Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLEASEEEE Help with RC

So I feel like when I read the passage I have a good idea about what is going on and how it pertains to the structure but I am consistently missing three questions per passage( I spend about 9-11 mins on each passage) and Ive used the memory method and Ive watched the hammer time video so Im at a loss for what else to do other than just practice on more passages, does anyone have any advice? or what they did to improve their score? THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

When you do the passages completely untimed, such as during BR, what are your results? Interested to know so I can better diagnose what may be the issue.

• saul.j.slowiksaul.j.slowik Alum Member
    54 karma

What types of question are you missing? Are they the same kind? IE, are you consistently missing inference questions, main point, etc?

The best way to improve RC, at least for me, is to keep reading. Honestly, I've been reading everything with a critical eye lately, and it's helped me. I usually vary from -0 on a passage to -1 or -2 due to a stupid mistake.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

To add to the above, what helped me most with RC was that I quickly realized it needed to be read completely differently than, say, a novel. That's obvious; yes our brains can't just be switched on and off at our own will to read a certain way. Practice is ultimately going to help, but you need to do sections with goals in mind.

Personally, RC is the one section that I think doing untimed until from time to time is ok. As I always say, ultimately we have to get good at taking a 5 section LSAT. But, still, if you're having specific problems try your best to isolate them and reach out for help.

It may be specific questions or likely how you're reading the passage. Reading for structure is a term that gets thrown around a lot as some panacea for mastering RC. It's so much more than that.... Actively reading, anticipating what's coming next, and always trying to connect to dots.

Every thing in the passage is there for a reason. Try your best to fit in that sentence, paragraph or data point into your view of the passage.

Lastly, something I've noticed that that when they ask for author viewpoint or opinion on something it usually can be cited from one or two sentences, This is random, but I used to think I had to synthesize the main points or the paragraph and do much more than necessary to answer these certain questions. In sum, there's are a lot of little things that make getting better at RC very doable.

The memory method when applied correctly I believe is superior. Just because it is essentially about reading and answering what you remember. RC doesn't get more straight forward than that :)

Good luck

• rogersalexandra7rogersalexandra7 Alum Member
    213 karma

@saul.j.slowik Im missing questions like inference, Im not sure what the general name is for this type of question but its what would the author recommend or most likely agree with

213 karma

@Alex Divine Im still missing about 1 to 2 when I BR and Ill try a couple untimed again and see what I get. Thanks for the advice!!

• theLSATgrind2017theLSATgrind2017 Alum Member
    440 karma

Have you tried attending the RC group on Thursdays? I find the insight and practice to be incredibly helpful.

• Raphael RiveraRaphael Rivera Alum Member
    176 karma

What I did is a little different: I read passages slowly and carefully untimed and did not read the questions until welllllll after. I read sentence by sentence and would do an insane amount of writing and highlighting to the point that it was almost unreadable but I made sure that I knew every words role, every tone change, every perspective change, every paragraph change, the role of each paragraph, how the sentences built to the conclusions, etc. Only after an intense review did I look at the questions. I went through them slowly and immediately after choosing my answer I would look at the right answer and learn what I missed or how I got it right. I probably spent more than 30 minutes on each passage I did this way.

Doing this helped me identify key changes in tone and perspective or identify the parts of the passage and how they interacted with other parts faster and with more accuracy during drills and PTs. Practicing made it possible to write less on the passage and map it in my mind; I was also able to guess possible questions and correct answers better.

I would not do the intense review during a PT or during drills, I would also not write an insane amount on actual passages. This just helped me train. It worked for me (consistently got -0 or -1 on the entire RC section for weeks after until my actual LSAT where I got -1). It might not work for many people or you but if you think it might I would suggest giving it a try.

• Raphael RiveraRaphael Rivera Alum Member
    176 karma

And I did this for only about 10 passages in total during my studies

• nishanik15nishanik15 Alum Member
    87 karma

@"Raphael Rivera" that's a really interesting take on it! Can't say I've heard it be done quite like that before. I am curious though - how many Qs were you missing on average before you used that strategy intense review before looking at Qs? RC is definitely my worst section and I'm averaging around -5 to -7 but would like to get it down to -2 or 3 by the September test. I usually BR at that level so I guess I'm wondering if that strategy helped you to be quicker at identifying passage structure and argumentation and all that good stuff?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Recently, with little prep I've been able to get my RC down to -2 or so. I use what is called the Memory Method (7Sage, reading for structure) but I also utilize this theory called LOCI. I swear I can kill most passages with this theory. It takes practice, but you're essentially using your memory and associating them with locations .... It's hard to explain, goes back to the Greeks, but it works! A pre- med student taught it to me and it's helped me with everything I needed to remember.

If you PM I'll happy to explain it it in detail. One of these days when I have more than 5 seconds to answer a comment, I would love to do a webinar/write an article on it. It took me from -8 to -2/-0 with about a month of practice. Theory of LOCI . Check it out!

• poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma

>

Lastly, something I've noticed that that when they ask for author viewpoint or opinion on something it usually can be cited from one or two sentences, This is random, but I used to think I had to synthesize the main points or the paragraph and do much more than necessary to answer these certain questions. In sum, there's are a lot of little things that make getting better at RC very doable.

