Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With a month left....not sure what to do

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage

Well folks it's just over a month until the September 2017 test. Of course that feels like the test is tomorrow.

I'm not really sure what to do. I am fairly consistently around a 168-170 right now, even on the more modern tests. My section break down is;

-0/-1 LG
-3/-5 LR (each)
-4 RC

I want to maintain, and maybe see if I can squeeze out one or two more points some how. I'm just not sure how. I am back on schedule to do 1 PT a week with blind review. Right now I am alternating between RC/LR every day of the week but it's all starting to feel more like review and less like learning new habits and skills.

What do you guys think? What are you doing for the next month?

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

I'm right there with you. We're at the 2nd to last plateau (last one being low-mid 170s up to high 170s), so it won't come easy.

Have you identified any trends to where you are missing your LR questions? Specific range of questions (15-20), type of questions, do worse in LR the later the section (ex, sec 4 vs sec 1)?

I'd happily take your -4 RC though haha

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@Mellow_Z said:
    I'm right there with you. We're at the 2nd to last plateau (last one being low-mid 170s up to high 170s), so it won't come easy.

Have you identified any trends to where you are missing your LR questions? Specific range of questions (15-20), type of questions, do worse in LR the later the section (ex, sec 4 vs sec 1)?

Nothing really specific that ever pops up.

One LR section is always like -3 and the other ends up being like -5.

Question types are pretty evenly spread, hard weakening, hard MSS, hard RRE, Hard NA, every now and again I'll miss an argument part. I don't employ a skipping strategy really, unless I read a stimulus and know right away I don't understand what is happening.

I always miss one around 6-9 and then a couple in the late teens early 20's.

Section order doesn't matter. Sometimes its -5 in the first LR and some times its -3 in the 5th.

I end LR sections with anywhere from 3 to 5min left, and on modern tests its more like 2-3min.

Reading comp it's 100% guaranteed that I'll miss a stupid Author Inference question. My head just hates those for some reason.

Other than that I really feel like I am just maintaining where I am. I still drill question types, and do timed sections but I feel like I'm kind of just in a zone and not moving out of it.

• Felix MendezFelix Mendez Alum Member
    60 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

Hey for those of us who haven't been able to get through our first plateau, what do you recommend? What did you do to get over the hump and improve?

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

I am in the same boat. I miss on average 4 on LR (each section), 4 on RC (from 2 to 5 on each section; but I am happy with that) and 0 on LG. So usually good days low 170s; bad days high 160s

My plan is to drill level 4 from Cambridge LR packet, doing six games (not section!) per day and 1 RC section (not before 40) while not PT. I try to PT 2 times a week with thorough BR and reviews.

I began to systematically analyze my mistakes (why I chose the wrong one; what made me rule out the correct one; whether my approach was too mechanic). Following Alex's advice @"Alex Divine", I probably want to film myself to see whether I spent too much time on easy questions.

I definitely think we can improve our LR!

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

@Mellow_Z didnt you jus ttake the june one? youre doing the september as well?

1997 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:
    @Mellow_Z didnt you jus ttake the june one? youre doing the september as well?

Nah I didn't take June. Still studying for September, hopefully I'll be done by then and not have to take the December one :lol:

1997 karma

@"Felix Mendez" said:

@Mellow_Z said:

Hey for those of us who haven't been able to get through our first plateau, what do you recommend? What did you do to get over the hump and improve?

What are you referring to as the "first"? There's probably numerous below the 170s, so I'm sorry that I don't know exactly what you're referring to.

In general though, until you're in the 160s, I'd say the biggest thing is to build a firm understanding of the basics - basically everything in the CC. You need to know how to pull apart the various pieces of an argument, how to tell the difference between necessary and sufficient conditions, know how the various question types are "generally" solved, and go from there. Once you get these basics down you should be in the low-mid 160's, and from there it is all about building up your testing strategies - timing, skipping strategies, efficiency, etc.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

@Mellow_Z you got this ... do both !