Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do if you do not understand the stimulus?

mzoodlemzoodle Member
in General 226 karma

So, any tips on what to do if you don't even understand the stimuli? Obviously, this will make it hard to answer the question.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

You skip it and come back to it on the second round.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Sami said:

Basically. I mean, try again. There's nothing else you can do except maybe give it a quick once over again, make sure you didn't misread something or mis understand the argument, then, as @sami says, skip it and come back with a clear set of eyes.

10774 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Sami said:

Basically. I mean, try again. There's nothing else you can do except maybe give it a quick once over again, make sure you didn't misread something or mis understand the argument, then, as @sami says, skip it and come back with a clear set of eyes.

I disagree, when you do not understand a stimulus you could have, like Alex said, misread or misunderstood the argument or not know the argument form. You need to skip it immediately. Otherwise you will get bogged down and the likelihood of you catching the mistake right away is very low. Giving it time and doing it again later with a fresh pair of eyes on your second round puts you in a better position to understand it.

• mzoodlemzoodle Member
    226 karma

skip it? on an exam you should skip it ? I don't understand

10774 karma

Yup. You skip that question on the exam and you do other ones. When you are done with all the questions on that section you can come back to this question to try again.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@Sami said:
    Yup. You skip that question on the exam and you do other ones. When you are done with all the questions on that section you can come back to this question to try again.

I disagree that it isn't worth a second quick once over, at least for some questions. Sometimes we misread a simple word, phrase, or just subvocalize something hard to pronounce in our head that takes a second glance.

I think depending on the question it's worth giving it another read. If it's a long paragraph parallel reasoning questions, skipping makes sense. If it's a once sentence SA question and you just need a second go at it, I don't see why not give it the 10 seconds.

ETA: All in all, though, Sami is right. It's better to skip when it doubt. Better to get the low hanging fruit and come back with a fresh perspective almost every time. Even if you are having the minor problems I mentioned above, it's probably better to not sacrifice pace and just skip it and come back. Sami is amazing at LR. She knows her stuff and I'm always looking to improve. And she's helped me do that.

• mzoodlemzoodle Member
    226 karma

Alex Divine, how has she helped you improve?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited July 2017 9372 karma

@Sami said:

Yes. As the LR master @Sami says, you have to skip! :) You can't answer questions without understanding stimuli.

I recommend this webinar:

Skip it! Skipping Strategies Panel
    February 16, 2016
    One of the hottest topics around, this all-start panel will explores each of our methodologies for skipping questions. Participants include JY Ping, Jimmy Dahroug, Corey Janson, and Allison Gill Sanford.
    https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@mzoodle said:
    Alex Divine, how has she helped you improve?

She took me under her wing when I first began prepping last fall. Supported me and helped me to understand a lot of the technical approaches to LR especially. Sami not only helped me with LSAT strategies, but also just mental and emotional issues while dealing with this test.

She's going to make an amazing sage and is an amazing LR instructor. Same wth RC. She, at least in my estimation, has a naturally very analytical brain. So she sees the questions very much structurally, and taught me not to get caught up in useless details. She has a great BR method that helped me break into the 160s.

• mzoodlemzoodle Member
    226 karma

Good for you, Alex!

I am happy to see such a kind and supportive atmosphere here at 7sage.

• mzoodlemzoodle Member
    226 karma

btw, where can i access/see all 7sage webinars, or pre recorded stuff?

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@mzoodle said:

It's under the Discussion tab. You should see "Webinar Videos" listed under "My Comments." Also, along with what was said above, another reason to skip is because each question in only worth one point. Lingering on that question isn't going to get you more points. You're more likely to still get the question wrong and miss out on a few other points due to spinning your wheels on the misunderstood question.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mzoodle said:
    Good for you, Alex!

I am happy to see such a kind and supportive atmosphere here at 7sage.

Yes, I was very fortunate to find 7Sage along with the most supportive group of preppers in the world! <3

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mzoodle said:

https://7sage.com/webinar/

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

@Sami said:

Think of it like this if you spend 3 minutes or more on a question you don't understand you just gave up 2-3 questions you could get right.

There are some questions on the test that are there purely to separate 178s from 180 takers... they aren't for you (that's why we BR to know which questions aren't for us)

June 2017 is a great example for me I went -2 in LR1 and those were my sacrifices. I should have been -2 in LR2 as well but I hung on to a problem for too long and I could have picked up to more questions.

Knowing which questions to skip/sacrifice is as important as knowing how to do answers themselves.

It wasn't something I really understood until JY laid it out for me and for that I'll forever be greatful!

• mzoodlemzoodle Member
    226 karma

Thanks, all