Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Games Study Advice

Socrat3sSocrat3s Alum Member
in General 92 karma

I'm currently at the point where my test scores range between 166-172 and I rarely miss more than two questions per reasoning section. However, my performance on the other sections is more volatile, particularly on games (-1 to -8). I studied intensively for about 1.5 months in preparation for the Dec 2016 test, which I cancelled. I then took roughly 8 months off before recently resuming studying for Sep. My improvement on games has been steady but slow and I still often run out of time on 2 or more questions. Can anyone offer some suggestions for study methods beyond the foolproof method? I drilled 20 dif games so far today but my performance started slipping by the 16th or 17th game...thanks!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 3279 karma

Disclaimer: I'm terrible at LGs and still improving.
    I found some of this article useful:
    https://lsathacks.com/guide/faq/how-to-go-faster-logic-games/

In addition to fool proofing, are your monitoring how you approach questions? I keep track of little habits I have, and tweak them to see which is better on average (not just on that game). You're a high scorer already, so perhaps now you should look into videotaping yourself or hiring a tutor to watch you?

I'm interested to see what others say.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I don't know if you have heard about @Pacifico 's LG Attack Strategy, but if you haven't, you should check it out:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I was at a similar spot as you in February. I am naturally good at the logical reasoning and reading comp missing an average of about 3 total on those sections. But, going into the February test I couldn't do well on the games. I didn't finish them on the test, but didn't cancel and ended up with a 172.

I am reataking because I had consistently read logic games were the most improvable section. I'm not sure how you should modify this given the limited time before September, but I began studying again in late May. I bought the 7 Sage starer package, went through the core curriculum quickly(about two weeks since my part time job hadn't started yet) slowing down for the games videos. Then I printed 4 copies of the games from tests 1-35 and did one new section of game a day, watched the explanation videos, redid the game from that day, redid the gane from the day before, and redid the game from the week before. This is the Pacifico method.

I also took two PT's every Saturday morning.

Right now I am going through whole PT's using the twenty newest PT's, since I wanted exposure to the newer games under test like conditions. In tests 62 to 66 I have finished all but one games section, though I felt rushed on several.

It helps me a little to save time by not checking that answers are wrong once I have already determined the right answer. Jy says that in the videos, but I sometimes catch myself still doing it. I have also really flew through the first two games in a couple of the PT's 62-66 leaving more 27 minutes or more to struggle through the next two. If you get an easy grouping or linear game, you want to go through it quickly.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1084 karma

Wish I had advice but all I can say is I feel you. LG has been consistently my worst section, no matter how much foolproofing I do. I usually get all the answers right, or near all, when I Blind Review. But I just can't seem to get them under timed conditions and my score varies from -5 to -9 in LG. Will keep plugging away...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

How quickly are you able to do the easier games? It's very important to get these done quickly to give yourself more time for any difficult games.

Are you able to properly diagram most games without a problem and in a timely manner?

I agree with @10000019 that how to monitor your approach to the questions themselves is quite important as well. I think once you know how to diagram and are decently proficient with all the different games, it comes down to your strategy of attacking the question. Simply eliminating ACs from the usual first standard acceptable situation question as you write the rules out is a way to cut down on time. Also skipping over global MBT questions in order to tackle questions that give you more info and require you to write out a hypo can be helpful for answering other questions.

• dfletch5dfletch5 Alum Member
    260 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    How quickly are you able to do the easier games? It's very important to get these done quickly to give yourself more time for any difficult games.

Are you able to properly diagram most games without a problem and in a timely manner?

I agree with @10000019 that how to monitor your approach to the questions themselves is quite important as well. I think once you know how to diagram and are decently proficient with all the different games, it comes down to your strategy of attacking the question. Simply eliminating ACs from the usual first standard acceptable situation question as you write the rules out is a way to cut down on time. Also skipping over global MBT questions in order to tackle questions that give you more info and require you to write out a hypo can be helpful for answering other questions.

@"Alex Divine" I feel you know so much about this test. You should definitely be a tutor. Can you explain your process more? I wouldn't mind talking to you via Skype or Google Hangout to see this strategy in real time -:)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@dfletch5 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" I feel you know so much about this test. You should definitely be a tutor. Can you explain your process more? I wouldn't mind talking to you via Skype or Google Hangout to see this strategy in real time -:)

I'm always learning as much as I can about this test, lol.
    If you've having issues with games I'd be happy to explain it to you some more via Google Hangouts or whatever platform is easiest. I usually go on Discord and use WeChat app. Most of the strategies are pretty straightforward and easy to learn/implement.