Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to official logic games?

LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
in Logic Games 530 karma

I'm at a point with Logic Games where I can consistently get -0 in 30 minutes, but I acknowledge a significant reason for this is that I've done every game at least twice -- the ones that gave me particular trouble, many more times.

I want to stay sharp on the section as I gear up to retake in September, but I also don't want to be blind-sighted on test day, when I will be faced with a new set of logic games for the first time in over 3 months.

So -- is anyone else in the same boat? Would anyone recommend a testing prep company that writes their own logic games instead of using LSAC official ones? For LR or RC, I'd be very skeptical about using questions not asked on the actual exam, but given the nature of LG, I think the benefits outweigh the cost, as I'd be supplementing the made-up games with real sets.

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1997 karma

I dont think doing 3rd party LG's will hurt you at all. They might not be "official", but it will still train you to recognize patterns and work efficiently. The only drawback I might see is if they word questions in different ways, then it might make you lose the muscle memory that you've worked so long on building, and it could make you start to lean more towards the 3rd party style vs original.

So just be sure to come back and do some officials every now and then between unofficials.

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

I'm right with you; I've done every LG released, and it's hard to test myself since my brain can cheat ahead to the right answers, or at least the key inferences that I may have had to contemplate a bit otherwise.

I recall the LSAT Trainer having a few made up examples, but they were very limited and only used for quick demonstrations.

Another thing you could consider (after taking due legal diligence) is purchasing digital copies of practice tests, and editing the PDFs to simply change the proper nouns and variable names.

It would be an arduous process, (and one that wouldn't work for every game,) but I think you could end up with 60-70% of the sections with alternate topics that don't trigger your memory, letting you solve them as you would approaching the problem for the first time.

To reiterate, I'm not sure what the LSAC's policy is for that kind of thing (surely you wouldn't want to share with anyone,) but if it's okay for personal use it may be worth it.

Let me know what you end up doing! :)

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Manhattan prep has a bunch they've created you can google.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@stepharizona said:

Yeah, I think these are great for the position you are in @LSATiscoming

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

@stepharizona said:

Perfect -- will check this out!

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone!!

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Just keep in mind they're not real so mix them in.

The other thing you can practice is different was to solve the games you've played experiencing with charts patterns and things like that. A good example is the swimming laps race game. If you set it up as a circular game it's SO easy, but people rarely call this a circular game.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@stepharizona said:

Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of that.

• windows95windows95 Alum Member
    27 karma

Great question! I'm actually in the same position. I just completed all games available on Ultimate, and considering + and other alternatives. Will check Manhattan prep