Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Percentages vs Grade Letters for GPA Calculation

__emsss____emsss__ Alum Member

I go to a Canadian university where the 4.0 scale isn't used and, rather, we receive percentages and letter grades on our official transcripts. I read on another website that when calculating the LSAC GPA in such circumstances where both percentages and letter grades are available, then only letter grades will be used. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact true?
My GPA is significantly different when I use percentages vs. grade letters to calculate it, so it's very important for me to figure this out. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1091 karma

Don't know how much this helps, but for the longest time I thought the LSAC was going to convert my UK grades in to a US-style GPA. However, all my transcripts have now been processed and I'm told that since it's a foreign transcript they simply don't calculate a GPA for me, even though my school provides letter grade equivalents for my numerical scores. So I just don't have a GPA reported to Law Schools. Obviously they still get my transcripts though.

I spent a lot of time worrying how my UK degree was going to convert in to a GPA, but now it seems it's a non-issue. I emailed about 8 T-14 schools and the general answer from all but one was "don't worry, we get that other systems are different and we will look at your grades in their proper context." The outlier was that one school pretty much said don't worry about your degree grades and focus on getting a median LSAT score or better since the LSAT will carry more weight given your foreign education.

• __emsss____emsss__ Alum Member
    65 karma

That's really interesting to hear. Thanks for the information!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Rigid Designator" interesting... I suppose it is a good thing they'll be looking into the grades in their proper context.