Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How people approach studying for the LSAT

shannon_shannon_ Member
in General 90 karma

Hello! I have been studying for the LSAT using 7sage for 1 month now, and I'm struggling to study efficiently. It's been personally difficult for me to watch videos, takes notes, and absorb the rules all at the same time. I wanted to get advice from others on their daily routines, how they approach tackling every section.

Comments

• TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
    587 karma

The best tip I can give you, is don't rush learning. It takes a while to truly grasp the LSAT's way of thinking. The pace of learning can be really demoralizing initially...especially if you're someone who is use to doing well at school etc BUT I promise it's normal. It starts clicking eventually..... but spacing out your learning is the best way, I find, to be able to learn and apply everything you've learned.

This is what my day looks like:

6 AM - wake up/breakfast
    6:30-7:30 - yoga
    8 - LR ( I pick three question types a day to focus on and drill the shit out of them).
    -I write the formulas for how to tackle on little cards, and make sure to answer each question type based on that little formula.

12-2: lunch/ a quick run to clear my mind.

2-6 PM - Drill either a type of LG games or RC. I supplement the CC when I feel like I need a little bit of help.

and then during the evening, I usually read blog posts or listen to a webinar.

• shannon_shannon_ Member
    90 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" thank you so much for your post! You do this everyday?

I forgot to add, that one of my issues though is creating an efficient study plan while working 40+ hours a week. I leave home at 8AM and return home at 6PM. So, I'm not sure how people would work on this type of schedule?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@shannon_j said:
    @"Idil.Beshir" thank you so much for your post! You do this everyday?

I forgot to add, that one of my issues though is creating an efficient study plan while working 40+ hours a week. I leave home at 8AM and return home at 6PM. So, I'm not sure how people would work on this type of schedule?

I work 40 hour weeks as well.

I use commute time before work to do LG on the train. I use my hour long lunch to do an LR/RC section with review. I then spend another hour or so at home doing drills on LR questions that I find difficult. This gives me about 3-5 hours a day on the LSAT. It is not ideal because you are constantly working but it's one of those things you just have to bite the bullet and do.

My advice - fit LSAT in anywhere you can during your day. The only way to improve is to work on weakness.

90 karma

@LSATcantwin great advice, thank you. Can I ask when you say "drills" are these questions from the CC that you re-practice? I guess I'm a bit confused on what drills are?

I guess I'm just worried whatever I study, it won't be good enough for the next day! It's hard to tell if I'm studying as efficiently as possible.

13286 karma

@shannon_j said:
    @LSATcantwin great advice, thank you. Can I ask when you say "drills" are these questions from the CC that you re-practice? I guess I'm a bit confused on what drills are?

I guess I'm just worried whatever I study, it won't be good enough for the next day! It's hard to tell if I'm studying as efficiently as possible.

It really depends. I like to group questions by type - so if I am feeling weak on MSS questions, I'll do a ton of them in succession. This helps me get a solid foundation on the approach needed for that type of question.

I also will drill different types back to back. For instance MSS, NA and Flaw I like to do one after the other. I have noticed that my mind does a significant switch in the way it approaches these types of questions. By putting a couple back to back my mind gets use to having to adjust quickly to a new task.

I also like to see what I did on my weekly PT and use that as a guide post on where to focus my next week of study. If I got a lot of Par Flaw questions wrong, I focus on those for a while until I start to feel confident in them again.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@shannon_j said:
    Hello! I have been studying for the LSAT using 7sage for 1 month now, and I'm struggling to study efficiently. It's been personally difficult for me to watch videos, takes notes, and absorb the rules all at the same time. I wanted to get advice from others on their daily routines, how they approach tackling every section.

Having the videos is super convenient and allows me to work from anywhere -- including lunch breaks, commutes, and even while walking down the street listening to a lesson.

I think slow and steady is the mindset to approach the CC with. I take notes on every lessons, and admittedly, I don't always review them but I do think that it forces me to an active learning mindset rather than passively just watching videos.

For LR, I approached most question types the same way. I would watch the lessons and do the corresponding problem sets. I would review the problem sets and evaluate how I felt about the question type. For main conclusion, I was pretty confident I had it nailed. But for other question types like Parallel Reasoning, it was clear I needed more practice. So for a lot of question types I did mixed timed/untimed drilling to learn.

For LG, I would watch the lessons and then re-do the problem sets that followed many times. I began to fool proof games while watching the LG lessons as well.

