Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I buy LSAT Trainer?

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
edited August 2017 in General 630 karma

Hello fellow 7Sagers,

I am currently in a dilemma of whether I should purchase the LSAT Trainer? I have bought the Powerscore LG Workbook and I have found it to be quite helpful in terms of working out logic games, however my real struggle comes with logical reasoning and reading comprehension. I have heard good things about it, I don't really want to waste more money on the book if it really won't help me.

I am not sure if the LSAT Trainer is more of a workbook or more of an all-inclusive book on mainly strategy. I am of course using the core curriculum, however I am still struggling with LR and RC.

Any suggestions are helpful at this point.

Thank you!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I believe Mike has some samples on his website. The book is about the 'big picture' and developing your intuition as opposed to memorizing a million strategies.

I put it on a hold while I work through the CC. You're ultimate + so you're set on problems+drills.

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

It's my understanding that the LSAT Trainer, if used to its full extent, is a self-study course basically similar to 7Sage and other LSAT courses. I've heard great reviews about the approaches that Mike Kim, the author, teaches.

However, rather than buying another book, I'd focus on working through the 7Sage curriculum patiently, diligently, and consistently. I think there's a tendency to feel that you need to buy 'all the things'--every possible prep test, all of the best LSAT training materials, all of the perfect pencils, the perfect sharpener, etc.--to succeed on the LSAT. I know I've felt that way and made some purchases for that reason (such as the LSAT Trainer). Unfortunately, while having those things can give you the resources to succeed, none of them are sufficient for success. Nor are they even all necessary for success. Your consistent efforts to learn are what really count.

I really like the first few chapters of the LSAT Trainer (that's all I've read in a year or so of owning it), but there's a lot to gain from being committed to the 7Sage curriculum (which you've already paid for) and getting out of it all that you can. If you're at a point where you've done that, sure, the Trainer's or other companies' methods for LR and RC may be useful to you. Different perspectives on things are always valuable. Just don't get stuck buying more things if you haven't tried to get the most out of what you have already. I'm sure I read a post from @"Jonathan Wang" saying something to that effect once, but I can't remember where.

Hope that helps!

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 260 karma

@jennybbbbb i think the LSAT Trainer is great to synthesize and solidfy concepts with a global perspective. As such, you should consider purchasing it after completing the CC at 7Sage as opppsed to doing it in tandem with 7Sage. If your PT's are 165 and above consistently, and you're seeking to take the test in September, then I understand your need to get through the Trainer sooner. Even so, get a good grasp on the CC at 7Sage and/Powerscore material you've purchased before looking at the Trainer. You'll be very thankful that you have a core knowledge base before applying Mike Kim's approaches -:)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@partyondudes said:
    It's my understanding that the LSAT Trainer, if used to its full extent, is a self-study course basically similar to 7Sage and other LSAT courses. I've heard great reviews about the approaches that Mike Kim, the author, teaches.

However, rather than buying another book, I'd focus on working through the 7Sage curriculum patiently, diligently, and consistently. I think there's a tendency to feel that you need to buy 'all the things'--every possible prep test, all of the best LSAT training materials, all of the perfect pencils, the perfect sharpener, etc.--to succeed on the LSAT. I know I've felt that way and made some purchases for that reason (such as the LSAT Trainer). Unfortunately, while having those things can give you the resources to succeed, none of them are sufficient for success. Nor are they even all necessary for success. Your consistent efforts to learn are what really count.

I really like the first few chapters of the LSAT Trainer (that's all I've read in a year or so of owning it), but there's a lot to gain from being committed to the 7Sage curriculum (which you've already paid for) and getting out of it all that you can. If you're at a point where you've done that, sure, the Trainer's or other companies' methods for LR and RC may be useful to you. Different perspectives on things are always valuable. Just don't get stuck buying more things if you haven't tried to get the most out of what you have already. I'm sure I read a post from @"Jonathan Wang" saying something to that effect once, but I can't remember where.

Hope that helps!

I wholeheartedly agree with this! Once you finish the CC if you still want a different perspective on things, then maybe the LSAT Trainer might be worth adding to your studying.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I agree with the Party and Alex, I think the Trainer complements the 7sage CC pretty well.

• TheTipsyFeministTheTipsyFeminist Alum Member
    19 karma

So I started with the Trainer and realized I was hopelessly lost and started 7sage. I have found this program to be immensely helpful. I will say though that once I am completely finished with 7sage I may revisit the LSAT trainer and see how I do. I would say though stick with this if you are a more visual learner like I am.

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    315 karma

I've used the 7sage CC and enjoyed the supplementary work that I have gotten from the trainer, for LR. I think if you do both correctly, it's better than doing one correctly.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I've read it for RC, it wasn't that bad. people rave about it, and it's a pretty good book. haven't used it for LR but I've heard the flaw section is amazing.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I too used the LSAT Trainer first. Took a diagnostic -- read the book -- took another and my score went up about 13 points. But after that, I kind of couldn't get anything else out of it. I agree the Trainer is great for a comprehensive overview of the LSAT with some great resources but 7Sage seems to teach at a deeper level (could just be because of the videos). That being said, I'd finish the CC first then if you need reinforcement, look to the Trainer.