Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neck Pain

spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
in General 772 karma

As I'm currently fool proofing the games, I've been noticing that my neck is killing me. I'm guessing it's because my head is down and I'm focused and most likely a tense. If it gets bad enough, the pain literally will run down my arms. I've always struggled with back issues but it's always been centered in my low back. It surely does not help that I sit at a desk all day for work as well. Any suggestions from others with the same issue? Thanks!

Comments

• Socrat3sSocrat3s Alum Member
    92 karma

I have the same problem with my back. After 2ish hours of studying/testing my mid back starts aching. I would suggest getting up to walk around frequently (ideally before the pain starts or gets bad). You could also try pushing your back and neck up and down against one of those foam rollers...http://blog.booyafitness.com/foam-rolling/

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@spitzy11 said:
    If it gets bad enough, the pain literally will run down my arms.

Same here!! I rotate my arms every hour, but when it's severe, it doesn't really help.

I know there are some 7Sagers who are yoga teachers...I hope you guys could share some tips :wink:

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

Check your chair. I switched up from studying at a wooden dining room type chair to a ergonomic office chair and it's a world of difference. Not only can I sit longer before my back starts hurting when I'm just reading, it lets me sit back a bit more when I'm hunched over question sets, taking the tension out of my neck. Amazon has some ergonomic pillows that'll work as a cheaper workaround.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I have chronic neck and pain especially when working or studying. Tips from my doctor:

• Workout 30 minutes daily (any form of exercise helps eliminate back pain)
    • Drink 12 glasses of water daily (water hydrates the space in-between your discs which helps eliminate pain)
    • Consider taking glucosamine tablets daily to strengthen bone and cartilage.

I did all three of these for the past 3 weeks as well as incorporated yoga once a week into my workout routine and it completely eliminated my back pain. Good luck!

• cfield.3cfield.3 Alum Member
    60 karma

YOGA! Especially cat and cow poses! Also, watch your posture during tests and avoid slumping.
    http://www.chopra.com/articles/6-yoga-poses-to-help-relieve-neck-pain#sm.00001elxi6fm78cyjutbf51o0k8ar

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Always get up and walk around or even try study standing up if at all possible. Sitting down for extended periods of time is the new smoking.

I also realized that how I was sleeping was causing a good deal of my neck and back pain. So I looked up some recommended sleeping positions.

Lastly, I invested in a good chair to study in with plenty of lumbar support. They can be expensive, but I think it's a worthwhile investment if you're in it several hours a day.

I can't honestly say any of these things have been sufficient to eliminating my neck/back pain, but I do think they've all helped somewhat to lessen it.

Incidentally, everyone always recommends Yoga and I wish I had it in me to try it out. Sadly, I don't think I do :( Maybe I'll just start with some stretching and see how that goes? :weary:

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

@"cfield.3" Thanks for the link to the video! I'm definitely going to try these out.

Acupuncture does me wonders! There might be a community acupuncture spot nearby usually more affordable. Also, some health insurances cover the cost of acupuncture. For NYC folks - this is where I go: https://www.oloacupuncture.com/

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

i used to be a personal trainer, best advise i can give you is daily stretching, and there are some neck strengthening exercises that help, i work in an office so i stretch every morning because my neck and back are in that awkward sitting slumped position daily. but def try to get some exercise and stretching it'll help a lot

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Gladiator_2017 said:
    @"cfield.3" Thanks for the link to the video! I'm definitely going to try these out.

Acupuncture does me wonders! There might be a community acupuncture spot nearby usually more affordable. Also, some health insurances cover the cost of acupuncture. For NYC folks - this is where I go: https://www.oloacupuncture.com/

I'm located in NYC myself. How long does a session usually take?

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

@"Alex Divine" varies on how much time you have. I'd say anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour/1.5 is typical. Last time I went I was there for almost 2 hours since I also added cupping ($10 or 15 can't remember), which was another 10 minutes.

During the start of the session the acupuncturist will ask you how your schedule is looking and when is a good time for you to end. Then when it's time they'll gently wake you (well I usually fall asleep) and ask if you'd like more time. They're pretty generous at my spot, though I don't have any place to compare it to.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

The test has literally become a pain in the neck....that's so meta

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Gladiator_2017 said:
    @"Alex Divine" varies on how much time you have. I'd say anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour/1.5 is typical. Last time I went I was there for almost 2 hours since I also added cupping ($10 or 15 can't remember), which was another 10 minutes.

During the start of the session the acupuncturist will ask you how your schedule is looking and when is a good time for you to end. Then when it's time they'll gently wake you (well I usually fall asleep) and ask if you'd like more time. They're pretty generous at my spot, though I don't have any place to compare it to.

Ok cool. Thanks for the info. It's been something I've considered trying for quite some time.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    333 karma

Although studying in a special chair might be ideal for neck/back pain, you don't really have control over the type of chair/height of your desk on test day. I know when I took the June LSAT I got shafted and was put in one of those handicapped desks that are a few inches higher than literally every other desk in the room, which made it feel awkward to do games because I'm not used to doing them on a table that's so damn high.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited August 2017 609 karma

There's this one desk at my school library that can be adjusted so that i can lift the keyboard area up close to my chest, so I'm not leaning over too much, that usually helps me go extended periods of practice testing. For lsat or even regular potential exam questions. For at home i also bought an expensive chair.

• FutureSportsLawyerFutureSportsLawyer Alum Member
    109 karma

This happens to me all the time. I stretch and walk around everyone so often so I'm not super stiff. Also, I'm literally so extra and buy Groupon massage packages lol. I feel like I've earned them after this much prep!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@FutureSportsLawyer said:
    This happens to me all the time. I stretch and walk around everyone so often so I'm not super stiff. Also, I'm literally so extra and buy Groupon massage packages lol. I feel like I've earned them after this much prep!

I feel like I can justify deserving a massage package too at this point. Thanks for the great idea, haha. :sunglasses:

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

Thank you so much everyone!!! I am going to get a massage at the Chiro/acupuncture place I go to tomorrow, so we will see if that will remedy the situation! I've had acupuncture before on my back and wrist (had a minor tear from from doing triceps wrong at the gym). That pain was absolutely horrible. I've never had acupuncture done at an office other than that one, but the doctor went and poked the necessary places quickly, but it was really really painful. I'll work on stretching more and finding a better chair :) thanks guys!

• conrad.pconrad.p Member
    48 karma

I have spent many years at a desk job and experimenting with yoga, pilates, and other forms of exercise. I have also suffered from neck and upper back pain. A lot of these issues are greatly reduced by the proper ergonomic equipment. As a supplement, I highly recommend this video:

• conrad.pconrad.p Member
    48 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:
    i used to be a personal trainer, best advise i can give you is daily stretching, and there are some neck strengthening exercises that help, i work in an office so i stretch every morning because my neck and back are in that awkward sitting slumped position daily. but def try to get some exercise and stretching it'll help a lot

It really is amazing what the "30 minutes a day" of exercise advice can actually do for your body. It can change your life. People do not heed this enough.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

@"conrad.p" yeah and its addicting .. lately i also started 5 min a day of meditation but i want to increase i hear its suppose to be amazing.