For RC, I watched the lessons and printed out the passages JY goes over. I then did many of the corresponding passages from the problem sets and reviewed them with JY's video explanations. It was time consuming but worth seeing exactly how JY approached the same passage. It helped me gain perspective on what is important in a passage and how to go about tackling different types of passage.

My biggest advice is just to make sure you are memorizing what you can for this test. So any rules or conditional logic that JY says is important, commit to your memory. Also make sure you put a lot of time into mastering the fundamentals that undergird this entire test. With strong fundamentals the harder parts of this test become much more doable!

Good luck :)

• camcam Alum Member
    349 karma

I've worked the same type of schedule as you, and then have dealt with an inconsistent schedule.

When I'm in LSAT mode (I'm coming back from an extended break), here's what my day looks like...for a point of reference, I'm just getting back into studying for a retake. So, my overall goal at the moment is general refresher with an emphasis on fool proofing logic games.

0530-0545ish, wake up
    0545-0600: shower, shave, get dressed, have caffeine (I fast until lunch)
    0600-0745: LSAT Trainer reading (using it to get an overview/general review)
    Lunch (if possible): 45-60mins of LG Fool Proofing
    After work/once I get home: 45mins for dinner/unwinding
    1845-2030: LSAT, whether that is continuing in CC or LSAT Trainer or problem type drilling.

So, today, I got home by about 415PM. So, I went for a 40minute walk to clear my head/unwind, had 45mins for dinner, so I didn't get started studying until about 545PM. I ducked into the forums after reading a chapter and fool proofing a logic game. Once I'm done with this post, it will be more fool proofing.

If this is your first time around studying, do what the others have said. Follow the Core Curriculum, watch and review the videos, do the problem sets. So if we adapted the schedule I posted to the CC and problem sets, here's about what it would look like....

0600-0745: Core Curriculum Videos and problem sets.
    Lunch (if possible): problem sets that you didn't get to in the morning
    1800 (645PM): finish problem sets you didn't complete, more core curriculum videos, or review the material from earlier that day.

From my previous prep, what helped me gain some comfort in RC was reading material outside of my comfort zone and treating it like an RC Passage-finding the main point, identifying the authors opinion, what the structure is, etc. I have/had subscriptions to The New Yorker, The Economist, and Scientific American.

Once you're at the point in the curriculum where you are doing practice tests, use the Analytics section to see what your weak areas are. Go back to the CC for those areas for review.

• 8 karma

I ONLY STUDY 2-3 HOURS A DAY! @shannon_j When is your test? I'm assuming that you aren't taking it in September seeing as you have only just started. If you are taking the test in September that is fine, but I would treat it as a dry run in preparation for a later test. I also work 40 hours a week, and I DON'T BELIEVE IN STUDYING 8 HOURS A DAY! I just do 2-3 after work before I watch tv or go to bed.

I encourage you to start with Logic Games. Everyone says you gain the most from that and it's true. (I went from a 142 to a 155 in a month after getting my Games down) Also this eases you into the whole studying/LSAT mentality. Some of the LR stuff can really get you bogged down.

Work your way through a Type of Logic Game by watching the videos in the section, doing the problem sets, and then going to the Question Bank. finish about 10-15 question sets in the bank (I did 5 sets in a sitting, got up to do stuff, and came back the next day or later) and then move on to the next type of games video section in the syllabus. Just repeat that until you have done that for all the games.

Once I mastered all the games. I started on the LR using the same strategy. Do a section of videos, complete the problem sets, and then go to the question bank and knock 15-20 questions until i feel comfortable.

once you've done that. you can start taking practice tests every Saturday morning and reviewing them on Sundays.

Once you finish with LR you move onto the RC section. However you don't do RC every day. You go into a 3 day rotation of RC, LR, and LG. with tests on saturdays and review on sunday.

I suggest 6 months of studying, but give yourself a break. after my first test I took about a month off and then started reviewing again.

Good Luck!

