Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you Team LG or Team LR?

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited August 2017 in General 13286 karma

I'm curious as to why there seems to be such a clearly delineated set of camps on the LSAT.

There is team LG - Who think LG are the best thing on earth. This is where we can consistently go -0 in 28min and feel confident in our answers. We pray we get LG as our experimental section because we love them so much. LR makes us cringe a bit, we might be okay at it, but we sure could use some improvement.

Then there is team LR - LR just comes naturally to them. Typically going -2 or less a section they blow through LR. Finishing early with time to review. They love everything about LR, no question type really throws them for a loop and they always feel confident in their answers. LG make them cringe a bit, they can get through the games but never with confidence and miss a fair chunk of points here.

I've been around these forms, Reddit and a couple of others and it seems people typically fall into one of these two camps. Very envious of the other.

I am team LG - the games come naturally to me, I love them and they are easy. LR on the other hand....how do you people do it?!

Which team are you?
Why do you think this is?

What team?
  1. Team LG or LR?73 votes
    1. LG
      35.62%
    2. LR
      30.14%
    3. Screw you, I'm team RC.
      20.55%
    4. TEAM WRITING SAMPLE!!!
      13.70%

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Definitely team LR. LR has always been my favorite and came somewhat naturally to me.

However, it took me a long time and lots of work to get decent at games. My spacial reasoning skills are lacking.

I think I like LR a bit better from my academic background. That's really the only plausible reason I can think of right now.

I'm envious of you and those that are good at games. I constantly have to do games to stay fast and consistent.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    Definitely team LR. LR has always been my favorite and came somewhat naturally to me.

However, it took me a long time and lots of work to get decent at games. My spacial reasoning skills are lacking.

I think I like LR a bit better from my academic background. That's really the only plausible reason I can think of right now.

I'm envious of you and those that are good at games. I constantly have to do games to stay fast and consistent.

I am envious of you as well haha.

It's interesting though, I was a political science major. One would assume that I would be all about LR and less about LG. My mind just understands the mechanics of games better though.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I am envious of you as well haha.

It's interesting though, I was a political science major. One would assume that I would be all about LR and less about LG. My mind just understands the mechanics of games better though.

Yeah, studied PoliSci-Economics-Philosophy and I think all definitely helped with LR. Then again, you might very well be biologically/naturally predisposed to being good at games! Some people can just see the game pieces and manipulate them in their mind's eye. I completely and utterly suck at games, haha. Teach me your ways!!!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I'm team RC. The questions are whatever, but I LOVE reading the passages.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I definitely have an affinity for LR that I lack in LG. Team LR here, although it did not come naturally at all!

edited August 2017 13286 karma

@Freddy_D Ahh yes, team RC. I see them as the Hufflepuff of LSAT. Yes they exist but everyone is really looking at Sytherin(LR) and Gryffindor(LG).

@"Cant Get Right" LR is such an annoyance, I went - 5 in one section today and - 0 in another. Wheres the consistency? How did I miss 5 and then miss none! What is happening?

LG was -1. Predictable. Logical. Consistent. Reliable and fun.

@"Alex Divine" I tried to teach my girl friend my ways this weekend. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't see how she wasn't making the inferences and connections.

Another fun tip - don't study for the LSAT with your significant other if they are good at LR and you are good at LG. It was a nightmare and full of statements like "BUT HOW?!"

• kvbusbeekvbusbee Member
    99 karma

Team LG all the way! I actually find the games really fun and I am super crossing my fingers that I get an LG experimental in September. On the other hand, RC is my mortal enemy. So I'll probably end up with that as my experimental.

13286 karma

@kvbusbee said:
    Team LG all the way! I actually find the games really fun and I am super crossing my fingers that I get an LG experimental in September. On the other hand, RC is my mortal enemy. So I'll probably end up with that as my experimental.

I know the feeling. LG is by and far my favorite section. A 2 LG test would be amazing! So of course I'm in the same boat and will get like 3 LR sections....

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

LG because it's what makes me hopeful that I can pull a 170+

2983 karma

Looks like I'm the odd man out with my RC love :sweat_smile:

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 776 karma

LG all day, every day. The fact I can CONFIDENTLY answer everything and literally prove every single thing is so satisfying. I'm a literature major so you would think RC was my favorite but it's essentially a glorified LR section. I like being able to PROVE things. That's what my major is about, taking rules and facts and figures and making it happen. LG is like my best friend when I see it on a PT. I literally breathe a sigh of relief.

13286 karma

@vtm14 said:
    LG all day, every day. The fact I can CONFIDENTLY answer everything and literally prove every single thing is so satisfying. I'm a literature major so you would think RC was my favorite but it's essentially a glorified LR section. I like being able to PROVE things. That's what my major is about, taking rules and facts and figures and making it happen. LG is like my best friend when I see it on a PT. I literally breathe a sigh of relief.

Exactly! I hate the feeling of being torn between two AC on LR. I never feel that in Lg, or if I do it's rare.

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    2301 karma

Team Edward! Being immortal would give me time to master the LSAT...

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

LR, i also find that people who did some sort of PHL maj or min have an easier time prepping for LR.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited August 2017 9372 karma

Surprised to see so many Team LR here!

I'm definitely

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT39D6uaazBPUhuCBi/giphy.gif

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    260 karma

@vtm14 said:
    LG all day, every day. The fact I can CONFIDENTLY answer everything and literally prove every single thing is so satisfying...LG is like my best friend when I see it on a PT. I literally breathe a sigh of relief. >

Wow! So cool! Working hard to get to this point -:)

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

Definitely was lacking in my natural LG ability, but I'll take LG all day. I try to make it a competition with myself. For some reason I think I breathe more when I do LG too haha. I think it's because there is less bias and it's easier to see the flaws. I am with you on hoping my experimental is LG in September!!

