What is the difference between the new LR (2000- ) and old ones?

Ann MarieAnn Marie Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Logical Reasoning 72 karma

I have not done as many of tests to get a conclusion, but I heard there is a difference, is that true? anything you guys noticed?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2017 13286 karma

Longer more convulted stimulus.

Weakening questions are harder because the AC kinda just calls the argument into question but isn't like a direct attack.

RRE/MSS seem trickier

More trap AC

Harder to use process of elimination for wrong AC.

That's just a few of what I've noticed

• Ann MarieAnn Marie Alum Member
    72 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

Weakening questions are harder because they AC kinda just calls the argument into question but isn't like a direct attack.

RRE/MSS seem trickier

More trap AC

Thanks for the information! BTW, is the older ones you refer to ?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Ann Marie" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Weakening questions are harder because they AC kinda just calls the argument into question but isn't like a direct attack.

RRE/MSS seem trickier

More trap AC

Thanks for the information! BTW, is the older ones you refer to ?

No this is like PT 60 - 80

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

Strengthen/Weaken questions are more subtle in that you sometimes have to make not so intuitive inferences to arrive at the correct answer choice. It's sometimes easy to skip over a correct answer choice thinking it's not relevant when in fact it is. This inference aspect is applicable to resolve and MSS questions too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

In short, I think the newer LR adds more nuance and misdirection. Older tests' LR are not easy by any means, but some of the classic flaws and classic moves are less disguised, for example. Also as @dml277 mentions above, weaken/strengthen require you to make little assumptions of your own sometimes.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

The language is a bit different, but the logic is not. Logic itself is like math and is universal and unchanging. Any increased difficulty can only come from basically writing the test at a higher reading level. There's often a transition period to adapt to this, but it's something that many of us get used to quickly and even come to prefer.

• himi.salahhimi.salah Alum Member
    19 karma

It also appears that a greater portion of the questions are of the flaw type compared to the older tests. I've realized this during my reviews after having sorted the questions by type. The older tests contained 4 to 5 flaw questions per test but the number has gone up on the later tests.