90 karma

@"joshua.p.hillman" thank you so much for your help! I was planning to take the exam in December, but am feeling overwhelmed with how little I am able to practice in the evenings. That's interesting, so you went straight to LG games. Don't certain sections of the CC in the beginning help to enhance your understanding of LG though ? I would agree to work at LG because that was my greatest weakness on my diagnostic.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

this is a complex question because of different life realities..
    in my case i work a lot and i realized that i study better when i dont quit the gym lol.. which ive done in the pass so my schedule is

6am wake up gym till 7
    bullet proof cooffee and 1 game or RC
    work from 830 -5, with game during lunch
    home by 6 eat study for 2.5 hours chill with the wife
    and 1 to 2 RC before bed..
    saturdays i go hard, study 6-9 break for gym then study 1-4 break and study 7-9
    sundays church then 4 hour break

the issue is when you burn out you gotta take a day or two off. i read somewhere you need at least 240 hours of study for this test. so i keep track and i dont count prep test hours.

90 karma

@cam @"Alex Divine" Thank you both so incredibly much for your responses, I appreciate it! Do you think it's a good idea to memorize some of the questions? I've been thinking of doing that for LRs at least, to memorize how JY goes about approaching the stimulus/getting the correct answer choice.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@shannon_j said:
    @cam @"Alex Divine" Thank you both so incredibly much for your responses, I appreciate it! Do you think it's a good idea to memorize some of the questions? I've been thinking of doing that for LRs at least, to memorize how JY goes about approaching the stimulus/getting the correct answer choice.

I mean, don't memorize the actual question, but definitely try to memorize what you can about the process. There's actually a print out from the course that outlines how to approach LR questions. https://7sage.com/lesson/logical-reasoning-flow-chart/

JY even says in the lesson to commit this to memory! I did when I first began and it certainly helped me greatly as a general guideline to follow.

Be careful of being too robotic here, staying flexible with your approach is quite important when it comes to this text. You can't really ever fully memorize "how" JY arrives at these answers without a good understanding of the conditional logic that is needed to arrive at many of the correct answers.

Good luck!

• 8 karma

@shannon_j said:
    @"joshua.p.hillman" thank you so much for your help! I was planning to take the exam in December, but am feeling overwhelmed with how little I am able to practice in the evenings. That's interesting, so you went straight to LG games. Don't certain sections of the CC in the beginning help to enhance your understanding of LG though ? I would agree to work at LG because that was my greatest weakness on my diagnostic.

So if you're a month in you probably already have a basic understanding of the LSAT and how the questions are worded. I like the LG games to start because you can actually see yourself improving immensely. I went from it being my absolute worst section (missing 75%) to my best (missing 2 total on my actual LSAT in June) the trick is to focus on them. Maybe start of LR and work through the Must Be true questions, but after that jump into the LG and follow what I said above. You should be FINE by December. you could spend a month on each section and still have like 45 days to practice test and review. The one thing you should really do though is watch the explanation for every single question you do on LG. even if you zone out a bit while watching its still better than assuming you got the right answer for the right reason when you really made a mistake and got lucky.

• LRae2017LRae2017 Member
    edited August 2017 32 karma

Hello there,

I to am only about a month in. I haven't studied as much as I would like and also feel like its SO easy to push the studying aside. I am a stay at home mama but this baby sure does keep me busy. I try to study during her naps which is 2-3 hours. I am not far at all. When I read all of these questions I feel like I don't even know what majority of the abbreviations everyone is discussing so I just think maybe I haven't hit that section yet. I plan on taking the test in December. Which part of the course are you on?
    I am at the end of the "GRAMMAR" section.

Also, I just go down the list of my schedule, thats the right way of going about it right?
    Is everyone just using this site or are you also using other materials?

Thanks in advance!

• fisherpfisherp Member
    40 karma

@shannon_j I also work 40+ hours a week, so maybe my study schedule would also work into yours. I usually get up around 6am and work on studying/reviewing/drilling for about 1 hour and a half. I don't do anymore LSAT studying until evening around 6-8 or 8:30, sometimes I get home earlier and can start around 5. I find that this study schedule is great. I like it because it chops up study time and gives you a break.

Now that I am starting to apply the CC to the PT, I try to wake up at 4am one day a week to take a test before going to work. I then come home and BR and then use the schedule above to study/review/refresh etc...

Hope this helps!

Best of Luck :)

Paigelynn

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@fisherp said:
    @shannon_j I also work 40+ hours a week, so maybe my study schedule would also work into yours. I usually get up around 6am and work on studying/reviewing/drilling for about 1 hour and a half. I don't do anymore LSAT studying until evening around 6-8 or 8:30, sometimes I get home earlier and can start around 5. I find that this study schedule is great. I like it because it chops up study time and gives you a break.