• blljhnsn35blljhnsn35 Free Trial Member
    64 karma

Team WS (writing sample). My June writing sample would have convinced every one of you to be pro toll bridge.

• sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
    159 karma

@blljhnsn35 said:
    Team WS (writing sample). My June writing sample would have convinced every one of you to be pro toll bridge.

That is a next level 180 response!

13286 karma

@blljhnsn35 said:

If 7Sage had something like Reddit gold, you woulda just got it haha

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    662 karma

@Freddy_D said:

same here! I definitely love reading why corn is more productive than other crops and how riddled basins of attraction works!

• dishwasherdishwasher Member
    34 karma

@"Testing..." said:

@Freddy_D said:

same here! I definitely love reading why corn is more productive than other crops and how riddled basins of attraction works!

'tis truly a shame isn't it. If we weren't under the gun, I believe the passages, by their own merits, would make for nice little relaxing reads on the john.

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Haha I'm here with you! Team LR from day one. And RC. My english degree and lifelong bookworm status probably have something to do with this, but I now get about -3 on LR total in two sections and -2 in RC. Games still give me chest pains now and again (more often than I'd like to admit tbh) but logical reasoning has always been my LSAT happy place haha

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

I am team LG but wish i was team LR bc i feel thats where you really get those points stacking up.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Team LR! ..... however; after doing the first LG section with 7Sage it was SOO fun .. so I may be converting? *gasp!

776 karma

@dfletch5 said:

@vtm14 said:
    LG all day, every day. The fact I can CONFIDENTLY answer everything and literally prove every single thing is so satisfying...LG is like my best friend when I see it on a PT. I literally breathe a sigh of relief. >

Wow! So cool! Working hard to get to this point -:)

You'll get there for sure! Everything just clicked one day, I'm at the point where I just write out the set up and go. The rules may or may not get turned into lawgic depending on how complicated they are. I tend to find "stickier" rules that aren't straight forward easier to retain if I convert. I build my set up with all the rules and just go for it. I occasionally leave behind a question that would take up time and come back to it later. You'll get to this point! Logic games are essentially a gift on this test!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

LG for sure!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'm an odd one maybe... I enjoy LG a lot more but am way better at LR. 7sage is definitely helping me be more accurate at LR but I started out pretty decent, they didn't seem that hard to me. But I more enjoy solving a puzzle and putting it all together. For the life of me though, I can't improve my speed and can't seem to finish a single LG section in time. Sigh. Glutton for punishment perhaps.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Added a poll ;)

13286 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Added a poll ;)

Huh...why didn't I think of that....

• Warren ChuWarren Chu Alum Member
    19 karma

Team LR forsure!! Not sure what it is, but even after scoring well in LG, every section still makes me a little nervous

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1084 karma

Definitely RC. LR second.
    LG, the bane of my existence

I've always been way more comfortable with ambiguity and subtle interpretation than with black and white answers. Maybe that plays into this :)

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma

Everyone is objectively team RC. Why is this even a question???

• conrad.pconrad.p Member
    edited August 2017 48 karma

Sadly, I don't have a team. I miss 1-3 consistently in every section, now. I guess LR is my easiest section. RC is second, because it's the section I get -0 on the least often. LG is kind of tied with RC. While I think it is usually the easiest section, every 5 tests or so I can get kind of screwed by a surprising LG question. They are really harmful to high scores if you overlook a single important detail, much more so than the other two sections. I also do not like how the skills developed for LG are pretty stupid, not real-life skills. It's like being able to fill out a NYT crossword. It does not really teach you anything.

• checht14checht14 Alum Member
    9 karma

I think games is easier, but has harsher time constraints and has the possibility that you'll get blindsided and have a bad section. Reasoning is more consistent, but harder to get perfect.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Whoa! I didn't know that was a choice. > @"conrad.p" said:

Sadly, I don't have a team. I miss 1-3 consistently in every section, now. I guess LR is my easiest section. RC is second, because it's the section I get -0 on the least often. LG is kind of tied with RC. While I think it is usually the easiest section, every 5 tests or so I can get kind of screwed by a surprising LG question. They are really harmful to high scores if you overlook a single important detail, much more so than the other two sections. I also do not like how the skills developed for LG are pretty stupid, not real-life skills. It's like being able to fill out a NYT crossword. It does not really teach you anything.

I'll trade in my team to be only missing 3 per section, haha ;)

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Its great that you didnt mention a team RC. Lol.

13286 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    Its great that you didnt mention a team RC. Lol.

Wait, there's RC on this test? :P

1723 karma

Lol, ive been treating the RC as experimental ?

1723 karma

;p

edited August 2017 2983 karma

I wish the LSAT was a group test where you can pick your own group. We could have an LG expert, an RC expert, and an LR expert on the same team. We could be the Golden State Warriors of the LSAT. #superteam :smiley:

776 karma

@lipsitz said:

@Victoria14 said:

I can help make the rc more bearable. The lg section is really tripping me up, could use help

I'll trade! Inbox me and I'll see how I can help ?

4196 karma

@lipsitz said:

@TheMikey said:
    LG because it's what makes me hopeful that I can pull a 170+

If you could help me with games would be very greatful

what exactly do you need help with?

4196 karma

@lipsitz said:

That is the problem, if I knew what was going wrong i would fix it

I can't really give advice if I don't know what it is that is going wrong. How do you approach LG? Do you miss most of the questions? Do you have an issue with making game boards? is it a specific game type? or is it just generally you don't know how to approach anything in the LG section?