Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Actual practice test score 154, blind reviewing at 167

Leena300Leena300 Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 85 karma

Hey so I'm a little frustrated because I feel i'm missing out on some pretty basic questions because of the time pressure and then when i go back and review I figure out the right answer. My questions is how do you comprehend all this info and get to the right answer so fast. Is it basically practice makes perfect? Thanks!

Comments

• JDtobeeeeJDtobeeee Alum Member
    175 karma

I think you should identify which question types specifically are giving you trouble. Then drill, drill, and drill some more of that question type. After seeing a certain question type (right and wrong answers too) over and over, you begin to see patterns and then during a timed PT, you'll be able to quickly arrive to the right answer or eliminate all wrong answer choices. Really comes down to repetition. Also, if you haven't fool proofed games, be sure to do this. I've fool proofed up until PT 17 now and already feel more confident on making inferences.

I've been in the same boat where I will BR very high. Be proud that you are BR-ing that high! It shows your potential of where you could be scoring. I use that BR score to encourage myself to push myself.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

how long did it take you to go through 1-17? i've been holding to doing the foolproof in favour of LR focus.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@harleenkgill1 said:
    Hey so I'm a little frustrated because I feel i'm missing out on some pretty basic questions because of the time pressure and then when i go back and review I figure out the right answer. My questions is how do you comprehend all this info and get to the right answer so fast. Is it basically practice makes perfect? Thanks!

How many PTs have you done thus far?

In any case, a 167 BR is something to be proud of since it means you must generally understand many of the concepts on the test well. There's no secret to getting fast but practice/targeted drilling/review ... I use to be painfully, painfully slow while going through LR. Learning to skip helps, but nothing will help more than spending your time during your BR to examine why you're having trouble while under timed pressure.

Another thing that can help a lot is recording yourself do sections/PTs. Once you have a recording to review, it gives you some objective data to where you're sinking your time into. Then you can re-examine how to allocate that time. For instance, I realized after reviewing 2 LR sections that I was way too slow at pulling the trigger on main point, SA, and MBT questions. It was like I knew the damn answer, but would spend an additional 30 seconds checking my answer. It was obvious I wasn't missing these, so it indicated I needed to have more confidence and know when to move on. This ended up being the difference in me being able to finish with a couple of minutes to spare.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

Having a really good grasp on the strategy you need to employ for each question type helped me with overall speed.

A good example of this was my improvement on Main Conclusion/Main Point questions. For those questions I would spend too much time reading the whole stimulus to get a good sense of the argument. A better strategy I learned from the CC was to simply look for words or sentence structures which indicate a conclusion, highlight this sentence, then ruthlessly scan the answer choices for a paraphrase of this sentence.

This saves me time by not requiring me to try and grasp the whole argument. Now all I need to do is identify that I'm dealing with a MP/MC question and then, as I'm reading the stimulus, be on the look out for a conclusion. I don't need to focus so much on the argument any more, and this saves time.

• CJF_2180CJF_2180 Alum Member
    106 karma

This is pretty much where I am right now and it's mainly thanks to logic games. I find that there is usually one game that I just kind of blank on during the timed exam. Under BR I get -3 to -5 or so. I know I can do it. It's just really frustrating. If you're struggling with LR I would definitely go back through CC. I did this and I just find myself more confident moving about the test. If it's test anxiety, which is what typically happens to me, you can try to mitigate that. There's a webinar about meditating - the practice of which I think is helpful for me because I often get anxious and lose focus on certain passages or just panic on games. Being mindful/ meditation practice can help you notice when your mind starts to drift and you start just reading but are not comprehending what is going on.

• Felix MendezFelix Mendez Alum Member
    60 karma

I'm in the exact same boat! Except 156 and BR 167. Since I haven't gotten over the hump myself, I'm not sure exactly what It takes but I'd guess it is practice. 167 shows when the timer is off, and we can just sit down and think, we sort of know what we're doing! So hopefully practice and more practice just makes us faster and before long our actual scores will be our BR scores now. At least thats what I'm hoping