Now that I am starting to apply the CC to the PT, I try to wake up at 4am one day a week to take a test before going to work. I then come home and BR and then use the schedule above to study/review/refresh etc...

Hope this helps!

Best of Luck :)

Paigelynn

I just wanted to say that as someone who works and studies as well, I really like the idea of biting the bullet and getting up at like 4am once a week to fit in a PT! I might try that out in the next couple of weeks. :) Thanks for sharing your awesome study schedule!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

CC --> Drill corresponding CC lesson --> PT --> Drill weaknesses/refer back to CC if needed --> PT

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
  • tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I think a lot of people feel like you when they first start; don't worry, soon studying will become a part of you and you'll get into a rhythm. I know a lot of people posted about their schedules, to add some variety, it might be helpful to gain tips on what to do while studying. I got the tips below from another 7Sager:

• While practicing questions, write down why you eliminated each answer choice and why you chose the answer choice you thought was correct
    • Review the questions
      -If you got the question right, reinforce to yourself why you got it right
      -If you got the question wrong, recall why you thought this was the right question and what you need to do differently

These steps take a little longer but they are so invaluable. Really understanding why you are getting answers wrong and what you are doing right is what makes you do better when learning any new skill.

I also got a three subject notebook to keep notes on each section. I may not remember all the notes, but studies have shown that actually writing notes down reinforces your brain to remember it.

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 260 karma

@"joshua.p.hillman" said:
    I ONLY STUDY 2-3 HOURS A DAY! @shannon_j When is your test? I'm assuming that you aren't taking it in September seeing as you have only just started. If you are taking the test in September that is fine, but I would treat it as a dry run in preparation for a later test. I also work 40 hours a week, and I DON'T BELIEVE IN STUDYING 8 HOURS A DAY! I just do 2-3 after work before I watch tv or go to bed.

I encourage you to start with Logic Games. Everyone says you gain the most from that and it's true. (I went from a 142 to a 155 in a month after getting my Games down) Also this eases you into the whole studying/LSAT mentality. Some of the LR stuff can really get you bogged down.

Work your way through a Type of Logic Game by watching the videos in the section, doing the problem sets, and then going to the Question Bank. finish about 10-15 question sets in the bank (I did 5 sets in a sitting, got up to do stuff, and came back the next day or later) and then move on to the next type of games video section in the syllabus. Just repeat that until you have done that for all the games.

Once I mastered all the games. I started on the LR using the same strategy. Do a section of videos, complete the problem sets, and then go to the question bank and knock 15-20 questions until i feel comfortable.

once you've done that. you can start taking practice tests every Saturday morning and reviewing them on Sundays.

Once you finish with LR you move onto the RC section. However you don't do RC every day. You go into a 3 day rotation of RC, LR, and LG. with tests on saturdays and review on sunday.

I suggest 6 months of studying, but give yourself a break. after my first test I took about a month off and then started reviewing again.

Good Luck!>

@"joshua.p.hillman"
    Josh! I've been trying to get a handle on each section as I go through the CC. Love the way you and @"Alex Divine" approach the CC and drills -:)

260 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Having the videos is super convenient and allows me to work from anywhere -- including lunch breaks, commutes, and even while walking down the street listening to a lesson.
    I think slow and steady is the mindset to approach the CC with. I take notes on every lessons, and admittedly, I don't always review them but I do think that it forces me to an active learning mindset rather than passively just watching videos.
    For LR, I approached most question types the same way. I would watch the lessons and do the corresponding problem sets. I would review the problem sets and evaluate how I felt about the question type. For main conclusion, I was pretty confident I had it nailed. But for other question types like Parallel Reasoning, it was clear I needed more practice. So for a lot of question types I did mixed timed/untimed drilling to learn.
    For LG, I would watch the lessons and then re-do the problem sets that followed many times. I began to fool proof games while watching the LG lessons as well.
    For RC, I watched the lessons and printed out the passages JY goes over. I then did many of the corresponding passages from the problem sets and reviewed them with JY's video explanations. It was time consuming but worth seeing exactly how JY approached the same passage. It helped me gain perspective on what is important in a passage and how to go about tackling different types of passage.
    My biggest advice is just to make sure you are memorizing what you can for this test. So any rules or conditional logic that JY says is important, commit to your memory. Also make sure you put a lot of time into mastering the fundamentals that undergird this entire test. With strong fundamentals the harder parts of this test become much more doable!

