discord for a lot of other non-LSAT related stuff. Also 7Sage no longer endorses or uses Discord anymore I read as of June 15th, 2017. So I wonder whether this could be an issue?

Is there a way we could possible use Google hangouts or Go to Meetings to run these chats? Just a suggestion?

I would be set to use either. I'm not familiar with Google hangouts but assume it's similar to Go to Meetings.

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

I'd be interested in joining as well.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jackigoe said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I would be set to use either. I'm not familiar with Google hangouts but assume it's similar to Go to Meetings.

Either one is fine. Go to meeting is probably better and more convenient. Discord has had a lot of issues lately. Thanks for considering!

323 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

I had no idea Discord was having issues. If Discord is too much of a hassle for everyone, I think its better to set a platform before we start discussing CC strategy in detail. I've uploaded a poll on an edit version of this thread. Hopefully, we can reach a consensus about which platform you all prefer.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

We can use Wechat .

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dennisgerrard said:
    We can use Wechat .

WeChat is also really amazing, especially free for international callers.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Color Me Grey" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I had no idea Discord was having issues. If Discord is too much of a hassle for everyone, I think its better to set a platform before we start discussing CC strategy in detail. I've uploaded a poll on an edit version of this thread. Hopefully, we can reach a consensus about which platform you all prefer.

Yeah, it's been glitchy and buggy for the past 2 weeks for me and all my groups on there. I use it mostly for gaming, but it's been nothing but issues for other peeps too.

1644 karma

You can download WeChat on mac,iPhone,iPad.free and convenient!

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited July 2017 12637 karma

Haven't had any issues with Discord in the past few weeks (other than a brief 5min downtime). They're generally quick to react. Sounds like you might need to reinstall, @"Alex Divine"

But what Alex was referring to re: 7Sage using Discord is that we had an "official" 7Sage Discord for a while that I had created. Some personal issues with the server crept up so the server was removed. There are still study groups and other user-created Discord groups floating around so don't stop using it just because 7Sage doesn't have an official server anymore!

323 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" Thanks for the clarification!

260 karma

I have used Google Hangout, GoToMeeting, and Skype. Recently tried WeChat and it was fine as well.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

The issue I see with using GoToMeeting:
    * It is a paid model. Unless you use 7sages, which is often hard to find availability, and not everyone can host it. (would have to run that by Dillon/JY/etc)

I think Discord is awesome, personally. It seems like we have about 19 different one off chat channels all used for different things - might be worth while trying to consolidate the different links into a single one and create channels for each group (ex, study groups, BR groups, review groups, etc) so it's easier to manage everything? I think you'd also get more contribution this way since people can just wander into the channel and see if anything is going on.

I'd be interested in participating in this review though! Sounds like a good idea to keep fresh on various skills. I'm available evenings Mon-Thurs (5pm est and later) and basically any time during the weekends and Friday.

323 karma

@Mellow_Z I just saw that they require subscription fees...which was unexpected :sweat_smile:

Brilliant idea for having separate text/voice channels for each purpose. It will be more efficient for those who are looking to participate in a specific discussion/advice.

But mostly, its great to hear that you will be joining us! :smiley:

1644 karma

@"Color Me Grey" Let's use WeChat:)

260 karma

Are we going with WeChat?

260 karma

@"Color Me Grey" @"Alex Divine" @Mellow_Z
    We've been communicating through @"Color Me Grey"'s thread at Discord.

So far, we've looked at ways to accommodate everyone's needs so that we all feel supported no matter where we are in the CC.

I like the idea of creating a schedule.

1. We can list the topics from the CC that we want to review and the select sections of PT 1-35 we want to cover for each session.

2. Once we have a schedule, we can decide how we'll run each session.

@Mellow @"Color Me Grey" @"Alex Divine" You guys are super great at organizing. So, what do you think???

260 karma

@dfletch5 said:

So far, we've looked at ways to accommodate everyone's needs so that we all feel supported no matter where we are in the CC.

1. We can list the topics from the CC that we want to review and the select sections of PT 1-35 we want to cover for each session.

@Mellow_Z @"Color Me Grey" @"Alex Divine" You guys are super great at organizing. So, what do you think???

@Mellow_Z
    So, what do you think???

1997 karma

@dfletch5 said:

@dfletch5 said:

@Mellow_Z @"Color Me Grey" @"Alex Divine" You guys are super great at organizing. So, what do you think???

@Mellow_Z
    So, what do you think???

Sounds good to me. I don't know how we would want to kick things off.. it doesn't make sense to just follow the CC chapters because a lot of it likely won't need reviewed. Do we want to focus predominantly on LR? If so, maybe we take a poll or get a feel for those likely to participate and contribute, to see which topics rank highest priority in terms of "needs addressing"? It would also likely be advantageous to figure out a rough schedule as far as day of the week and timing. I wouldn't want to get people going, only to rip it away because we schedule something that's impossible to commit to.

Just my .02. I like it so far though!

260 karma

@Mellow_Z Get your point. I think taking a poll of the topics that are a struggle for everyone might be our best bet. Some topics overlap between LR and RC and may even surface in LG. So, a topic focus may be interesting -:)

1997 karma

@dfletch5 said:
    @Mellow_Z Get your point. I think taking a poll of the topics that are a struggle for everyone might be our best bet. Some topics overlap between LR and RC and may even surface in LG. So, a topic focus may be interesting -:)

We could definitely do LG. But I think it's often difficult to do study groups with that as a focus. 1. JY's videos basically say everything you need to know about them, and 2. You burn through material very quickly. I wouldn't be opposed to doing some LG stuff though, we could work towards foolproofing LG's and then reviewing together? Not sure.

Did you guys decide on discord or some other site/software?

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

@Mellow_Z Discord for CC study/individual questions and Google Hangouts for BR. Go To Meeting is out because of subscription fees.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Hey, is anyone kind of new here and wanting CC study buddies/accountability partners? Thought I'd revive this thread.

• ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
    267 karma

I just started CC...I'm currently at about 4% in. Similar to original poster experimented with other stuff in the past...taken significant amount of time away from studying LSAT. Love the idea of the post...definitely interested.

5249 karma

@ML_LSAT_Killa, Hi, Looks like we're in similar timeframes. What test dates are you thinking about?

• ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
    267 karma

@lsatplaylist as of right now I am thinking about June as a tentative target...I would really love to take it sooner, but I think that to maximize my score it will take me at least that long. I know I want to get through the CC with a solid understanding, and then have a period working with 1-35 where I develop good habits in each of the sections, and then a period to take PTs (I am thinking at least 20 of them).

5249 karma

@ML_LSAT_Killa, This is very similar to my likely timeline and goals. I'm probably going to upgrade after I finish the CC as well, which means we'll probably have the same materials. I find it really helps to have another person to help the other one stay with this process and talk about our understanding.