Really interesting that you point that out! I'm really trying to work on my RC and notice that I often miss the inference (author would most likely agree with) questions. Do you think you can provide a little bit more insight into how you approach these? And some of those 'little things' that helped you improve your RC?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@poohbear said:

>

Really interesting that you point that out! I'm really trying to work on my RC and notice that I often miss the inference (author would most likely agree with) questions. Do you think you can provide a little bit more insight into how you approach these? And some of those 'little things' that helped you improve your RC?

Yeah, man. My inbox has been flooded with questions about the LOCI method I mentioned and this break through I've had with reading comprehension. I want to host some sort of Discord discussion about it or something because I definitely don't have the 45 minutes it would take me to explain the break through and all the details along with it.

However, first, to answer your question. Author's inference questions: I make sure I first have a very good big picture idea of what the author's talking about and how he feels about the passage. Then, most importantly, I begin an aggressive process of elimination if the answer doesn't pop out to me -- work from wrong to right always.

Next, if these author's inference questions constantly give you a problem as they do me -- skip them! They are a trap and a time sink! I'd rather miss all the author's inference questions and come out -4 than sink time into them, miss half of em' AND miss 2-3 more due to timing problems. This is a lot of people's reason for getting those -9 and -10 RC scores. Not skipping in RC.

Re: Little things that helped me improve on RC. Like I said, theory of LOCI/memory method. And also I think reading for structure gets thrown around a lot, but I have a feeling people aren't fully grasping it.

That's just conjecture, though. I guess one thing that you can start doing right now is making yourself pay attention and be interested in the passage. Yes, the passage is on mandala sand art in the middle east.... Cool. I'd rather be watching Amy Schumer's new comedy special with my worst enemy....

Still, you have to force yourself to be interested. One of the biggest ways the LSAC beats you in RC is by giving you horribly written, uninteresting, hard to follow, passages. I play a game with myself where it's me against the LSAC. I have to pay attention to win. When you think how small the passage really is compared to larger text we read in college, it's a joke. A few paragraphs.... Easy. Stay actively reading always asking why and what's coming next.

I don't think any of my ideas about the RC section are novel or new, but I hope they do help somewhat.

I really need to set something up to talk about how the Theory of LOCI changed my RC score and helped me immensely. While not a panacea, when used with other techniques, it has really done wonders! It's actually not so different from the memory method and would consider it in the same family of strategies.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

• poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    496 karma

Ah I see. Thanks for your response @"Alex Divine" ! And I would love for you to make some kind of webinar/ discord discussion about this-- I would definitely be there :)

213 karma

@theLSATgrind2017 I haven't but I will this Thursday. Thank you!

213 karma

@ Raphael Rivera Ill try this! Thank you so much!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@poohbear said:
    Ah I see. Thanks for your response @"Alex Divine" ! And I would love for you to make some kind of webinar/ discord discussion about this-- I would definitely be there :)

Sure thing! I PM'd a bunch of the people back in a group message. Hopefully everybody got the message. I'm flexible so I'm sure we can all work it out... :)

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

I was consistentlty getting the author most likely agrees questions wrong due to my approach. I was looking for an answer choice that seemed likely to be true instead of having the mindset of this more or less must be true. Once I switched my approach it clearly helped to see which were wrong answer choices and which one was correct.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I made a discord channel so I could discuss how I use the Method of LOCI people have been asking about. I sent out some links via PM to about 10 people. Whoever else is interested here is the invite link: https://discord.gg/kpGkYx6

Let me know if it works for you. I'm usually always active throughout the day, as my phone app will let me know if anyone should mention me or enter the channel.

Hope to see and talk to some of you guys there :)

• sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

Hi @"Alex Divine" i am interested in the LOCI theory! I clicked the link above and it seems like the meeting is finished? Not sure about how discord works...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hey man, I did a few sessions yesterday. I am busy today, but I'll be on at some point tomorrow in the late afternoon or evening depending on my schedule.

Click the link (should still be active) and when I'm on I'll PM you or something and explain in greater detail how to use Discord and we can review the Method of Loci.

• leannasamsonleannasamson Alum Member
    88 karma

Hi @"Alex Divine" I'd be interested in your next session on this as well!

• nishanik15nishanik15 Alum Member
    87 karma

@"Alex Divine" please PM me when you're doing the next session! Thanks :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@nishanik15 said:
    @"Alex Divine" please PM me when you're doing the next session! Thanks :)

I will do!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@leannasamson said:
    Hi @"Alex Divine" I'd be interested in your next session on this as well!

Absolutely! I'm hoping to find a time that works for everyone. Like I said, if I have to do multiple sessions again, it's not a big problem. Eventually when I have some time and motivation, I'll sit down and write out a longer explanation of how I use it and go into more detail. The challenge is it is difficult to write about because it is such an abstract and nebulous application process, and easier to verbalize and go through a passage in real time. The actual Method of Loci you guys can easily look up.

It's really not all that different from JY's Memory Method, as I've said, I just use my memory a bit differently, lol.

I'll PM everyone who asked next time I'm going to be on Discord though!