Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else re-taking and used up newer PT's?

lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
in General 267 karma

Hi 7sagers,
I'm planning on retaking in Sept, already used up the newer tests in preparation for the June 2017 lsat. I found PT's 70-80 to have subtle and not so subtle differences from older ones. I previously prepared using Manhattan's prep course, and they pulled from mainly 50-80 but occasionally older ones.
I'm wondering how to improve on LR and RC now, when I'm so familiar with the newer test problems and answers. Will drilling from the very earliest PT's hurt my exam prep for Sept? I know it sounds funny, if someone has a solid understanding they should be able to do well no matter how old or new the exam but I was confused why, for example I did pretty bad on the LR in the 60s but much better on 70s.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"lsat 1101" said:
    Hi 7sagers,
    I'm planning on retaking in Sept, already used up the newer tests in preparation for the June 2017 lsat. I found PT's 70-80 to have subtle and not so subtle differences from older ones. I previously prepared using Manhattan's prep course, and they pulled from mainly 50-80 but occasionally older ones.
    I'm wondering how to improve on LR and RC now, when I'm so familiar with the newer test problems and answers. Will drilling from the very earliest PT's hurt my exam prep for Sept? I know it sounds funny, if someone has a solid understanding they should be able to do well no matter how old or new the exam but I was confused why, for example I did pretty bad on the LR in the 60s but much better on 70s.

So the logic remains the same, but the questions themselves can be phrased more difficultly.

No, I don't think you will necessarily hurt yourself by using the older PTs, especially if you haven't seen those yet. If you are taking in September, I would probably recommend focusing the majority of your time on the newer tests even if you have already seen them, just because the LR is quite different from the older tests. However, I think there's a lot of get out of the older tests you haven't seen yet.

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

Yes... same boat! I have taken almost every single exam, and am worried because I have no way to gauge my progress. Any advice would be so appreciated.

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

I would say that you should definitely not be hesitant to use the older practice tests for further practice. The logic is the most important thing to hammer down, and that is universal. Closer to the test, go over sections from the more recent tests (or retake them) so that you can re-internalize any differences in question wording.