Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problems with Public Wifi

Hi everyone!
So I'm new to 7Sage and the past two times that I've studied have been at Panera and Starbucks, but both times the videos have given me trouble and they don't play. The videos will play on my cell phone and I've never had problems when at home.. so I'm not sure if it's public wifi that keeps the videos from playing but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone has advice for me?

Thank you!!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited July 2017 9372 karma

Hi @"CaseyAnn C." !

Interesting...I've studied at Starbucks using their wifi but never had problems with playing videos. Did Starbuck WiFi block videos in general (like YouTube) or just 7Sage?

@"Dillon A. Wright" , do you know anything about these problems?

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited July 2017 609 karma

What browser are you using? Chrome firefox?

Have you played around with the browsers? Its weird if itworks at home and not there.. has it worked sucessfully at other locations or is it consistently problematic?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Is this just at certain places? I know the Starbucks I go to sometimes for coffee breaks has pretty bad wifi. Might just be them.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

I'm always at the lib and coffee shops and it works fine.

• theLSATgrind2017theLSATgrind2017 Alum Member
    440 karma

I'm at Starbucks right now and it's fine. I'm also using Safari. It might depend the wifi traffic and the number of people using the connection.

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

I've had similarly poor experiences with Panera. I'm a tea snob so I don't go to Starbucks much, but I can certainly see similar problems occurring.

Getting creative with your venues could help; there are a lot of quiet places with free wifi that people don't frequent as much as much as they do cafes. Hotels, local colleges (in the summer,) hospitals, and rec centers/gyms are suitable study spots that most people wouldn't think of. I'm picky about the noise level and commotion around my study area, so I'm always hitting up unorthodox spots where I can focus.

The best study place I ever found was the archives room at a university library. Most colleges have old/rare books they don't want to put in circulation, and you can ask to read it in a special, quiet room that's always empty. I often ask for an archived book and read it between study breaks during finals week when every other coffee shop and library seat is at capacity.

• CaseyAnn C.CaseyAnn C. Member
    15 karma

Yeah I still haven't found out why it wasn't working, honestly it might be the laptop I was using too. There could be a lot of different factors. But I solved my problem by using my old laptop from college hahah thank you everyone for your feedback

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"CaseyAnn C." said:
    Yeah I still haven't found out why it wasn't working, honestly it might be the laptop I was using too. There could be a lot of different factors. But I solved my problem by using my old laptop from college hahah thank you everyone for your feedback

Does your cellphone have a wifi hot spot? I sometimes use mine on the subway to get work done on my laptop.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

hmm.. I've used 7sage at sbux before and never had a problem... it has to be their wifi if 7sage works in other places for you