Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MP questions

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member

Are the MP questions in PT1-35 representative of the MP questions on the newer tests? I know how to find the conclusion and main point, but for some reason I do not seem to get all of them right even though I should when I am drilling. I have done the corresponding problem sets and went over the CC covering MP and how to identify conclusions for the second time.. and I have gotten them all correct so I don't know what's going on.

HELP!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    Are the MP questions in PT1-35 representative of the MP questions on the newer tests? I know how to find the conclusion and main point, but for some reason I do not seem to get all of them right even though I should when I am drilling. I have done the corresponding problem sets and went over the CC covering MP and how to identify conclusions for the second time.. and I have gotten them all correct so I don't know what's going on.

HELP!

Are you maybe being tricked into choosing sub-conclusions? Are you too narrowly looking for traditional conclusion indicators such as "therefore, thus, for this reason..." ?

Do you have any idea where you're having trouble with these or why?

I haven't seen many of the PTs in the late 70s, but I don't believe MP questions have changed much. There might be some longer stims and such in the newer tests, though you should approach them the same way. So I don't think you'll have any trouble on newer MP Qs if you don't with the older ones.

I guess if you're getting them all right now then you're on the right path. I find that you want to not only make sure you are getting these 100% right, but that you can do so relatively quickly. One of my problems with MP questions was spending too much time on them.

I'll also say that these are one of the few questions that I advocate having a strong pre-phrase for before looking at the answer choices.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I would say MP questions haven't really changed. My reasoning is that it just asks you what the MC is, and all LR questions that are arguments have a conclusion, you just have to pick it out.

Like alex mentioned, you may be getting trickyed into thinking a sub conc is a main conc. You may be getting tricked by context as well in the harder questions perhaps? If you're stuck between what seems like 2 conclusions (1 sub, 1 main), just ask yourself "ok MC because SC". If it makes sense then you're gold, but if it doesn't make sense then flip it around and try to figure out which conclusion supports the other.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

Who knows. These questions should be gimmes but they're satan.