Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anxiety before start PT - 7Sage Forum

Anxiety before start PT

sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
in General 157 karma

Hi 7sagers,

I am coming back for help again. This time is about anxiety.

I finished the CC and did most problem sets of LR/LG, a few of RC. So I think it is a good time to start timed sections/PT. I am just quiet anxious about it.

One of the reasons is I am kind of worried to see that I am still far from my goal (170+) in the timed tests. If I get a really low score, I might start to question whether I am in the right path/whether the last 2 month study really make any improvement at all. I know it is wrong to think this way, but I am still quite nervous. And I guess some of you might also went though some anxiety when you about to take PTs. How did you overcome it?

Another reason for why I am nervous might be that I am feeling tired and suffering from insomnia. I began study full time for LSAT in mid May, so it is about 3 months. Now I fall asleep around 3am, and weak up around 11am. The problem is I don't feel recharged after I week up. This started to bother me shortly after I start to study for LSAT. I can still do problem sets with the bad feeling, and I can still see the improvement. But I think if I want to take PT I need better mental status. I know some LSAT takers also suffer from insomnia. Love to hear any advice from people who have gone though this progress.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Comments

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

honestly i would take a few days off and work on your sleep, its hard to express how proper sleep helps in life, do you work out? try tiring yourself out get some melatonin and fix your sleep cycle..
    as far as reaching your goal dont think of them as tests that will prove how far you are from your goal think of them as stepping stone that you are using to get to your goal.

oh and the 666is bad luck lol

• sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

I used to exercise, but after dive into LSAT I feel that to tried to do so. I guess I am a little bit burn out.
    But why 666 is bad luck??? :neutral:

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

First try taking a week off and get your sleep habits together lol. Humans underestimate the power of 7-8 hours a night it is INVALUABLE. I also suffer from mild anxiety and seeing a therapist for just a few sessions helped tremendously (message me if you want his info he does sessions by Skype and is accessible anywhere--and affordable). He helped me work through my test anxiety and it really helped. Also try practicing mindful meditation that helps a lot too.

• -ObbuddO--ObbuddO- Alum Member
    236 karma

@sjiang666 said:
    But why 666 is bad luck??? :neutral:

Hahaha, I was wondering the same thing when I saw his comment so I googled it, there were some pictures showed up that looked pretty ZhongEr/FeiZhuLiu, but it looks like 666 has something to do with religion, maybe it means a bibilical demon. That was new knowledge to me, so thanks @theLSATdreamer.

I think we're from the same country, judging by your last name, so I totally get your name, and this probably is a cultural thing, just like 7 is a good number in the western culture but not the case in China.

As for your sleeping pattern, I have the same issue as you do, and I've tried to adjust myself to "regular daytime routine", but it failed...multiple times throughout my life, maybe because I'm not a strong, determined person...but I do feel I'm more productive at night so I stop feeling guilty about it. You shouldn't worry too much about it if you feel you're more productive at night, and based on my own experience, on the test day, your body will know it's a big day and adjust itself to reach a proper degree of excitement, so you don't have a foggy brain (e.g. Remember the day before the field trip when you were in elementary school? Even though you have gone to bed really late because of excitement, you were still able to stay excited and wide awake on the next day). But again, it's just my experience, sometimes I give really bad advice, like this one, maybe. Don't trust me.

Lastly, if you suffer from insomnia, exercise helps, a 30-minute cardio workout of any kind can wake up your brain and bring you a sound sleep.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4428 karma

I struggle a little with insomnia, but mostly just with being a night owl. I sleep at about the same time of day as you do when I can and feel plenty recharged.

That said, I have a few approaches that work for me. First, just force the matter. If you set your alarm and wake up at 8 in the morning you will feel exhausted by night enabling you to fall asleep more easilly. This works for night owls like us in jobs and in school all around the world.

Second, it seems to me that if you are up the important thing is not to waste the time worrying. Just actually study until you can go to sleep. (This still needs to be fixed eventually if you are taking the LSAT in the morning, but at least you won't waste the time worrying.)

Third, hot baths nearly invariably make me very sleepy.

Finally, it would probably be a good idea to address the underlying anxiety. You could do this by getting better at the LSAT, counseling, some sort of meditation, or just putting it all in perspective.

Now for the matter of 666.

Disclaimer: the following is neither sound medical advice nor accurate information about the traditional mythology surrounding the devil.

"666" is known as the devil's number. The Devil was cast out of heaven by LSAC and keeps all poor LSAT test takers locked in their own personal hell until they reach their goals.

He's actually not that bad a guy; he's trying to help. Once you get your good score he releases you from your personal Hell featuring anxiety and sleep deprivation. He has given you additional motivation to practice.

• mmmmmkk99mmmmmkk99 Alum Member
    56 karma

I totally understand where you're coming from. A few weeks ago I think I was in the same place and I would sleep around 4am and wake up between 11 and 12 feeling totally sluggish and I barely had motivation to study. Here's what helped tremendously:
    -Force yourself to wake up around 7/8 am EVERY DAY. (this will naturally make you tired and fall asleep earlier and wake up earlier after a couple of days)
    -WHILE DOING THIS, try to do something active like talking a walk or just going out and doing errands. Do something to get out of the house.
    -Also, take a break from studying. Whether it's a few days or a week or two take some time to do stuff you enjoy. Hang out with friends, go shopping, stay in and watch movies, etc. Taking some time to recharge is crucial.

Hope this helps :)