Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What am i doing wrong??

When it comes to LG there is the foolproof method.
When it comes to LR there is a plan of attack and method for each question, and the ability to drill each question type until its fluent.
When it comes to RC.... argh. I sit everyday and do a timed section. After, i write down every part of every passage and how they relate to each other in my own words. And i may understand it after all this. I may even get them all right after this. But to no avail, when it comes to tomorrows section. I will suck just as badly as today

Comments

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    When it comes to LR there is a plan of attack and method for each question, and the ability to drill each question type until its fluent.
    When it comes to RC.... argh. I sit everyday and do a timed section. After, i write down every part of every passage and how they relate to each other in my own words. And i may understand it after all this. I may even get them all right after this. But to no avail, when it comes to tomorrows section. I will suck just as badly as today

I had similar problems with RC initially. What helped for me was The LSAT Trainer method for RC questions along with pure exposure and experience with passages. When I was fool proofing games, I usually took an RC passage or two from every other day's PT to practice. This seemed to help as I got closer to PT 35.

Good luck!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

RC is a strange mistress. There are days where questions are really straight forward to me and then there are days when I can't seem to get anything right. The best advice I've gotten, with the most effect on my score, was to eliminate wrong answers instead of looking for the right one. This helped me a lot.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

I just feel like LSAC is more concerned w putting attractive answer choices that will be COMPLETELY correct and do a great job at whatever the question is asking for except for 1 detail that is off. And the correct answer choice is complete crap except for the fact that nothing is wrong w it

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I just feel like LSAC is more concerned w putting attractive answer choices that will be COMPLETELY correct and do a great job at whatever the question is asking for except for 1 detail that is off. And the correct answer choice is complete crap except for the fact that nothing is wrong w it

You're exactly 100% right, so be aware of this!

As @LSATcantwin said above, I definitely rely on POE way more. Just my entire mindset shifts to looking out for what is making these seemingly attractive answer choices wrong. I also prephrase as much as possible on RC so I don't get pulled into traps and/or have to refer back to the passage.

Lastly, I just want to add that it is my belief that beyond reading and comprehending (lol!) this section is all about memory. I believe that the LSAT test makers want you to be going back to the passage as much as possible. If you can have a mental map of the passage, created by visualizing the passage in your mind, you will be better armed to defeat these hard RC questions. in short, If you're looking back at the passage, you want to know where to look, and you want to be able to "see" the details in your mind's eye.