@"Alex Divine" Thanks for sharing!

1287 karma

i buy sour skittles and 2 monsters.. i message @tringo335 on her inbox to bug her.. i comment on @"Alex Divine" random comments.. i read one or two mangas as a method of procastination, then smudge #2 pincle on my face like war paint and rip an answer sheet while doing the hacka war cry and then i begin my studies :smile:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:
    i buy sour skittles and 2 monsters.. i message @tringo335 on her inbox to bug her.. i comment on @"Alex Divine" random comments.. i read one or two mangas as a method of procastination, then smudge #2 pincle on my face like war paint and rip an answer sheet while doing the hacka war cry and then i begin my studies :smile:

Lmao! I like your approach... I :heart: Sour Skittles!

3679 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:

basically you're saying messaging me and @"Alex Divine" is the key to a 180. :-P

1287 karma

@tringo335 @"Alex Divine" that and the skittles.. dont lie the moment i said sour skittles you started thinking .. mmmmm this guy knows what his doing.. its like he read my mind.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:
    @tringo335 @"Alex Divine" that and the skittles.. dont lie the moment i said sour skittles you started thinking .. mmmmm this guy knows what his doing.. its like he read my mind.

I can't deny that when you mentioned skittles that was my exact thought!

13286 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:

Don't sour skittles have a diminishing return though? I eat any more than a few and the inside of my mouth feels like the aftermath of WW2. Those things rip my tongue and cheeks apart!

1287 karma

@"Alex Divine" @tringo335 i feel like i just lost some respect for @LSATcantwin.. sir! you must start off slow like building up tolerance to a drug, try just the purple ones at first they are easier on the buds and only twice a day.. eventually you can go for the green ones, however please becareful i dont want you blaming me for any after math here.. you are assuming liability by following these directions any negligent consequence is at your own risk.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Sour Patch Kids > Sour Skittles.

All Day Every Day!!!!

3679 karma

I dunno @theLSATdreamer I have to agree with @LSATcantwin sour skittles are terrifying in your mouth lol. I am with @Freddy_D sour patch kids all day ... but not before Trolli Sour Gummy Worms .. yummmmmmmmmmm

13286 karma

@tringo335 said:
    I dunno @theLSATdreamer I have to agree with @LSATcantwin sour skittles are terrifying in your mouth lol. I am with @Freddy_D sour patch kids all day ... but not before Trolli Sour Gummy Worms .. yummmmmmmmmmm

http://media0.giphy.com/media/e90EzjvSAF8CQ/giphy.gif

3679 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@tringo335 said:

http://media0.giphy.com/media/e90EzjvSAF8CQ/giphy.gif

how did you find live footage of me eating sour skittles???

260 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:

LOL! This is so funny!

90 karma

I just wanted to say thank you so incredibly much for all your comments everyone! They have all been so helpful. I hope we all get into our top law school of choice (actually tho) :)

@tringo335 @"Alex Divine" @LSATcantwin @fisherp @dfletch5 @"Cant Get Right" @TheMikey @cam (and everyone else I'm unable to tag)

90 karma

hey everyone! I wanted to come back to this discussion group and get advice on something that's been on the back of my mind for the past few months, which is the struggle to juggle applying to law schools when I have yet to take the LSAT. I was planning to take the LSAT this December, 2017 but I have been having anxiety as to whether I can hit my target school LSAT median for my desired law schools.

Would you say it's the norm that people take the LSAT first and THEN apply or is it just as normal to apply then take the LSAT. There's just something in my gut that says to take the LSAT, do my absolute best, and the recalculate my game plan on which law schools to apply to then. I thought I'd get your guys' advice, thank you!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@shannon_j said:
    hey everyone! I wanted to come back to this discussion group and get advice on something that's been on the back of my mind for the past few months, which is the struggle to juggle applying to law schools when I have yet to take the LSAT. I was planning to take the LSAT this December, 2017 but I have been having anxiety as to whether I can hit my target school LSAT median for my desired law schools.

Would you say it's the norm that people take the LSAT first and THEN apply or is it just as normal to apply then take the LSAT. There's just something in my gut that says to take the LSAT, do my absolute best, and the recalculate my game plan on which law schools to apply to then. I thought I'd get your guys' advice, thank you!

if you apply without an LSAT score on your record, admissions won't bother with your application until there is a score. so take the LSAT first and then apply.